The Bigfooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So realistically, we should stop any talk of the *domestic treble/quintuple...
I'm confused. If the League is 1 domestic trophy, and the FA Cup is another, what's the 3rd that's still in play? The Community Shield and League Cup are already off the table for this season.

I'm confused. If the League is 1 domestic trophy, and the FA Cup is another, what's the 3rd that's still in play? The Community Shield and League Cup are already off the table for this season.

aah *...i dunno. I’m lacking sleep :p you know what I meant.the 3 people rate

FA Cup fifth-round draw

Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City
Reading/Cardiff v Sheffield United
Chelsea v Shrewsbury/Liverpool
West Brom v Newcastle/Oxford
Leicester v Coventry/Birmingham
Northampton/Derby v Man Utd
Southampton/Tottenham v Norwich
Portsmouth v Arsenal

I really am torn. Haven't been that bummed after a Liverpool game since the Camp Nou.

I get the point Klopp is making, I really do, but the players are getting a week holiday. Send the best XI off after Southampton, keep the rest until after the replay, THEN they can take their week off.

It doesn't really matter anyway because there's no way Klopp will take a midweek domestic cup tie seriously anyway, and that is what the 5th Round is (that and we drew Chelsea at Stamford Bridge).

Klopp has come to the conclusion that the domestic cups aren't worth his time. First two seasons he committed sufficient resources at the League Cup, and in 2017-18 at the FA Cup, but it's hard to think of a more disappointing performance than losing to soon-to-be-relegated WBA in that year's competition. He's just done - we're 16 points clear in the league and defending UCL champions.

There are definitely players who could use the run. Who else thinks Milner will just go up to Klopp and say "gaffer, sod the break, I need to play. Leave me at home so I can play"? Possible Shaqiri too, and we can now all see Lovren, Matip and Fabinho need the run.

Last point: the last two months should have ended the Gomez/Lovren/Matip debate for good. It's Gomez by the length of the Flemington straight.

I mean, you're right, but I had already factored in a rubbish performance when we went to Napoli in the UCL. The Villa EFL Cup game was already decided. The Community Shield game wasn't that important.

That Napoli defeat is kinda helped by the fact that we were ****ed over by the ref and VAR no matter how badly we played.

My view is I don't care who plays, but the Manager needs to be there. He probably wants a break, but hey, this is what you get the big bucks for.

Completely understand that viewpoint. I don't have a problem with Jurg's plans to be honest - If delegating duties for the lesser priority competitions helps JK avoid burnout and/or holds us in better stead down the track for Manager succession, then I reckon it's a good thing.

Hopefully we are getting closer to a tipping point that sees some reform here.

The League Cup is irredeemable without a major influx of prizemoney that makes it more attractive to lower league teams.

The replays in the FA Cup (especially as they are only for the first four rounds now) are an anachronism. They must be abolished.

My suggestion? Put all EPL teams in the First Round (94 EFL teams, 34 non-League teams). Start in November. No replays, 90 minutes plus extra time then penalties. Abolish League Cup.

My view is I don't care who plays, but the Manager needs to be there. He probably wants a break, but hey, this is what you get the big bucks for.

All the different football associations in England need to sort this s**t out. If there is a mid season break then honour it.

Serie A have 2 weeks off over Christmas.
Bundesliga has 3 weeks off.
La Liga has 2 weeks off
Ligue 1 has almost 3 weeks off.

Finally the PL create a mid season break and the FA say * you and schedule games right in the middle of it.

Increasingly the FA Cup is becoming less relevant and if they insist on pulling s**t like this they will become completely irrelevant.

Right now Klopp wants to win the Prem and then he wants to win the Champions League again. The FA Cup is just a giant pain in the arse standing in the way of those things.

And now Klopp knows Liverpool have Chelsea next which is something he will be even less interested in.

The whole thing reeks of arrogance by the FA and Klopp has called it out. Good on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FA Cup fifth-round draw

Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City
Reading/Cardiff v Sheffield United
Chelsea v Shrewsbury/Liverpool
West Brom v Newcastle/Oxford
Leicester v Coventry/Birmingham
Northampton/Derby v Man Utd
Southampton/Tottenham v Norwich
Portsmouth v Arsenal

Do Man City ever draw anyone that could remotely challenge them?

Last year they went Rotherham United/Burnley/Newport County/Swansea/Brighton/Watford

This year they have gone Port Vale/Fulham/Sheffield

No wonder they win it so easily

Do Man City ever draw anyone that could remotely challenge them?

Last year they went Rotherham United/Burnley/Newport County/Swansea/Brighton/Watford

This year they have gone Port Vale/Fulham/Sheffield

No wonder they win it so easily

While since Klopp took over we have gone:

2015-16 EFL Cup: Bournemouth (PL), Southampton (PL), Stoke (PL), Man City (PL)
2015-16 FA Cup: Exeter City, West Ham (PL)
2016-17 EFL Cup: Burton Albion, Derby County, Tottenham (PL), Leeds, Southampton (PL)
2016-17 FA Cup: Plymouth Argyle, Wolves

From here on it gets a little ridiculous, especially compared to Man City...

2017-18 EFL Cup: Leicester City (PL)
2017-18 FA Cup: Everton (PL), WBA (PL)
2018-19 EFL Cup: Chelsea (PL)
2018-19 FA Cup: Wolves (PL)
2019-20 EFL Cup: MK Dons, Arsenal (PL), Aston Villa (PL)
2019-20 FA Cup: Everton (PL), Shrewsbury, next round opponent Chelsea (PL)

That's not even mentioning UCL (last year we beat Bayern & Barcelona in the knockout stage and had PSG in the group stage).

On the question of the whole FA Cup brouhaha my thoughts are pretty similar to John Aldridge's.

We should be playing a similar team to the one we played the other night because some players need games, not a rest.

I'm curious to know why Klopp thinks Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Origi, Minamino, Shaqiri, Keita and Lallana need a week off.

Last point: the last two months should have ended the Gomez/Lovren/Matip debate for good. It's Gomez by the length of the Flemington straight.
Lovren is the clear 4th best. But a fit and firing Matip is a terrific CB, as seen in the early part of the season. He's only been back for 1 game.

For pretty much the whole of 2019 bar December Gomez was either injured or being an average backup RB and people were questioning if he'd get back to pre-injury form.

Lovren is the clear 4th best. But a fit and firing Matip is a terrific CB, as seen in the early part of the season. He's only been back for 1 game.

For pretty much the whole of 2019 bar December Gomez was either injured or being an average backup RB and people were questioning if he'd get back to pre-injury form.

He was being played out of position.

When someone else plays next to Van Dijk, we're pretty damn good.

When Gomez plays next to Van Dijk, we go two months without conceding.

If the world cup can be decided on extra time and penalties then so can the FA cup. Complete arrogance by the English FA to schedule replays in an already hectic fixture. For those who think that because you earn a fortune then playing up to 3 games a week for 8 months is ok then think again. We've just lost Mane for a stretch of games and all we need is one of Salah, Firmino or VVD (touch wood) to get injured and we are royally f *****. Contrary to popular opinion the EPL title has not been won and until we win it Klopp should manage the team around finally delivering that elusive PL title after a 30 year wait. Then we have CL which is and should be a higher priority than the ******* FA cup.

We copped flak for losing 5-0 to Aston Villa, the haters didn’t care that we played the academy team, all they saw was Villa 5 Liverpool 0 and they pounced on it. What do you think they will do if we lose to a lower division team? The internet will melt. I hope Klopp takes the Shrewsbury Town replay a lot more seriously than he has let on, if for anything, to shut the haters up. I don’t know for sure if it has happened before, pretty certain that it hasn’t, but I don’t want Liverpool to be the first eventual premier league champions to lose an FA Cup tie to a pub side in the same season it wins the league. If it happens, we will be reminded about it for years to come…think Gerrard slip memes (don't expect those to go away any time soon btw). When we as fans finally get to say Liverpool are Premier League champions, the haters will say but you wouldn’t be League 1 champions or some nonsense like that. We need to win the replay or we will lose some credibility irrespective of whether the criticism and the credibility loss are justified or not. You may or may not think I'm being a little overly dramatic, but I can see this happening from a mile away if Shrewsbury knock us out of the Cup, to go along with all the VAR and weak era stuff.

We copped flak for losing 5-0 to Aston Villa, the haters didn’t care that we played the academy team, all they saw was Villa 5 Liverpool 0 and they pounced on it. What do you think they will do if we lose to a lower division team? The internet will melt. I hope Klopp takes the Shrewsbury Town replay a lot more seriously than he has let on, if for anything, to shut the haters up. I don’t know for sure if it has happened before, pretty certain that it hasn’t, but I don’t want Liverpool to be the first eventual premier league champions to lose an FA Cup tie to a pub side in the same season it wins the league. If it happens, we will be reminded about it for years to come…think Gerrard slip memes (don't expect those to go away any time soon btw). When we as fans finally get to say Liverpool are Premier League champions, the haters will say but you wouldn’t be League 1 champions or some nonsense like that. We need to win the replay or we will lose some credibility irrespective of whether the criticism and the credibility loss are justified or not. You may or may not think I'm being a little overly dramatic, but I can see this happening from a mile away if Shrewsbury knock us out of the Cup, to go along with all the VAR and weak era stuff.

Win the league and I really couldn’t GAFF what any of the haters have to say. Those same clowns will still come up with something even if we beat Shrewsbury I’m sure.

I reckon the haters will go into meltdown if we do the PL and CL double

C'mon lads, the FA cup is just a banana skin waiting to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back