Games & Recreation The BigFooty 2016 Death List

Remove this Banner Ad

For all of those who still hold on to this 27 club bullshit

image-20141119-7522-1std1f.jpg

I think it's more around the quality of musicians who died at 27 rather than musicians are more likely to die at 27.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that musicians start dropping dead at 27.

The 27 club thing is more focused on a number of musicians that left the planet prematurely. Most of it is based around the fact that they died in strange or tragic circumstances as a result of alcohol or drug abuse.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that musicians start dropping dead at 27.

The 27 club thing is more focused on a number of musicians that left the planet prematurely. Most of it is based around the fact that they died in strange or tragic circumstances as a result of alcohol or drug abuse.
I've had many conversations with people who do think 27 is some magic number like 87 in cricket.

I'm with you on this. Been romanticised to the nth degree. I don't doubt the quality of some in that list, especially Robert Johnson, Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin, but imagine Hendrix died at 26 instead. He'd be with the great Otis Redding and then people would probably talk about the 26 Club instead.

I'm with you on this. Been romanticised to the nth degree. I don't doubt the quality of some in that list, especially Robert Johnson, Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin, but imagine Hendrix died at 26 instead. He'd be with the great Otis Redding and then people would probably talk about the 26 Club instead.
It's crazy when you think that Otis Redding was born about four months before Muhammad Ali, yet died only about a couple of years after Ali rose to prominence.

to be joined a few years later by Gram Parsons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out, didn't realize Otis Redding died at 26. Downloaded Try a Little Tenderness by Redding last night after catching Gough's post.

i heard on the radio two people died today. one was a former australian cricketer, the other i literally almost drove off the road when hearing the name. but now forgot it.

Well that's helpful....

Actor Jon Polito, perhaps most famous as Da Fino, the Dude's "Brother Seamus" from The Big Lebowski, as well as other Coen Brothers films, has checked out aged 65.

I always remember him as Det. Steve Crosetti from Homicide : Life on The Streets and as Silvio in the Seinfeld ep The Reverse Peephole.

I cherished Jon Polito, definitely a personal fave, and often dreamed of a day when he would have his shining lead role moment in the sun. Probably my second worst cinematic loss this year following Kiarostami, although I'm struggling to keep up with the sheer deluge of departed 2016 influences.

He generally popped up in the best Coen films (and is probably most well known for his regular collaborations with them, even emblematic of that sort of thing). We also have our representative wake moment (if in different circumstances, but resonant given the occupation) in the unforgettable Crosetti ep (which ironically he doesn't really appear in) of my favourite television show, but he also appeared in a bounty of other great programs from Crime Story to Seinfeld, not to mention offering excellent character work in countless films and stage productions. Caesar would often say that Homicide never recovered following Crosetti's departure, and that helps to illustrate the often overlooked but adored contribution he often made.

RIP Crosetti

Remove this Banner Ad

Back