The Crowd...vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of you that were at the 2007 elimination final you'd know that the atmosphere was electric, with a small crowd of 36,000.

Smaller finals crowds are often filled with the most passionate members & supporters, and it has an affect on the players.

what a buzz, ****n mental night at the footy.

i did notice there werent many kids there, thats the cost factor.
too expensive in SA, get real AFL, we all dont earn miners wages.

And it was a very late game. Maybe makes it harder for families with littlies

I am absolutely bushed this morning. Got home after 1 am after leaving for the ground at 6 pm. Add the emotion of the game and zombyism has set in for the day. The time slot is ridiculous as are the prices. Those are the reasons for the poor attendance. I guess the way we played against Sydney may also have had a bearing.
The crowd was great. One of the most vocal I've been a part of and the atmosphere in that last quarter was amazing.
Ben Rutten, Tex Walker, you stars.

Tonight's crowd would have been 90% due to finances, 10% bandwaggoning.

When we lost our first final, we basically made our supporters fork out for tickets twice in 7 days. Given most people get paid fortnightly, that's a fair whack on people's budget.

Throw the late start in and obviously the show which is a mandatory expense for plenty of people - particularly families - is it really that surprising?

A home final next week, even if we were coming off a loss, would have spread the financial burden much more for many people, and we would have broken 40k easily.

No one's fault, but just the way it played out.
Finally a sensible post.. I know of many people who are very passionate supporters who just couldn't afford to go and take families.. And then they'd want to go to the Prelim next week, Grand Final etc.. Then there's the Show..

I think some don't realise just how many families go to the game, not single people with more money to spend.. Not everyone can afford to go to 4 finals as unfortunate as it is so they have to make a decision somewhere, they'll sure love being able to go to the Prelim this week now though..

I went to the St Kilda Friday night game earlier this year and was ready to sleep by the time I got there. starting after 8 is ridiculous... particularly given it takes about an hour from the final siren to even be in the city. Add the time and distance with the money spent on last week's ticket and the cold weather which is only arctic at AAMI and I was quite content watching it at home (awful channel 7 camera angles aside).

I love the crows but my god the supporters who go to aami are so incredibly embarrassing.
Booing umpires.
Turning on players.
Leaving early.
I will only go to the footy in a corporate box.
Bring on adelaide oval.
I must be honest, I have never seen any of this happen at any of the other stadiums..

:rolleyes:

Crowd was great, very vocal. Numbers wise it sucked.I dont think the time slot has anything to do with it though. Some complained it was a late game, but for others who work an hour away from the ground the late start meant they could go

But there was one thing I absolutely hated... The boys and I were seated directly behind some old grannies who had their perms done for the game, and from the very first cheer we made as the countdown timer hit 0, till quarter time, they constantly looked over their shoulders at us in disgust and glared with beady eyes.It made us all uncomfortable and we werent enjoying the game there, so we moved and sat with a bunch of decent freo boys and had a few great discussions.

These oldies who want to hear crickets at the game need to seriously be bunched all together, and put into a couple of bays together where they can have waiters bring them tea, ear muffs and biscuits. That way the vocal supporters can all be together!

I love the crows but my god the supporters who go to aami are so incredibly embarrassing.
Booing umpires. - Happens at every game everywhere in more sports than just AFL
Turning on players. - People are entitled to their opinions which form whipping boys and favourite players
Leaving early. - People leave parties early if its boring, leave cinemas early if the movie is s**t, leave restaurants early if the food is bad. I dont like it either but it happens.
I will only go to the footy in a corporate box. - You do that then.
Bring on adelaide oval. - The exact same people who leave early, boo umpires and players will be at Adelaide oval....

:thumbsu:

Crowd was great, very vocal. Numbers wise it sucked.I dont think the time slot has anything to do with it though. Some complained it was a late game, but for others who work an hour away from the ground the late start meant they could go

But there was one thing I absolutely hated... The boys and I were seated directly behind some old grannies who had their perms done for the game, and from the very first cheer we made as the countdown timer hit 0, till quarter time, they constantly looked over their shoulders at us in disgust and glared with beady eyes.It made us all uncomfortable and we werent enjoying the game there, so we moved and sat with a bunch of decent freo boys and had a few great discussions.

These oldies who want to hear crickets at the game need to seriously be bunched all together, and put into a couple of bays together where they can have waiters bring them tea, ear muffs and biscuits. That way the vocal supporters can all be together!

reach under the perm and turn their hearing aids off and you will both be happy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booing umpires.
Turning on players.
Leaving early.
I will only go to the footy in a corporate box.
Bring on adelaide oval.

????:confused:

What's wrong with booing umpires? - much better than building up the frustrations inside you and then invading the ground and thumping them

Corporate boxes have a very sterile atmosphere

Adelaide Oval wont change things much - we'll have SACA members on top of SANFL members

lots of supporters at any ground/Club are embarrasing - just listen to radio talkback on sen or wherever .... its all part of football

The labour party is destroying this country and if you cant see that you are blind

Non-football related politics should be in other threads

Anyway, you chose some ironic words in your statement - "destroy" is Abbott's mantra :D - did you know that Dr No and the Daleks metamorphed into Tony Abbott :D

The labour party is destroying this country and if you cant see that you are blind

If people must talk politics on a footy site, then read political history and become politically literate. It is the Labor party in Australia and the Labour party in England. If you want to know why, then do as suggested above.

I keep reading these posts about people being offended by the non-participation of older people. In all my years at AMMI I have not seen this. The only people that have ever glared at me for being too loud--I'm old but loud--are Port Adelaide supporters--especially when losing. :)

I keep reading these posts about people being offended by the non-participation of older people. In all my years at AMMI I have not seen this. The only people that have ever glared at me for being too loud--I'm old but loud--are Port Adelaide supporters--especially when losing. :)
We've been on the receiving end of those glares a lot.. And many people I know have been..
A group of older ladies started sitting in front of us a couple of years ago, they glare at everyone around for making noise.. They even put their fingers in their ears when people scream and the Adelaide chant goes up :oops:

We've been on the receiving end of those glares a lot.. And many people I know have been..
A group of older ladies started sitting in front of us a couple of years ago, they glare at everyone around for making noise.. They even put their fingers in their ears when people scream and the Adelaide chant goes up :oops:

Fair enough. I know it must happen as it's been reported often enough. Just that it hasn't happened to me--apart from at Showdowns. Why go to footy if you don't like noise and excitement?

7 solid years of failure is what produced that crowd. Sydney result broke the camel's back.

Don't think so, that would have eliminated 1000 to 1500 people. Most people keep the belief and will continue to show that emotional support the club and players need. It's thew fiscal support that people are losing site of. The fact that ticket prices were everywhere between $55 and $80 were the influencing factor. The question that has to be asked was, what part of the membership demographic is broken up into singles (individually buying a ticket) compared to families who have to buy 2 or 3 tickets as you go with your wife/husband/partner and then add children.

$150 for week one and then add that again for week 2 will stretch quite a number of families.

I know if I didn't have a work function on, we would not have been able to go anyway. The price of buying an extra set of tickets would have stretched our budget this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back