The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah there has definitely been a shift to try and make sporting directors “cool”, and treat them like players and managers when they come in. Who gives a s**t.

Edwards was seen as a dud before Klopp and I think we’ve signed some pretty good players while he’s been away. Everything good is because of the manager, Edwards is the fortunate one that was there to ride his coattails just like Michael Zorc at Dortmund.

And the multi club thing stinks.
Yeah I'm sure Edwards is great but really the whole turn around of the club is down to one man.

Happy Come On GIF by Liverpool FC

Yeah I'm sure Edwards is great but really the whole turn around of the club is down to one man.

Happy Come On GIF by Liverpool FC

Before Klopp came in there were people saying a lot of his success is down to having a brilliant sporting director like Michael Zorc and that he won’t be able to deal with our rubbish transfer committee led by Michael Edwards. We all know what’s happened to both clubs since then.

If the club think Edwards is a good appointment to bring back then cool, I’m glad they’re being pro active, but to me it’s hardly something to celebrate or even be excited about. It’s nice to know the club aren’t sitting on their hands but that’s about it. The rest is wait and see.

Yeah there has definitely been a shift to try and make sporting directors “cool”, and treat them like players and managers when they come in. Who gives a s**t.

Edwards was seen as a dud before Klopp and I think we’ve signed some pretty good players while he’s been away. Everything good is because of the manager, Edwards is the fortunate one that was there to ride his coattails just like Michael Zorc at Dortmund.

And the multi club thing stinks.

Agree that Klopp has been central to our success, but this idea that he was unilaterally behind everything good that has happened at the club recently and everyone else was riding his coat tails is fantasy.
  1. No good large business has ever been run that way.
  2. If this were actually true then I can't see why FSG would have pursued Edwards as strongly as they have in the past few months, and made his recruitment the #1 priority.
By all reports Edwards did play a key role in negotiating which players came into/out of the club (giving Klopp some pretty important tools to help him go on and win everything).

There are a number of reports highlighting our industry leading use of data analytics to inform decision making (including transfer strategy) - heavily backed in by our owners. "Uncool" backroom staff like Ian Graham and Michael Edwards were driving this part of the club, not Klopp.

We know that sometimes he and Klopp didn't see eye to eye on this. For example, Klopp wanted Brandt over Salah and was overruled. It sounds as though Klopp's desire for greater control was a factor in Edwards leaving in the first place. Personally I think managers should always have input on transfer strategy to ensure this is aligned with their vision, but I don't think they should have 100% control of this.

Edwards was also in charge of negotiating our outgoings, extorting remarkable transfer fees for some of our fringe players in the process.

Last edited:
Im thrilled to have Edwards back, dont get me wrong. But if you can only have one at the club, Klopp or Edwards, then the answer is obvious.

Let's not forget since Edwards left the club our incomings have been Diaz, Konate, Nunez, Gakpo, Endo, Gravenberch, Szoboszlai and Mac Allister. So we have certainly gone alright since he left.

But perhaps that is the system he had instilled and had in place when he left that continued to work. We wont know as we are not on the inside.

The two things can be separate. It sucks that Jurgen is leaving. But its also great that Edwards is coming back.

Hopefully we can just continue to be flawless in the transfer market like we have largely been in Klopp's time at the club so that whoever comes in has the easiest job possible. They wont be Jurgen Klopp but at least we can hopefully have a really good and competitive squad to do as well as they can with.

Let's not forget since Edwards left the club our incomings have been Diaz, Konate, Nunez, Gakpo, Endo, Gravenberch, Szoboszlai and Mac Allister. So we have certainly gone alright since he left.

According to this graphic Diaz and Konate were Edwards signings.

431170536_790185573154211_3315970468873897214_n.jpg

Gravenberch returned to training but not sure if that means he'll play a game before the int break.

Danns still out with a concussion. Musialowski and Pinnington did not train, ineligible players Nallo and Nyoni did.

Possible we go with something like this?

Koumas-Gakpo-Gordon
Clark-McConnell-Szoboszlai
Kostas-Quansah-Gomez-Bradley
Kelleher

Subs: Adrian, VVD, Robbo, Endo, Macca, Elliott, Diaz, Salah, Nunez

Gravenberch returned to training but not sure if that means he'll play a game before the int break.

Danns still out with a concussion. Musialowski and Pinnington did not train, ineligible players Nallo and Nyoni did.

Koumas-Gakpo-Gordon
Kelleher

I think Grav is in the squad tomorrow but doesn't start before the international break.

Koumas-Gakpo-Gordon
Kelleher

Salah starts for sure. Needs minutes in his legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Nallo, Nyoni and Rhys Williams are all ineligible to play Europa.

I'd consider Carter Pinnington at CB. Musialowski can also play across the front 3 or as an attacking mid.
We need to calm down a bit. Of course we're in a very good position to move onto the QF's but rolling out guys who have never played for Liverpool into a Europa League QF is a bit much. Haha

I know we've done it with other kids this season, but I think we might be starting to push the envelope.

THE LIVERPOOL THOUGHT BANK

There was never a real competition between Klopp and Pep all these years.

If Guardiola spent 300 million and his signings failed - Pep would have to find new players for 300 million and sell the failed ones. He could repeat this until he succeeded.

If Klopp signed 300 million worth of players and they all failed - Klopp would have to find another job. Huge difference.

This summer, if Klopp had spent 250 million on Gvardiol, Doku, Nunes and Kovacic, he'd be fired. Guardiola will just sell all 4 and buy another 4 next year. There's no real comparison between two managers with such drastically different challenges. Klopp just made it look like a competition because he beat Pep on head-to-head record...despite having one hand tied behind his back relative to Pep. Klopp could have done Pep's job at City easily, but Pep would have no chance at Liverpool. Trent's comments last week rattled so many because he was absolutely spot on.

We need to calm down a bit. Of course we're in a very good position to move onto the QF's but rolling out guys who have never played for Liverpool into a Europa League QF is a bit much. Haha

I know we've done it with other kids this season, but I think we might be starting to push the envelope.

THE LIVERPOOL THOUGHT BANK

There was never a real competition between Klopp and Pep all these years.

If Guardiola spent 300 million and his signings failed - Pep would have to find new players for 300 million and sell the failed ones. He could repeat this until he succeeded.

If Klopp signed 300 million worth of players and they all failed - Klopp would have to find another job. Huge difference.

This summer, if Klopp had spent 250 million on Gvardiol, Doku, Nunes and Kovacic, he'd be fired. Guardiola will just sell all 4 and buy another 4 next year. There's no real comparison between two managers with such drastically different challenges. Klopp just made it look like a competition because he beat Pep on head-to-head record...despite having one hand tied behind his back relative to Pep. Klopp could have done Pep's job at City easily, but Pep would have no chance at Liverpool. Trent's comments last week rattled so many because he was absolutely spot on.
I've always said this. Klopp can do what Pep did at City but Pep couldnt do what Klopp did at Liverpool. I think Pep's exceptional but he's yet to be truly tested. Barcelona with the greatest Barcelona team they have ever had then Bayern in a one team league and then City, the richest club on Earth before Newcastle happened.

He's never truly tested himself. Yet you look at Klopp, he takes on BVB and topples Bayern then he takes on Liverpool, nearly 3 decades of failure and takes on City and takes us back to the top. Klopp is a genius and you can bet when he's had a rest he wont pop up as Real Madrid manager or Barcelona or PSG etc. He will be at a big club, but one that is in need of a project, a challenge. Like a Valencia or Roma or something... I dont know. But will always follow him and hope he succeeds wherever he goes. Legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back