The First Record You Ever Bought

Remove this Banner Ad

First CD I bought was Mellon Collie and The Infinite Happiness, by The Smashing Pumpkins.

I got Siamese Dreams and Adore by TSP at the same time.

I love TSP! Greatest Band of the 1990's IMO.

Best band in the 90s is a massive call. I was a Pumpkins fan but lost a bit of interest at Mellon Collie - not really sure why but I always thought it was a bit of a pompous record. Others loved it though, so I can't knock it too much. Siamese Dream, on the other hand, is one of the great records from the 90s, IMO.

Greatest band in the 90s for me comes down to a choice of 2 - REM and Radiohead. I reckon they reached their peak during the 90s and for me REM's "Out of Time" and "Automatic for the People" and Radiohead's "The Bends" and "OK Computer" are as perfect a period of music that a band could produce. I've probably been into other records and bands more at certain times but those two bands and 4 records stand the test of time.

The 90s were great but geez the decade produced some crap as well. The first UK number 1 single of the 90s was New Kids on the Block and the last was Westlife. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Number_1_singles_from_the_1990s_%28UK%29#1999

Wow - what a bump.

First record - and still my favourite professionally and personally is RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik from 1991 (cassette).

The playing on that record inspired me to want to get better and while he can't sing Kiedis can write pretty creative lyrics. I use it to l test to new equipment as it's a bit of a benchmark in my brain sound-wise.

The first record that was bought for me was a Sesame Street (vinyl) and it was laced with incredibly cool soul and funk and no doubt explains why all of my idols are black.

Last edited:
Wow - what a bump.
First record - and still my favourite professionally and personally is RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik from 1991 (cassette).
The playing on that record inspired me to want to get better and while he can't sing Kiedis can write pretty creative lyrics. I use it to l test to new equipment as it's a bit of a benchmark in my brain sound-wise.
The first record that was bought for me was a Sesame Street (vinyl) and it was laced with incredibly cool soul and funk and non doubt explains why all of my idols are black.
Or blue, or yellow, or...
gbb.jpg

I think the first vinyl I bought with my own $$$ was Bachelors From Prague's 'Birth Of The Fool'.
Prior to that would have been cassette of AC-DC 'Who Made Who' in '86.

Mine was the same as Luthers.
Still got it too, and still listen to it on the odd occasion, though a digital version, the old LP would be pretty un-listenable now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kindred by Burial. It was only a few years ago.

Rolled Gold by the Rolling Stones for me, although I did have a history of buying singles for my Mum's birthday after coyly asking her if she liked x song.

That is how she ended up the The Fool's parody of Talking Head's "Psychokiller", "Psychochicken".

I cant rightly remeber what the CD i ever bought with my own money was, but since i bought a Record Player only 2 years ago the first Vinyl I paid for was Jack White "Lazareto" followed by Pearl Jam "Vitalogy" 1 week later.

Im not unhappy with that, but if i had my time again i think you know which album i would of taken first.

i loved the compilation records of the 70s eg. the ripper series with the arse cheek on the cover.
Have the original vinyl copy in the shed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back