Toast The Big 4 all getting over a million people through the gate in season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of states I think the most popular vic clubs are

Victoria- collingwood
NSW - collingwood
Act - collingwood
Queensland - Collingwood
SA - Carlton (used to be collingwood until port joined the afl)
WA - Essendon
NT - Essendon
TAS - Hawthorn

Ahh yes, just making up your own territories. Do you have any data on this?

In Vic, you could throw a blanket over any of rich, pies, ess and carl
NSW again most would travel from Vic to NSW to see their team play. You don't know if Coll has more support than other teams, you're just proclaiming to be.
In QLD what makes you think you are the biggest? The big 4 all would have claims. In 2020 these are the membership numbers from the finals teams. Having worked in membership, Richmond is now on 4.7K in QLD which is very good.

You mention Hawks in Tassie, I can only go by friends who live there and they say Tassie is full of Richmond supporters.
The highest attended match in Tasmania is 20,971, between Hawthorn and Richmond on 18 June 2006.

Richmond has many top players who have come from Tassie. Royce Hart, Richo, Riewoldt, Stweart, Gale, Roach, and Nankervs to name a few. Reason enough for may Tasmanians to follow the tigers. Same as Blues in SA many top-end players have come from SA to the Blues and south australians have gone on to support the Blues.

Keven Sheedy did a great job in NT and flow-on effect WA for the bombers. Richmond has grown immensely in NT too as we lead the way with its indigenous programs. Korin Gamadji Institute (KGI)

AFL QLD MEMBERSHIP 2 .jpg

Collingwood are big everywhere in covid Collingwood played Geelong in wa in front of 22,000 and there were probably around 15,000 pies fans. Collingwood would be top 3 or 4 most popular clubs in WA, South Australia, Northern Territory. Not sure on Tassie as pies have never played in Tassie but in 2021 Collingwood was meant to play hawthorn and collingwood’s 7,000 seat membership allocation sold out in 10 minutes. But I do agree Essendon and carlton might be slightly ahead of the pies in WA but not by much.

In terms of states I think the most popular vic clubs are

Victoria- collingwood
NSW - collingwood
Act - collingwood
Queensland - Collingwood
SA - Carlton (used to be collingwood until port joined the afl)
WA - Essendon
NT - Essendon
TAS - Hawthorn

North always been popular in WA, but reality is outside of the Eagles abd Dockers all clubs in WA are very very tiny.

Mate what is this Google search business, you and Dave come on. I am a GOLD AFL member and a Platinum Richmond member. I don't google search. I either go straight to my club's website or FB or Insta via my phone apps or PC via my bookmarks.

If I had to type in my team, I would just type in Richmond. Do people type in FC after their team?

Google searches I know you're big on it mate as is Dave well he is more super coach but this doesn't have any bearing on people through the gates. Or buying memberships or following your team via socials.

Just on Super Coach, In my family (+ extended family) we have about 25 Richmond all members, from under 10, teens, early to mid 20's, early to mid 30's and 40's and 50's, not one of us is on Supertcoach, I wouldnt even know where to go and I am a deadset footy buff.

Anyways, guess each to their own, I'll let you guys continue on ;)
Google is the most used platform on the internet and covers a wider range of people and data than social media. I'm making the point when measuring the largest metric Collingwood and Carlton are 1 and and 2. Our president said "No club worldwide matches our supporter base".

I also take note of what a lot experts say too like non Carlton people writing articles stating "Collingwood and Carlton are the biggest clubs in the league" ... If it is a Collingwood Carlton GF it will be the biggest GF of all time" No other two clubs are mentioned in same sentence "No clubs generate the interest Collingwood and Carlton do".

I read an article by Michael Gleeson in the Age and it said "Carlton have a bigger underlying supporter base than Richmond and Hawthorn.

Google is the most used platform on the internet and covers a wider range of people and data than social media. I'm making the point when measuring the largest metric Collingwood and Carlton are 1 and and 2. Our president said "No club worldwide matches our supporter base".

I also take note of what a lot experts say too like non Carlton people writing articles stating "Collingwood and Carlton are the biggest clubs in the league" ... If it is a Collingwood Carlton GF it will be the biggest GF of all time" No other two clubs are mentioned in same sentence "No clubs generate the interest Collingwood and Carlton do".

I read an article by Michael Gleeson in the Age and it said "Carlton have a bigger underlying supporter base than Richmond and Hawthorn.

Carlton are easily bigger than Richmond. I have no bias in this as I hate Carlton more than anything on the planet.

'They have always been the loudest in real life and the Collingwood fans remain the loudest in the digital world, too.
No AFL club outside of the black and white army can boast a social media following of more than one million.
And the gap is only getting bigger as the Magpies boast more than 200,000 more followers across Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly known as Twitter) and TikTok than nearest rival Richmond.
That gap between first-ranked Magpies and second-ranked Tigers is bigger than the gap between Richmond and 10th-placed Sydney.
Long seen as a power club, the numbers prove Collingwood is ahead of all others.'

From the Herald Sun

It is the Big ONE COLLINGWOOD

Most members
Biggest Crowd Attendances
Just about every crowd record
Most Social Media

After that I think

Carlton and Essendon are close
Richmond is a long way behind in 4th.

Yes I read that and you're riding the wave and good for the pies, but you do realize these types of articles re most members, attendances etc can be said about other teams when on top. Here are 3, part article and 2 screenshots on Richmond.

Tigers fans loom as Richmond's secret weapon

By ABC Sport

Mon 30 Jul 2018

Richmond fans were loud as ever during Saturday's clash with Collingwood.(AAP: Daniel Pockett)

As the great Richmond coach Tom Hafey liked to tell his players "there's nothing more tigerish than a tiger".

But if that is amusingly self-evident, there is now something even more tigerish than the tenacious Richmond team that is moving inexorably toward back-to-back premierships — the Tiger fans.

The MCG has heard many mighty roars: Dennis Lillee knocking over Viv Richards with the last ball before stumps, the Socceroos' first two goals against Iran in that inevitably ill-fated World Cup qualifier, and Betty Cuthbert breasting the tape at the 1956 Olympics are just some of the moments that rocked the old girl's foundations.

But the ear-splitting, guttural noise that rose from the crowd of 88,110 when the grinning Tiger Jack Higgins kicked his miraculous party trick of a goal against Collingwood on Saturday surely earned a place on the MCG's list of greatest audio hits.

To behold the Tiger Army at that moment was to believe the MCG crowd had become Richmond's 19th Player or a weapon for a very good team with a handful of bone fide stars on the verge of statistical greatness as the 22nd VFL/AFL team to defend the title.

But if there were a few suspiciously shiny new yellow and black scarves in the grandstands on Saturday, it is not merely the number of Tiger fans that is impressive but their intimidating ferocity.

Every Richmond attack was met with rapturous acclaim, every Collingwood free kick was disputed with outraged jeers and every final-quarter goal caused a major eruption as the tiring Pies were put to the sword.

Yellow and Black! drowns out MCG neutrality

The MCG is a supposedly neutral venue, particularly against co-tenant Collingwood which markets itself as "Australia's biggest football club".

But as the Tiger faithful belted out another thumping chorus of Tigerland — Yellow and Black! — with bloodthirsty venom, the territorial war had been won.

Measuring the advantage such raucous support provides is impossible and, for the Tigers, the comforts of home include more than just the most emotionally invested fans Melbourne have seen since The Beatles toured.

There has been much talk about the "noise of affirmation" at Perth and Adelaide where lopsided free kick counts are supposedly the result of umpires influenced by the vocal home crowd.

But despite the constant craving of the Tiger fans, the umpires had little impact on Saturday.

Rather, the Richmond crowd produced the "noise of confirmation"; a bloodcurdling postscript to the heroics of their players that seems to inspire them to even greater heights.

Playing with a smile, the heart-on-the-sleeve Riewoldt particularly seems almost as pleased by the eruption his goals cause as their influence on the result.

Right now there is no other noise in Australian sport quite like it.

tigers fans 2.jpg

tigers fans 3.jpg

Last edited:

Imo i highly doubt it but it is an opinion that's fine, but like I said to south of the yarra articles can be found to say this club is bigger, louder and i just showed 3.

Last edited:
Yes I read that and you're riding the wave and good for the pies, but you do realize these types of articles re most members, attendances etc can be said about other teams when on top. Here are two, part article and a screenshot on Richmond.

By ABC Sport

Mon 30 Jul 2018

Richmond fans were loud as ever during Saturday's clash with Collingwood.(AAP: Daniel Pockett)

As the great Richmond coach Tom Hafey liked to tell his players "there's nothing more tigerish than a tiger".

But if that is amusingly self-evident, there is now something even more tigerish than the tenacious Richmond team that is moving inexorably toward back-to-back premierships — the Tiger fans.

The MCG has heard many mighty roars: Dennis Lillee knocking over Viv Richards with the last ball before stumps, the Socceroos' first two goals against Iran in that inevitably ill-fated World Cup qualifier, and Betty Cuthbert breasting the tape at the 1956 Olympics are just some of the moments that rocked the old girl's foundations.

But the ear-splitting, guttural noise that rose from the crowd of 88,110 when the grinning Tiger Jack Higgins kicked his miraculous party trick of a goal against Collingwood on Saturday surely earned a place on the MCG's list of greatest audio hits.

To behold the Tiger Army at that moment was to believe the MCG crowd had become Richmond's 19th Player or a weapon for a very good team with a handful of bone fide stars on the verge of statistical greatness as the 22nd VFL/AFL team to defend the title.

But if there were a few suspiciously shiny new yellow and black scarves in the grandstands on Saturday, it is not merely the number of Tiger fans that is impressive but their intimidating ferocity.

Every Richmond attack was met with rapturous acclaim, every Collingwood free kick was disputed with outraged jeers and every final-quarter goal caused a major eruption as the tiring Pies were put to the sword.

The MCG is a supposedly neutral venue, particularly against co-tenant Collingwood which markets itself as "Australia's biggest football club".

But as the Tiger faithful belted out another thumping chorus of Tigerland — Yellow and Black! — with bloodthirsty venom, the territorial war had been won.

Measuring the advantage such raucous support provides is impossible and, for the Tigers, the comforts of home include more than just the most emotionally invested fans Melbourne have seen since The Beatles toured.

There has been much talk about the "noise of affirmation" at Perth and Adelaide where lopsided free kick counts are supposedly the result of umpires influenced by the vocal home crowd.

But despite the constant craving of the Tiger fans, the umpires had little impact on Saturday.

Rather, the Richmond crowd produced the "noise of confirmation"; a bloodcurdling postscript to the heroics of their players that seems to inspire them to even greater heights.

Playing with a smile, the heart-on-the-sleeve Riewoldt particularly seems almost as pleased by the eruption his goals cause as their influence on the result.

View attachment 1815765

Yes but unfortunately we can back it up. The Tigers can’t. You just can’t get the people through the gate and that it the greatest evidence of all

Season Home attendance
Collingwood the top 3 season crowd averages in history
6 of the top 8 in history

Season Away attendance
Collingwood the top 7 Crowds in histury
8 of the top 10

Overall season crowds
Collingwood the best 7 in history
Collingwood 9 of the top 10

Crowds over 1.2 million in a season
Collingwood 7 times

Crowds over 1.3 milluon
Collingwood 2 times

Richmond, Essendon or Carlton have never drawn over 1.2 million.

You’re not even in the conversation until you can regularly draw over 1.2 million. So go talk to the others about who is 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Yes I read that and you're riding the wave and good for the pies, but you do realize these types of articles re most members, attendances etc can be said about other teams when on top. Here are 3, part article and 2 screenshots on Richmond.

By ABC Sport

Mon 30 Jul 2018

View attachment 1815765

View attachment 1815777

The Mark Mercuri goal in the 3rd quarter of the 1993 preliminary final is the loudest roar I have ever heard. It was even distorted on tv.

Well done to the pies but it’s hardly an award is it.
You can’t claim anything unless every single club gets given the sane opportunity as the other.
If you keep gifting the same clubs the prime spots then of course their crowd numbers will inflate. It’s not rocket science.
You play Richmond v Geelong Anzac Day next year and guess what 90k will attend and guess what Collingwood and Essendon crowd numbers come down.
Hawks v Geelong get huge crowds when up and about.
Essendon crowds well down because they are struggling, Collingwoods drop also if they drop down the ladder.

Yes but unfortunately we can back it up. The Tigers can’t. You just can’t get the people through the gate and that it the greatest evidence of all

Season Home attendance
Collingwood the top 3 season crowd averages in history
6 of the top 8 in history

Season Away attendance
Collingwood the top 7 Crowds in histury
8 of the top 10

Overall season crowds
Collingwood the best 7 in history
Collingwood 9 of the top 10

Crowds over 1.2 million in a season
Collingwood 7 times

Crowds over 1.3 milluon
Collingwood 2 times

Richmond, Essendon or Carlton have never drawn over 1.2 million.

You’re not even in the conversation until you can regularly draw over 1.2 million. So go talk to the others about who is 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Can't get the people through the gate. We topped attendances 4 from past 8 years. 2nd in 2016 whilst bottom 6 and 3rd this year bottom 6. Well we were just shy of 1.2 mill (only Collingwood has topped attendances more). Just on our 1.94893 mill, we played Swan's 1st v 2nd at Marvel, our home game had it been played at the G our home ground then add on another 20-30K as we got 44K on a Thursday night. Was hoping to finish on 1.215 mill but not to be.

Make no mistake the fixture is compromised. You played blues and bombers twice, yes you would've still topped attendances but not the 1.384 we played them once each. In 2019 we were second, you played Bombers twice (85k), we played them once, reverve that fixture and we top attendances again.

On crowd averages, if you're hovering in and around the 8 of course you will get better crowds. We have had our bleak periods, from 1983 to 2012), 2 finals series in 30 years of course crowds will be average. There's only so much supporters can take, just ask blues and bombers fans who I can say have had bleak periods too maybe not as long but they have endured it. Pies have been the most consistent in contending 45 GF's so home and away crowd averages will be higher by that virtue.

Last edited:
Can't get the people through the gate. We topped attendances 4 from past 8 years. 2nd in 2016 whilst bottom 6 and 3rd this year bottom 6. Well we were just shy of 1.2 mill (only Collingwood has topped attendances more). Just on our 1.94893 mill, we played Swan's 1st v 2nd at Marvel, our home game had it been played at the G our home ground then add on another 20-30K as we got 44K on a Thursday night. Was hoping to finish on 1.215 mill but not to be.

Make no mistake the fixture is compromised. You played blues and bombers twice, yes you would've still topped attendances but not the 1.384 we played them once each. In 2019 we were second, you played Bombers twice (85k), we played them once, reverve that fixture and we top attendances again.

On crowd averages, if you're hovering in and around the 8 of course you will get better crowds. We have had our bleak periods, from 1983 to 2012), 2 finals series in 30 years of course crowds will be average. There's only so much supporters can take, just ask blues and bombers fans who I can say have had bleak periods too maybe not as long we they have endured it. Pies have been the most consistent in contending 45 GF's so home and away crowd averages will be higher by that virtue.

What were the home and away numbers in the VFL before the game went national. That will give you the true numbers. Everyone played each other twice.

The Mark Mercuri goal in the 3rd quarter of the 1993 preliminary final is the loudest roar I have ever heard. It was even distorted on tv.

That's the beauty of our ears, we all have our opinions on what we believe to be the loudest. Might need to check that one out.
Apart from rich v gws (2017 PF), which i would say is the loudest. I do recall the semi-final v Bombers in 1995 we were 5 goals down and in the second-half comeback, the G was rocking as the goals were piling on, so loud. We went ballistic, as we weren't expected to beat the bombers, they were the favourites.

Last edited:

By ABC Sport

Mon 30 Jul 2018

View attachment 1815765

View attachment 1815777
Haha so you need to bring up an article 5 years ago. Collingwood are the biggest club and always have been. Has Richmond ever drawn over 1.3 million let alone 1.2 million during your home and away season?

Has Richmond ever had 106,470 members?

Has Richmond ever drawn almost 98,000 v gws at the mcg?

I will tell you no they have not!!! But I can tell you the only club that has…….collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Vic it's the Bombers by whisker over the big 4.
Australia wide Collingwood by far and Carlton marginally over Essendon.

Collingwood is the biggest in Victoria than Essendon, Carlton and Richmond.

Collingwood are estimated to have 500,000 supporters in Victoria and another 375,000 followers interstate. Essendon are around 400,000

you think you had more than lions at the Gabba as you put up some baloney comments about Brian Taylor.
I was actually replying to one of your bozo Richmond mates who said that GWS have grown as a club so Richmond's 94k is more impressive than Collingwood's 97k. 🤣 Using the same logic, I pointed out that 36k for the Blues is better than 37k for the Tigers because the Blues had taken over the Gabba! I don't know if we had half or not, but I know we had a lot more than Richmond there! 🤣

"Have a look at the crowd here, there is definitely more navy blue here I reckon than the colours of the Brisbane Lions at the moment. It is staggering how many people are supporting the Blues here today, this would have never happened to Brisbane at the Gabba ever."

This is hilarious but then again you did say Swans only had 8K
You were actually the one who said the Swans had 25k against the Blues, just to let you know 25k is over half the Shane Warne Stand, where is all the red and white?

6VKfYdb.jpg

Say what? you would get 95k v gws, or Hawks 90K, don't hypothesize until you actually do it you're just assuming, making up numbers. It took Pies 3 attempts to get over 94K+.
The Saints got almost 70k for a final vs GWS, not even a prelim, and with two other games in Melbourne.

In the modern era, Rich v Geel QF 2017 has the highest attendance 95,028, and Rich V Carl EF 2013 has the highest attendance 94,690
Blues 96,412

Last 100 years pies, tigers, bombers and blues in that order for home game attendances. Your own supporters through the gates.
They aren't your own supporters through the gate. Playing at a stadium with a 90k+ capacity you are getting huge numbers of the opposition supporters there. At Princes Park or Windy Hill it's 90% for one team. For Essendon v Richmond at Windy HIll you are counting 25k for Essendon, then the return fixture at the MCG you are counting 60k for Richmond. That's over double the crowd you are counting for Richmond and saying look how big we are. 🤣

Here is a breakdown of total home and away crowds, remember Carlton were playing 9 homes a season at Princes Park until 2005. Richmond had that absolutely enormous stadium with almost unlimited capacity. If the Blues moved to the MCG 60 years ago I hate to think how far we would be ahead of Richmond.

Carlton 60.1m
Essendon 59.7m
Richmond 58m

Now you play your biggest games at the G, you left that part out. V Ess, Pies, Tigers, Cats, Dees and Hawks. You also played GC at the G.
You played 6 home games at Marvel. Carlton vs. St Kilda, vs. Brisbane Lions, vs. Western Bulldogs, vs. Port Adelaide. vs. West Coast Eagles and vs. GWS Giants
Yes I left it out because you play your biggest games at the G too, it's a moot point.

Yes 4/6 of our games at Marvel sold out, meaning people who wanted to go couldn't, no walk up or anything, would have been way more than 40-45k at the MCG that's the point - all those MCC members, and neutral AFL members love going to the G more as well, all those advantages Richmond get for every home game boosting their numbers.

Anyway I've had enough of talking about Fourthmond for now 🤣

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond.
All have managed to get over a million people through the gate in season 2023.
View attachment 1774189
No other club has ever managed to get a million people or more through the gate in a home away season.
It's why these clubs are the big 4.
Skewed because vfl teams play more games in Melbourne. Interstate teams only playing half in their home town

Mate what is this Google search business, you and Dave come on. I am a GOLD AFL member and a Platinum Richmond member. I don't google search. I either go straight to my club's website or FB or Insta via my phone apps or PC via my bookmarks.

If I had to type in my team, I would just type in Richmond. Do people type in FC after their team?

Google searches I know you're big on it mate as is Dave well he is more super coach but this doesn't have any bearing on people through the gates. Or buying memberships or following your team via socials.

Just on Super Coach, In my family (+ extended family) we have about 25 Richmond all members, from under 10, teens, early to mid 20's, early to mid 30's and 40's and 50's, not one of us is on Supertcoach, I wouldnt even know where to go and I am a deadset footy buff.

Anyways, guess each to their own, I'll let you guys continue on ;)
My honest view is Google searches are BS. Any successful team will get searches from any sports fan engaging with AFL. It’s a measure of success and this drives searches from any Tom, Dick and Harry!

But nothings perfect. Attendances are useless for comparisons of these clubs, you know that. Membership is highly influenced by Premierships and continued finals success. You know that too.

SuperCoach, my choice because it’s not influenced by on field success and it’s a survey of ‘engaged’ footy fans all around Australia. It’s a big national survey of engaged footy fans and not influenced by Premierships of capacity constraints (attendance). So it logically holds true this is a good guide, especially when over time it’s consistent in its report output.

But as I said, nothings perfect on this stuff.

What does it look like if the crowd is only counted for the home team? That would take out the Melbourne teams bias

What does it look like if the crowd is only counted for the home team? That would take out the Melbourne teams bias

Collingwood averaged 63,723 to home games which is insane.
The next best over 12,000 behind was Carlton who averaged 51,421 to home games

Collingwood averaged 63,723 to home games which is insane.
The next best over 12,000 behind was Carlton who averaged 51,421 to home games
Considering over half of Carlton's home games are at Docklands that's insane.

Haha so you need to bring up an article 5 years ago. Collingwood are the biggest club and always have been. Has Richmond ever drawn over 1.3 million let alone 1.2 million during your home and away season?

Has Richmond ever had 106,470 members?

I will tell you no they have not!!! But I can tell you the only club that has…….collingwood

What a weird reply. if you were able to dissect my post you would've read when on top articles can be found which i provided, you get that right.

Hahahahahaha now you talking about memberships when we had 100K+ for several years and pies didn't you didnt like it furthermore it took you 3 attempts to get 97K+ but when Richmond supporters stated tigers getting 94K+ to pies 72K and 77K v GWS and your mob never got over 90K, you mentioned some baloney excuses like it rained, or trains were down blah blah blah

The fixture has a lot to do with that, surely you know that. Playing other big 4 teams twice inflates overall attendances surely this you know. And playing at GHMBA stadium with lower capacity.

Last edited:
My honest view is Google searches are BS. Any successful team will get searches from any sports fan engaging with AFL. It’s a measure of success and this drives searches from any Tom, Dick and Harry!

But nothings perfect. Attendances are useless for comparisons of these clubs, you know that. Membership is highly influenced by Premierships and continued finals success. You know that too.

SuperCoach, my choice because it’s not influenced by on field success and it’s a survey of ‘engaged’ footy fans all around Australia. It’s a big national survey of engaged footy fans and not influenced by Premierships of capacity constraints (attendance). So it logically holds true this is a good guide, especially when over time it’s consistent in its report output.

But as I said, nothings perfect on this stuff.
Super coach hahaha ok 🤭

Want to try again there mate?

Richmond’s highest crowd vs GWS is 100,014

Might want to fact check before you go on your ill informed rants.

Yes I left it out because you play your biggest games at the G too, it's a moot point.

Yes 4/6 of our games at Marvel sold out, meaning people who wanted to go couldn't, no walk up or anything, would have been way more than 40-45k at the MCG that's the point - all those MCC members, and neutral AFL members love going to the G more as well, all those advantages Richmond get for every home game boosting their numbers.

Anyway I've had enough of talking about Fourthmond for now 🤣

What a load of crapola. We play the biggest games and most smallest games at the G because its OUR home ground. As it is pies, hawks and Dees this isnt some new discovery.

6 games and how much more would have you got 5-10K more on each?

You will always be the 4th behind rich, pies and bombers, deal with it :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back