The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a boozy night after the game. Needed to drown my sorrows! Ended up in Abbotsford at a pub that had $6 pints of Furphys for Happy Hour! I'm loving this beer at the moment!

Disgraceful that the fitness thread runs to 52 pages as the beer thread tops out at 16
We need to lift..... might have a beer and ponder

Any tips for a novice? I've got space and time. I'm in the tropics but have a spare fridge to ferment in.
Haven't done it for years.

My best brew ever though was a Stout, only (I believe) because I used malt instead of white sugar.

Haven't done it for years.

My best brew ever though was a Stout, only (I believe) because I used malt instead of white sugar.

I have a few mates up here who are right into brewing. They won't touch sugar at all in their brews. Malt is what they use.

Challenges up here are with the temperatures. Our temperatures are steady which is good. But for most of the year it's too hot even for ales. And forget about lagers and the like, without a temp controlled fridge.

I'm not so keen on ales personally. Too heavy and too much sediment. I like lagers and drys. Which are harder and longer to brew. I'm thinking of just starting on an ale and working up to lagers. Learn some techniques first.

I'd love to progress to some Japanese style beers. I like em' because they're clean, crisp and pack a punch. My favourite beer is a Japanese beer that uses rice as the grain. It might be hard here to replicate.

I'm just keen on a new project really, and while I have beer favourites, I'm actually not that fussy (although it might sound like it) so will pick something to learn on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few mates up here who are right into brewing. They won't touch sugar at all in their brews. Malt is what they use.

Challenges up here are with the temperatures. Our temperatures are steady which is good. But for most of the year it's too hot even for ales. And forget about lagers and the like, without a temp controlled fridge.

I'm not so keen on ales personally. Too heavy and too much sediment. I like lagers and drys. Which are harder and longer to brew. I'm thinking of just starting on an ale and working up to lagers. Learn some techniques first.

I'd love to progress to some Japanese style beers. I like em' because they're clean, crisp and pack a punch. My favourite beer is a Japanese beer that uses rice as the grain. It might be hard here to replicate.

I'm just keen on a new project really, and while I have beer favourites, I'm actually not that fussy (although it might sound like it) so will pick something to learn on.

home brewing is great fun and a rewarding hobby... particularly the drinking bit.

Best advice I can give is to ensure you are using clean and sanitised equipment - believe me you do not want any nasty little bacteria finding their way into your beer.
As you say, temperature is vital for the beer to fement correctly - Darwin would be a big challenge for Lagers but if you've got the fridge there should be no stopping you.
Well worth documenting every brew you make too - if you do make one you're especially happy with, you will at least know what you did and should be able to replicate it. I had a book with details of each of the 90 or so brews I managed to produce and it ended up being a great resource.
Also, you might want to consider using better quality ingredients, such as actual hops, grains and liquid yeast - these will undoubtedly give you better results and don't have to cost the earth.
There are heaps of good kits beers that can produce very good imitations of popular commercial beers, I assume this will include the Asahi's of this world.
Anyway, good luck and would love to hear how you get on.

Just bought a sixer of Collingwood Draught - anyone tried it before?

I have tried it, resembles our forward line without Elliott, Moore and Fasolo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back