The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think that’s why Klopp went with the experienced side first leg. Kill the tie and be comfortable at home.

3 weeks off between league games actually helps the squad in the long run. Need TAA, Jones and hopefully Jota back. Really struggled with depth v Man City.
I hope we see Thiago one more time and I really want Bajcetic to play this season.

What is the chances of seeing Bajcetic this season?
It’s been reported that he’s pain free, but would be a long way off any sort of match fitness.

Maybe little 5-10 cameos at end of games we are winning comfortably, but couldn’t rely on any high-octane sustained effort.

FSG planning to buy another club and want Michael Edwards' input.
There a potential Championship club in financial strife that might be a good farm for our youngsters. Just across the park, big stadium and everything.

There a potential Championship club in financial strife that might be a good farm for our youngsters. Just across the park, big stadium and everything.
Well played
Clap Applause GIF

To quote the great Shankly

“In my time at Anfield, we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside – Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don't like the chatter about multi club ownership. More stuff that alienates me from this league/sport. Just pure capitalist hoovering. Sure enough tell me we'll be left behind but we've just started a game the other day against the best team in Europe with two defenders who were loaned out to League One clubs last season from our academy.

It stinks and Edwards is clearly pushing the idea.

Also generally hate the whole "get in!!" reaction to getting a ******* director in. Whatever. I follow football for the football people not the suits. Good appointment whatever. We've not signed Jude though chill out like.

Good that Arsenal won, keep them occupied.
Yeah I watched the highlights, not knowing the result, I went back and forth on lol'ing if Arsenal got dumped out by Porto but then I was like, wait, I want them to continue on for more games, more pressure, and more chances of them bottling.

So good result in the end.

Really don't like the chatter about multi club ownership. More stuff that alienates me from this league/sport. Just pure capitalist hoovering. Sure enough tell me we'll be left behind but we've just started a game the other day against the best team in Europe with two defenders who were loaned out to League One clubs last season from our academy.

It stinks and Edwards is clearly pushing the idea.

Also generally hate the whole "get in!!" reaction to getting a ******* director in. Whatever. I follow football for the football people not the suits. Good appointment whatever. We've not signed Jude though chill out like.

Multi-club ownership
Agreed but like it or lump it it doesn't look like FIFA/UEFA are going to outlaw it anytime soon. It provides a competitive advantage to those clubs that are linked via ownership structure through spreading/hiding of costs across those clubs. City do this well. We either piss and moan about this, or play the rules as they are to our advantage.

Edwards appointment
I think we've seen very clearly during FSG's reign that you need every aspect of the football club operating at an elite level and working to a clearly defined strategy to reach the top.

Who appoints the 'football people' in the first place? You want the best in the business when it comes to making those sorts of deals, and in my view over the past decade that has been Michael Edwards.

Look at our track record in the transfer market before and after he took on the role of Sporting Director from 2016 to 2022, and how extraordinarily consistent, cost effective and professional we were in our transfer dealings working within a much smaller budget than our rivals. I would argue we were second to none among elite clubs in world football during that period.

A coach's job is to get the absolute most out of the players he has, but this job is made infinitely easier if your Sporting Director is consistently handing you elite players to work with.

Last edited:
I think we've seen very clearly during FSG's reign that you need every aspect of the football club operating at an elite level and working to a clearly defined strategy to reach the top.

Who appoints the 'football people' in the first place? You want the best in the business when it comes to making those sorts of deals, and in my view over the past decade that has been Michael Edwards.

Look at our track record in the transfer market before and after he took on the role of Sporting Director from 2016 to 2022, and how extraordinarily consistent, cost effective and professional we were in our transfer dealings working within a much smaller budget than our rivals. I would argue we were second to none among elite clubs in world football during that period.

A coach's job is to get the absolute most out of the players he has, but this job is made infinitely easier if your Sporting Director is consistently handing you elite players to work with.
Yeah I get that I just wish I didn't have to know who a "Michael Edwards" is and celebrate his appointment like we'd just resecured the services of a 27 year old Luis Suarez

Multi-club ownership
Agreed but like it or lump it it doesn't look like FIFA/UEFA are going to outlaw it anytime soon. It provides a competitive advantage to those clubs that are linked via ownership structure through spreading/hiding of costs across those clubs. City do this well. We either piss and moan about this, or play the rules as they are to our advantage.
I can and will piss and moan about it. You like to think your club is above the blood sucking crap the other clubs do to get ahead. Totally poisonous siphoning of other independently minded and ambitious football clubs around the world that should exist in their own context and environment without outside interference. It's not enough that the biggest clubs in the world pull the ladder up on teams underneath them in every other which way beyond simply incorporating smaller clubs into the same corporate ownership structure.

Yes this is mine and some other supporters cross to bear and many may not feel the same way, but even with the great emotional elation football provides me it's hard to look past how utterly morally bankrupt it is and it will get harder to have a leg to stand on when we try to tout our achievements as superior to City etc when we copy their practices.

Yeah there has definitely been a shift to try and make sporting directors “cool”, and treat them like players and managers when they come in. Who gives a s**t.

Edwards was seen as a dud before Klopp and I think we’ve signed some pretty good players while he’s been away. Everything good is because of the manager, Edwards is the fortunate one that was there to ride his coattails just like Michael Zorc at Dortmund.

And the multi club thing stinks.

You get what I mean man. Try putting on a Michael Edwards best press release photos compilation on when you get home pissed at 1am or just chuck on those sweet sweet Luis goals on YouTube

I'll put on highlights of our record breaking performances in the league and 3x European Cup finals from 2018-22 instead :)

Sorry for hamming it up a bit ADL9798 obviously I agree it's a good appointment and he's been a great contributor to our success but yeah just the state of the sport really does my head in. Board room chat, spreadsheet pushers just do not interest me even if they are categorically important to a football club in 2024. The celebrity of it all is just a bit much - particularly coming in the wake of the Dan Ashworth saga.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back