The Best 90 albums of the 1990's - Paste Magazine

Remove this Banner Ad

driver 8

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty interesting list... thought some of you might like to have a flick through.

I personally don't have too many arguments with their opinion

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/02/the-90-best-albums-of-the-1990s.html

For those who can't be bothered, the top 10:

10 The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
9 Blue Album - Weezer
8 Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
7 Automatic for the People - R.E.M.
6 Odelay - Beck
5 Achtung Baby - U2
4 Grace - Jeff Buckley
3 Nevermind - Nirvana
2 In the Aeroplane Over the Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel
1 Ok Computer - Radiohead

As a definitive list of the albums that shaped the 90's, this list is a winner. These are 90 albums that made an impact.

But purely as a 'best' albums of the 90's list, it seems a little safe and tame. You could almost rank a list like this without listening to most of the albums. It has the feel of a best-of list that has barely cracked the surface of 90's music, and gone for all the regular choices. ie, electronic music is represented by Aphex Twin, Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk, nice try buddy.
Also, there seems to be a focus on one entry from each act, although I noticed Wilco, Radiohead and Elliot Smith had double/triple entries, probably amongst others. Mezzanine in the 60's is a little silly.

But as a 'definitive' list of the 90 albums that shaped the 90's, it's good. Notable big albums that arent in the list, whether I like them or not, are Blue Lines, Ray of Light, BloodSugarSexMagic, Aenima, Definitly Maybe, etc.

If you look at the 2000's movie list as well, it's a little one-note and boring, and while having most universally-praised films, once again looks like it has barely scratched the surface.

Edit: Looking through their lists, they are all worthy attempts imo. However they are all very 'trendy' and soulless.

Funny how tastes are different when it comes to 90s music.

Barely any albums from the 100 on this list would make my Top 20.

The 90's was my era, in terms of being in my late teens to mid 20's but seriously I haven't heard a third of that s**t.

Am I alone in never hearing of album 2 on that list?

A very poplular album, but quite a dull affair for mine.

Number one was a no brainer and hard to argue with the others as being quality, whether we personally like them or not.

There is an interesting mini-doco on The Soft Bulletin if anyone cares to find it.

Number one was a no brainer and hard to argue with the others as being quality, whether we personally like them or not.

I'll argue it. In the 90? Sure. Number one? Maybe not. It can be a very hard album to listen to at times. There's certainly no way I'll ever have it on repeat when it's playing...one play every so often is more than enough of that mood.

That's the one. I didn't know where I had seen it but did enjoy the viewing. Thanks. :thumbsu:

I'll argue it. In the 90? Sure. Number one? Maybe not. It can be a very hard album to listen to at times. There's certainly no way I'll ever have it on repeat when it's playing...one play every so often is more than enough of that mood.

There'll always be arguments as to whether A is better than B, but O.K. Computer will probably get less arguments than for most other decades' best album nominations.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik missing

wtf?

Not a massive fan but that was a monster album that was very edgy and influential at the time.

Ten, Siamese Dream, and RATM should be a lot lower.

Good to see someone has some idea about music by putting NMH in there at 2.

But no 'Dirt'???? well I can't have that, especially when Counting Crows are in the top 20.

Depeche Mode's 'Violator' , Music Has a Right To Children by Boards Of Canada and Air's 'Moon Safari' are other glaring omissions for me.

How the hell does a band like Weezer get in the Top 10? Geez.

I didn't bother checking but I presume there is no Shellac 'At Action Park' or Slint 'Spiderland' in the Top 100?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see one of my favourite albums of all time, Pulp's Different Class, in there, though IMO it should be much higher.:D

That's another glaring omission, and no Ween albums either.

I gave up looking for Ween albums in any lists about 10 years ago. Ween have fans but none of them are music journos obviously.

The 90's was my decade. The only albums on the list that I own(ed) are:

Sonic Youth - Goo
Steve Earle - El Corazon
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Billy Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Wilco - Being There
Wilco - Summerteeth

The only ones that'd make my top 20.

Counting Crows FFS

How the hell does a band like Weezer get in the Top 10? Geez.

I didn't bother checking but I presume there is no Shellac 'At Action Park' or Slint 'Spiderland' in the Top 100?

I'm guessing you haven't heard the two albums they made in the 90's, it's not the same band as today.

Actually, both should have made the top 10. Personally, the Blue Album and Pinkerton would duke out with OK Computer,Grace, Nevermind and Definitely Maybe as the best albums of that decade.

A little disappointing the author completely ignored metal, or pretty much anything with a heavier edge to it.

Metal grew a lot in the 90's with bands such as Megadeth and Pantera having #1 albums in the US (and also AU for Pantera), Tool's Aenima at #2, Korn had #1 albums, and that's before getting to heavier rock bands like RHCP, Faith No More, Soundgarden, RATM, NIN, who were obviously a lot bigger.

As others have said, Tool's Aenima is huge omission. It should be in all-time lists, let alone the 90's.

Another which surprised me to be missing was Metallica's black album. Sure I personally prefer some their other albums from the 80's, but it's the biggest selling metal album of all time (top 40 all-time for any genre). 25M albums sold (5M less than Nevermind in #3) is surely and indication a few people liked that album.

And although I never expected it to be there, and I'm sure many non-metal fans will disagree, but Megadeth's Rust In Peace well and truly deserves to be there - it's still considered by many as one of the best metal albums ever made.

RYM has Rust in Peace at #14 for the 90's, sitting between Nirvana and Jeff Buckley, as the highest rated metal album (Aenima is at #23)
http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1990s

I'd also like to nominate Kyuss' Welcome to Sky Valley, but doubt that would have any chance of getting into these types of lists, unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back