Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Onya Jose.
He single handedly got the Blues over the line.:rolleyes:
Players like Membrey, Nankervis, Newman etc that are thriving at their new clubs shouldn't be looked on as a fail by us but more that we have a great development system in place. Their development has happened under our coaching & that has had them ready to play senior footy at their new clubs.

We can't keep them all.

You’re response was different when Rohan was slotting them earlier in the year!

Really? I have made no bones about my support for the decision to trade Rohan.

I always liked Newman and thought it might bite us. Just always seemed a good team man and had a fair skill set. No surprise he is prospering as a good ordinary footballer elsewhere. He'd probably be on half the coin of Rohan.

Really? I have made no bones about my support for the decision to trade Rohan.

I always liked Newman and thought it might bite us. Just always seemed a good team man and had a fair skill set. No surprise he is prospering as a good ordinary footballer elsewhere. He'd probably be on half the coin of Rohan.

In total contradiction though. One was in form at the start of the season, one at the end. You tell me what’s different other than Newman WON’T be playing finals (with a team very short on talent) and Rohan WILL (with a talented team).

Make no mistake, Newman only sticks out because he’s one of their best players...he was not one ours!

In total contradiction though. One was in form at the start of the season, one at the end. You tell me what’s different other than Newman WON’T be playing finals (with a team very short on talent) and Rohan WILL (with a talented team).

Make no mistake, Newman only sticks out because he’s one of their best players...he was not one ours!
I loved Nick Newman, one of my favourites, but last year he had become a very ordinary footballer who stuffed up far more than he got right and everybody on here saw it. That he's doing well at Carlton is terrific but for anyone on this site to say it was a mistake to let him go is (as usual for here) talking with the value of hindsight and forgetting the actual circumstance.
I have a couple of friends who are Carlton fans and they have had a few instances this year to be tearing their hair out at Newman's kicking and decision making.

Thought Newman had the potential to be best 22 with us. He ended up a marginal call. He struck me as a 'best clubman' type. For whatever reason it did not work out with us. There were rumours about his relationship with Longmire. Who knows they were just rumours.

What I observed was his form deteriorated and he was playing without confidence at the end. This year he has been a solid player in a very poor team. it was no surprise to me. Of the three blokes we traded I thought he would prove the best deal for the recipient Club and so it has been so so far.

Last year I was pleased when Rohan was dropped a couple of times as it signalled Horse et al were more willing to select teams on form. I was delighted when he was traded because I did not consider he was worth the cash, a place in our team or on the list.

Personality wise Rohan is diametrically opposed to David Warner. Rohan always seems the classical good bloke, Warner seems not so. Yet in cricket parlance both share the characteristic of being flat track bullies. Just as Warner is a perennial Test Match failure overseas on wickets not to his liking, Rohan would just disappear in big games or when the pressure was on. Both have incredible talent. But neither can deliver the mail unless it is sunny, the wind is blowing in the right direction etc.

Sure Rohan has kicked a few goals when the Cats were up and about. Big deal. It is when his mob are struggling that he will disappear. Lovely fellow and all that and I will be happy if the Cats win the GF this year, but I would be stunned if he plays a significant role in that win.

I loved Nick Newman, one of my favourites, but last year he had become a very ordinary footballer who stuffed up far more than he got right and everybody on here saw it. That he's doing well at Carlton is terrific but for anyone on this site to say it was a mistake to let him go is (as usual for here) talking with the value of hindsight and forgetting the actual circumstance.
I have a couple of friends who are Carlton fans and they have had a few instances this year to be tearing their hair out at Newman's kicking and decision making.

You’re so correct it’s not funny Jewels! I had inside info last year re Newman and the drop off in form and skill was remarkable...unfortunately, so was his attitude (not sure what it was towards and I doubt it was the playing group, just got told attitude). It was the culmination of the two that led to his trade (he was actually going to be delisted). It’s quite unbelievable how far he fell because he had massive wraps on him the year before, the club thought he was a real player!

Thought Newman had the potential to be best 22 with us. He ended up a marginal call. He struck me as a 'best clubman' type. For whatever reason it did not work out with us. There were rumours about his relationship with Longmire. Who knows they were just rumours.

What I observed was his form deteriorated and he was playing without confidence at the end. This year he has been a solid player in a very poor team. it was no surprise to me. Of the three blokes we traded I thought he would prove the best deal for the recipient Club and so it has been so so far.

Last year I was pleased when Rohan was dropped a couple of times as it signalled Horse et al were more willing to select teams on form. I was delighted when he was traded because I did not consider he was worth the cash, a place in our team or on the list.

Personality wise Rohan is diametrically opposed to David Warner. Rohan always seems the classical good bloke, Warner seems not so. Yet in cricket parlance both share the characteristic of being flat track bullies. Just as Warner is a perennial Test Match failure overseas on wickets not to his liking, Rohan would just disappear in big games or when the pressure was on. Both have incredible talent. But neither can deliver the mail unless it is sunny, the wind is blowing in the right direction etc.

Sure Rohan has kicked a few goals when the Cats were up and about. Big deal. It is when his mob are struggling that he will disappear. Lovely fellow and all that and I will be happy if the Cats win the GF this year, but I would be stunned if he plays a significant role in that win.

You just summed up Newman. Good luck to him, good luck to Rohan but you can’t boo hoo one and chastise the other when tracking the same plane!

You’re so correct it’s not funny Jewels! I had inside info last year re Newman and the drop off in form and skill was remarkable...unfortunately, so was his attitude (not sure what it was towards and I doubt it was the playing group, just got told attitude). It was the culmination of the two that led to his trade (he was actually going to be delisted). It’s quite unbelievable how far he fell because he had massive wraps on him the year before, the club thought he was a real player!

yep. Agree about the drop off. He just seemed lost and lacking the surety to deliver the ball as well as he had previously. Confidence/fall out with others, who knows?

yep. Agree about the drop off. He just seemed lost and lacking the surety to deliver the ball as well as he had previously. Confidence/fall out with others, who knows?
You may be correct re Longmire, that’s one thing I don’t know in the situation but he certainly appears to have good relationships with those he played with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just summed up Newman. Good luck to him, good luck to Rohan but you can’t boo hoo one and chastise the other when tracking the same plane!

On natural talent Rohan had it all over Newman. One was given every opportunity and the other had to fight via Frankston to get on a list. I am guessing but I would expect one was on a fair salary and the other considerably less so.

I am not chastising or boo hooing one or the other but simply saying I think Carlton got the value trade. This is as I thought it would be.

He didn't get along with Horse and is very good friends with AJ. 16 possies for AJ yesterday

You may be correct re Longmire, that’s one thing I don’t know in the situation but he certainly appears to have good relationships with those he played with.

Yep. I dunno either about Longmire. They were just rumours and not peddled by me. As long ago as last May there were rumours about a GoCo trade.

And Yes he did seem to have good relationships with other players - a classic sort of Clubman devastated by losses and thrilled by wins and always ready to celebrate the efforts of others.

No doubt Rohan too was a popular Clubman.

He single handedly got the Blues over the line.:rolleyes:
Players like Membrey, Nankervis, Newman etc that are thriving at their new clubs shouldn't be looked on as a fail by us but more that we have a great development system in place. Their development has happened under our coaching & that has had them ready to play senior footy at their new clubs.

We can't keep them all.

Membrey is the only one I am mad we let go. Jesse White, Gary Rohan and Tom Derickx were getting games ahead of him.

Always showed talent.

Completely mishandled by Longmire last year and lost confidence, was clearly on the outer

Would comfortably be best 22 off a half back flank at 18 clubs

This is not hindsight Jewels, suggest you go back to threads last year bemoaning his treatment

Completely mishandled by Longmire last year and lost confidence, was clearly on the outer

This is not hindsight Jewels, suggest you go back to threads last year bemoaning his treatment
Can't say as I agree with you there Caj but you very well may be right. I don't remember him being treated any different to most, just remember his footy going off something terrible, pretty much like Melican this year but without the injury excuse.

Certainly don't think he'd be best 22 at every other club though, 6 or so maybe but not all.

Membrey is the only one I am mad we let go. Jesse White, Gary Rohan and Tom Derickx were getting games ahead of him.

Always showed talent.
Problem is, once another team from home romances them a few years before, they fall more in love with the greener grass on the other side so we may actually want to keep them but have no chance. That’s my thoughts on Membrey & Nank.

Problem is, once another team from home romances them a few years before, they fall more in love with the greener grass on the other side so we may actually want to keep them but have no chance. That’s my thoughts on Membrey & Nank.
Nank’s grass is in Tassie.

If you go through the Carlton threads this year you will notice he has the criticism this year as last year in that his turnovers and poor disposal efficiency at times are costly.

Last week he had 19 possessions and was quiet. This week he kicked 4 goals but his opponent that he was matched up on kicked 2 and had 7 score involvements. Defensively he was poor but he kicked a few goals to make up for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back