Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess some people never learn.
He was signed to play in the WAFL this season.
Who knows what the future holds for him.
There is a lot of systemic violence in aboriginal communities. This is a major problem that needs to be addressed. Kids growing up in these communities project these problems and are not immune to them affecting them long term in their lives.
Easy to lay blame on one thing.
Much harder to investigate and look to causes and implement long term fixes involving the communities in those fixes.
Its a hard one.

There is a lot of systemic violence in aboriginal communities. This is a major problem that needs to be addressed. Kids growing up in these communities project these problems and are not immune to them affecting them long term in their lives.
Easy to lay blame on one thing.
Much harder to investigate and look to causes and implement long term fixes involving the communities in those fixes.
Its a hard one.
This bloke isn’t living in some remote aboriginal community. He’s living in metro Perth, has all sorts of support mechanisms & isn’t disadvantaged in any way.

Whilst I agree there’s broader problems in certain communities, Taylor’s actions are inexcusable.

This bloke isn’t living in some remote aboriginal community. He’s living in metro Perth, has all sorts of support mechanisms & isn’t disadvantaged in any way.

Whilst I agree there’s broader problems in certain communities, Taylor’s actions are inexcusable.
Easy to say where he is living. Harder to say influences in his upbringing. You may be right. And you may be wrong as to where he grew up.

Easy to say where he is living. Harder to say influences in his upbringing. You may be right. And you may be wrong as to where he grew up.
He was born in Perth, attended Linwood High (a pretty good metro high school), played WAFL for Perth & although there might be factors in the upbringing I’m unaware of, I can’t see anyone to blame other than E.Taylor himself.

He was born in Perth, attended Linwood High (a pretty good metro high school), played WAFL for Perth & although there might be factors in the upbringing I’m unaware of, I can’t see anyone to blame other than E.Taylor himself.
I could argue with you all night but I won't. I'm not excusing his behaviour one bit. What I will say is it is easy to judge from afar. Not so easy when you know of systemic issues in vulnerable communities that persist and create ongoing problems. These can be in urban or remote communities as families have reach beyond geography.

It can be problematic to treat the inexcusable as irredeemable.

Also problematic is confusing a "reason" with an "excuse."

That leads to focusing too much on the issue in isolation and punishing it, rather than understanding the source of the issue and preventing re-occurrence.

I could argue with you all night but I won't. I'm not excusing his behaviour one bit. What I will say is it is easy to judge from afar. Not so easy when you know of systemic issues in vulnerable communities that persist and create ongoing problems. These can be in urban or remote communities as families have reach beyond geography.
Yeah, it’s an argument that can’t be resolved - there’s no absolutes.

I’m just glad that the Swans took decisive action. I’d find it VERY difficult to cheer him in a game.

Article about Dan Hanneberry;

Goes into detail about the efforts he has made to get his body right.

And I must admit sometimes I do forget just how good he was;
Four years of persistent injuries can make you forget how good Hannebery was at Sydney. He played a key role in Sydney's 2012 premiership, earned three All-Australian blazers in the Harbour City, polled at least 20 votes in the Brownlow Medal on the three separate occasions – 107 in total – and won the 2015 AFL Coaches Association Champion Player of the Year Award, ahead of that year's Brownlow Medal winner Nat Fyfe.

Hope the poor bugger gets a decent run this year. 🤞

Article about Dan Hanneberry;

Goes into detail about the efforts he has made to get his body right.

And I must admit sometimes I do forget just how good he was;

Hope the poor bugger gets a decent run this year. 🤞

No chance I'd forget how good he was. When I think back on the successful era from 2012-2016, the first two players that come to mind are JPK & Hanners. Both as individuals and as a pair. As a huge fan of midfield duos, they were bloody awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish.

He was a victim of the "brave" Easton Wood.

I'd love to see Hanners return to the club in a non-playing capacity when his on-field career is over. He gave everything for the Swans.
Not just Wood.

A favourite of pretty much all Bloods fans

Another victim imo of our alleged former fitness staff.

I gotta say I agree on this one. I remember thinking throughout 2017, there is no way he is fit, even one week off here and there would do him good. But the general consensus seemed to be that because he was a champion and a hard nut that he'd be able to play with niggles. Well a year on and it's safe to say his body was rooted. So it really is worth asking if we went about it the right way. 38 matches in two years while unfit, and then 15 games in the three years after probably suggests we didn't.

I gotta say I agree on this one. I remember thinking throughout 2017, there is no way he is fit, even one week off here and there would do him good. But the general consensus seemed to be that because he was a champion and a hard nut that he'd be able to play with niggles. Well a year on and it's safe to say his body was rooted. So it really is worth asking if we went about it the right way. 38 matches in two years while unfit, and then 15 games in the three years after probably suggests we didn't.
I still prefer to blame Easton Wood.

Its cathartic.

Jed Lamb another club , he's must be a s bloke , off to Warragul and Jack Maibum has also signed there , but still at Coburg

Jed Lamb another club , he's must be a s bloke , off to Warragul and Jack Maibum has also signed there , but still at Coburg
VFL players have to also have a 'home' club to play at if they are not selected. My own club had 5 VFL players on our list last year but we only saw four of them playing intermittently during the season. Maibaum may have registered at Warragul but may never play a game there.

VFL players have to also have a 'home' club to play at if they are not selected. My own club had 5 VFL players on our list last year but we only saw four of them playing intermittently during the season. Maibaum may have registered at Warragul but may never play a game there.
I said he's still at Coburg and he was CHB in the TOTY. It was more Lamb and i commented that Jack had signed there . In my opinion we should have rookied him

Outlines primarily the physical battles Alex Johnson went through.
If anything I'd imagine the constant setbacks would have made the mental struggles an even bigger issue.

Unbelievably hard luck story, but also one of determination and fortitude and at least, hopefully it gives him some pride and happiness he'll always be a Swans premiership player.

He's currently the owner of Infinite Cycle, an indoor Cycling Studio in Melbourne.

This is the podcast on which the article is based;

Last edited:

Outlines primarily the physical battles Alex Johnson went through.
If anything I'd imagine the constant setbacks would have made the mental struggles an even bigger issue.

Unbelievably hard luck story, but also one of determination and fortitude and at least, hopefully it gives him some pride and happiness he'll always be a Swans premiership player.

He's currently the owner of Infinite Cycle, an indoor Cycling Studio in Melbourne.

This is the podcast on which the article is based;

One of the great blokes and would have been a co captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back