Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Bruce Doull
2. Alex Jesaulenko
3. Stephen Kernahan
4. Stephen Silvagni
5. Wayne Johnston
6. Greg Williams
7. Chris Judd
8. Craig Bradley
9. Geoff Southby
10. Ken Hunter
11. Patrick Cripps
12. Anthony Koutoufides
13. David McKay
14. Peter Dean
15. Peter Bosustow
16. Brett Ratten

I have chosen 16 because I suspect that will give us enough players to begin the voting process with at least 16 matchups. This will give us 5 rounds including the final H2H battle. But we will see how things are going and we can always start with more than 16 matchups if enough players are named.

J - a couple of thoughts...

1) 16 players will lead to 8 x H2H matchups and 4 rounds, no? (not 16 x H2H and 5 rounds)

2) Is is worth seeding them (based off votes)? Then you could run H2H with 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc. Subsequent rounds are highest seeds vs lowest seeds. That way you won't get Doull vs Sticks in the first round, knocking out a potential winner due to a matchup quirk....

1. Diesel
2. Kouta
3. Dominator
4. SOS
5. Doull
6. Judd
7. Cripps
8. Fev
9. Hunter
10. Stix
11. M. Maclure
12. Bradley
13. Betts
14. Simmo
15. Buzza
16. Val Perovic

1) 16 players will lead to 8 x H2H matchups and 4 rounds, no? (not 16 x H2H and 5 rounds)

2) Is is worth seeding them (based off votes)? Then you could run H2H with 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc. Subsequent rounds are highest seeds vs lowest seeds. That way you won't get Doull vs Sticks in the first round, knocking out a potential winner due to a matchup quirk....
quit it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen anyone pick Quirk yet ;)

1: Jesaulenko
2: Doull
3: Nicholls
4: Johnston
5: Silvagni (Steve)
6: Bradley
7: Williams
8: Koutoufides
9: Judd
10: Crosswell
11: Walls
12: Jackson
13: Hunter
14: Southby
15: Kernahan
16: Cripps (with a bullet)

Apologies (in no particular order) to McKay, Jones, Crane, Keogh, Maclure, Ashman, Bosustow, Fitzpatrick, Dean, Madden, Ratten, Brown, Rhys-Jones and Betts.

Last edited:
Seen not one mention of our greatest CHF ever in Dennis Armfield, thread invalidated.
Des English fan un-picked the duffle only to sew back on down the track.....

Last edited:
I apologise to David Rhys-Jones.
Not because you deserved to be in my 16, but the fact you did not even cross my mind for consideration until I seen you listed in a few other people's 16.
you're welcome.....

This is such a difficult task.

When I look back I see so many players worthy of selection that I almost want to break them up into different groups because of the individual talents that each brought to the team. You have your rocks like Big Nick, Bruce Doull and SOS. You have your impact players like Wayne Johnston and Brent Crosswell. Then you can start on the players who were freaks like Jezza and Kouta. Next to last you have those who personified courage under adversity like Ken Hunter and Garry Crane. And finally I can’t forget those whose individual skills like Robbo’s dropkicking and Swan’s marking which just left me astounded.

So I admire those having a crack at this. I think a limit of 16 doesn’t cover it for me. A top 100 is closer to the number I’d like to see. As we’ve got plenty of time at the moment why not?

I'm not as old as some of the old farts on this board, but my top 10 would look something like this.

1. Brendan Fevola
2. Lawrence Angwin
3. Karl Norman
4. Eddie Betts
5. Nick Stevens
6. Justin Murphy
7. Mick Martyn
8. Josh Bootsma
9. Ryan Houlihan
10. Dyl Bucks

Back