The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I acknowledge that Klopp was a very good manager for us, I’m glad that it’s ending. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about things and realise that a high line isn’t the best option against the likes of the Real Madrid’s of this world.
Plus, I have other reasons that I don’t wish to divulge.
I’m with you - I think it is time for change.

Klopp has been amazing but he is so rigid. We complain that the strikers cannot finish but they are shooting through 10 blokes most of the time.

Everyone knows how to beat Liverpool - park a bus - pinch goals on the break with the space left behind the high line.

We have seen this happen time and time again. Everyone from Real Madrid in the CL final to relegation teams use the same method - obviously not all succeed.

It is just time.

On this season I have no idea what has happened the last month - it is such a meek ending to the Klopp era.

This season has been amazing though. Mac, Szo, Connor Bradley, all the other kids, a year into the strikers (Nunez will come good). No one really expected Liverpool to go as well as they did. Way too many injuries hurt them in the end but the team is in a good place.

They go again.

It needs to be said - if you survive on emotion for long enough, eventually you'll find yourself flat and lethargic. It's just human nature.

But everything is on the table now, and guys like Nunez should be playing accordingly. Slot will have his own identified players he would like to bring to the club. And he'll need money to get those players.

Goes without saying we need to get our new medical team sorted. Look at Arsenal - decimated by injuries last season and fell away badly. This season - hardly any injury issues in the second half of the season and now coming home like a steam train.
Also: put a body next to the keeper on corners. Hear that helps too.

As much as I love Klopp. I think he is stubborn tactically. We hardly change our formation come the opening whistle of every match day.

From what I have read about Slot, he has different formations at his disposal, and is happy to change it at any stage of the game. So our wide wings may be made redundant for more pure MIDS, and two strikers up front. But we will need to find brilliant finishers on the market if that is the case. Whilst he has a defence first mindset, his team has averaged more goals per game than our current squad.

I think our biggest problem has been lack of consistency with our attacking game. Even in years we won trophies. Our attackers largely went missing in most cup finals, and we don't score goals consistently vs all levels of teams like Arsenal and City do right now. I don't want heaps of smashing up small teams 5-0, and dour 1-0 wins all in between. Want to see us with more consistent production up front. And get rid of blokes who are lazy when it comes to defending. You can't just choose which game or moment you want to work hard or take time off for.

Mo looks shot right now. As great a servant he has been, and now in his 30s. We have already seen the best of him. Even Robbo looked off more often, than he looked good like his old self. Personally I'd target a new CB, LB, CDM, RW and Striker if we had the funds. Hopefully the Saudis still want to pay well for Mo.

I'd give Nunez one more season, and hope Slot can unlock his finishing. He seemed to do okay with that at his previous club. Suddenly struggles with us. Might be more suited as a left sided striker instead of the lone man up front.

Fans also need to get behind Slot and allow him a couple of seasons to get the team he needs/wants together.

As much as I love Klopp. I think he is stubborn tactically. We hardly change our formation come the opening whistle of every match day.

From what I have read about Slot, he has different formations at his disposal, and is happy to change it at any stage of the game. So our wide wings may be made redundant for more pure MIDS, and two strikers up front. But we will need to find brilliant finishers on the market if that is the case. Whilst he has a defence first mindset, his team has averaged more goals per game than our current squad.

I think our biggest problem has been lack of consistency with our attacking game. Even in years we won trophies. Our attackers largely went missing in most cup finals, and we don't score goals consistently vs all levels of teams like Arsenal and City do right now. I don't want heaps of smashing up small teams 5-0, and dour 1-0 wins all in between. Want to see us with more consistent production up front. And get rid of blokes who are lazy when it comes to defending. You can't just choose which game or moment you want to work hard or take time off for.

Mo looks shot right now. As great a servant he has been, and now in his 30s. We have already seen the best of him. Even Robbo looked off more often, than he looked good like his old self. Personally I'd target a new CB, LB, CDM, RW and Striker if we had the funds. Hopefully the Saudis still want to pay well for Mo.

I'd give Nunez one more season, and hope Slot can unlock his finishing. He seemed to do okay with that at his previous club. Suddenly struggles with us. Might be more suited as a left sided striker instead of the lone man up front.

Fans also need to get behind Slot and allow him a couple of seasons to get the team he needs/wants together.

I am probably in agreeance on Robbo with you too. He's a top class LB and has given us immense service over 8 years. I have heard we were looking at the likes of Ait-Nouri as his successor. If Robbo wants an opportunity outside of the PL and we can secure a top class LB replacement young & fresh I wouldn't be averse to selling him for good money too.

Mo is a forever legend of the club. Feel the time is right myself to cash in on him and reinvest in the next Mo Salah who will serve us until 2032.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should cash in. Realistically we're still behind the other two next season considering new manager and system and the fact city will probably throw another few hundred mill at upgrades and the fact our own owners won't want to spend a cent of their own money it gives us at least a chance to get some big upgrades where needed.

It needs to be said - if you survive on emotion for long enough, eventually you'll find yourself flat and lethargic. It's just human nature.

But everything is on the table now, and guys like Nunez should be playing accordingly. Slot will have his own identified players he would like to bring to the club. And he'll need money to get those players.
Well the concerning thing I'm reading is that Slot will come in as "head coach" not as manager and that he will have no say on incoming and outgoing players or on contracts.

And if that's true, this is going to go very badly.

You guys are crazy if you want Mo gone, he will be impossible to replace and even though his goals have dried up a little of late, he's still basically our best creative player, often putting things on a platter for other forwards to blow over the bar or hit directly at the keeper.

I think the injury and AFCON hurt his second half of the season, with a summer off I reckon he comes back and just plays like his old self again as he is Ronaldo like at looking after his body and I reckon he can be at the top of his game into his mid 30's just like Ronaldo was.

You guys are crazy if you want Mo gone, he will be impossible to replace and even though his goals have dried up a little of late, he's still basically our best creative player, often putting things on a platter for other forwards to blow over the bar or hit directly at the keeper.

I think the injury and AFCON hurt his second half of the season, with a summer off I reckon he comes back and just plays like his old self again as he is Ronaldo like at looking after his body and I reckon he can be at the top of his game into his mid 30's just like Ronaldo was.

Mo is fanatical about his fitness and training, he'll continue to play well for a couple more years.
I'm convinced he'll still be a star next season, and he's an absolute crucial part of another mini rebuild.

One more year then reassess. Easy to say "sell him", but we'll miss him terribly when he's gone.
Absolute bona fide club legend.

Well the concerning thing I'm reading is that Slot will come in as "head coach" not as manager and that he will have no say on incoming and outgoing players or on contracts.

And if that's true, this is going to go very badly.
I understand many Liverpool fans don't want the owners to have any say on what happens on the pitch. I don't think this is realistic, and many team sports around the world don't give total control to their coach.

Considering who Edwards has managed to get to Liverpool over his previous tenure, I am satisfied to wait and see what happens.

There will be a bit of a changing of the guard I feel which is necessary in a new era. Suspect Mo will be sold to the Saudis for around 80-100m. We obviously can't head into a new campaign with either Bajcetic or Endo as our starter at #6 if we are going to mount a serious challenge in the PL/CL. Szo & Mac are absolutely fine going forward as our 2 advanced mids. Szo's issues came from simply being overplayed too much and this was due to zero input from Thiago & Baj.

New deals for Trent & Virg are urgently needed. We need a new top class young CB that can play 60 games a season also.

At a minimum I see us selling Mo, Kelleher, Morton, Carvalho & Phillips which should net us around 130m.

That means a new CB, new #6, new backup keeper and a new forward to replace Mo. At least 200m + outgoing.
I can see Diaz leaving as well. Real Madrid might stump up £70m.

I am probably in agreeance on Robbo with you too. He's a top class LB and has given us immense service over 8 years. I have heard we were looking at the likes of Ait-Nouri as his successor. If Robbo wants an opportunity outside of the PL and we can secure a top class LB replacement young & fresh I wouldn't be averse to selling him for good money too.

Mo is a forever legend of the club. Feel the time is right myself to cash in on him and reinvest in the next Mo Salah who will serve us until 2032.
I can’t see us getting much for Robbo.

At that price he’s sold. There’s no way that FSG ignore £150m.
You weigh up the risk at his age with the chance that he might have another year or two in him. However, at the end of the day, you have to take the crazy money thrown at him.

Diaz should probably be kept on an upgraded contract if Mo is sold for future saleable value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back