Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

In all the years as a junior member going to clinics and family days and now as an uncle taking his nieces and nephews, there has only been one player I have come across that didn't give the light of day to the kids and that was Dunkley. Came across as an A grade flog. Know of colleagues that know the family and when the recruiting saga first occurred the words mummy's boy were used and it was indicated he didn't want to be too far from the family.

So he wasn't happy for the swans in 2005?Dunkley has s**t bloke written all over him. I used to like him alot as a player, but he can get stuffed now. Couldn't kick for s**t anyway and should have touched that ball on the goal line in 96 granny.

Ed "White Goodes" Barlow made his debut for NT Thunder on the weekend

Rd192019_NEAFL_MR_770.jpg

Well done Tony Armstrong, hope he does well in his new chosen profession.

But a horrible fact that it’s taken until now.

Have a listen to ROK

Probably because they are draftees and shouldn't need to make an immediate impact.

Same goes for every sport, the media hypes up draft picks as the answer to any teams problems when it can take years for that player to have an impact. Then they get called a bust or a disappointment when it was unrealistic expectations that started it.

Wasn't Paul Roos one of the strongest proponents of the view that draftees should be given time for their bodies to develop before making their senior debut?

There is some merit in that view IMO, though it depends on the player of course. Some very high draft picks can be ready to go from Day 1 if they have the talent, for example.

Probably because they are draftees and shouldn't need to make an immediate impact.

Same goes for every sport, the media hypes up draft picks as the answer to any teams problems when it can take years for that player to have an impact. Then they get called a bust or a disappointment when it was unrealistic expectations that started it.
Unfortunately this Board can be no better sometimes. We’ve had new recruits labelled as ‘spuds’ after literally playing only half a pre-season JLT game and on one occasion that sticks in my mind, a call for Florent to be traded out because he wasn’t consistent enough - after playing less than 50 games!

Wasn't Paul Roos one of the strongest proponents of the view that draftees should be given time for their bodies to develop before making their senior debut?

There is some merit in that view IMO, though it depends on the player of course. Some very high draft picks can be ready to go from Day 1 if they have the talent, for example.

Would of been hard for some of the draftees during the Paul Roos era to develop in the AFL Canberra comp they were playing in back in those days.

Unfortunately this Board can be no better sometimes. We’ve had new recruits labelled as ‘spuds’ after literally playing only half a pre-season JLT game and on one occasion that sticks in my mind, a call for Florent to be traded out because he wasn’t consistent enough - after playing less than 50 games!
This is a past players thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snooping around the Williamstown site sizing up a possible Swans recruit and spotted this. Interesting insight into Max Papley the coach. Terrible trainer according to one of the other stories on there. It is from last year so might be old news, but I hadn't seen it.
Great get!

Fantastic coach I played under him for 3 years , he was so ahead of his time as a coach. Sensational player who could have won a brownlow if he stayed.
Interesting what he said about team rules and plans, not having played under them before. I was at my son's athletics carnival a few weeks ago and there was a grandfather up from Melbourne. He was wearing a Swans hat so we got talking. He played briefly at the Swans in the mid 1960s. He'd come from another club and said he couldn't believe it when everyone went for beers after training.

In all the years as a junior member going to clinics and family days and now as an uncle taking his nieces and nephews, there has only been one player I have come across that didn't give the light of day to the kids and that was Dunkley. Came across as an A grade flog.
FWIW I can distinctly remember a family day held at Port Melbourne when I was young and leaving that thinking Dunkley had been the most friendly player by an absolute mile. The only Swans player I can really recall meeting and getting the impression of A-Grade flog is David Spriggs.

Also, I was seated next to Adam Goodes at a lunch recently and he told me former Swan Stefan Carey is some sort of 'professional punter' now, I assume a product of our elite gambling culture from the 90s

FWIW I can distinctly remember a family day held at Port Melbourne when I was young and leaving that thinking Dunkley had been the most friendly player by an absolute mile. The only Swans player I can really recall meeting and getting the impression of A-Grade flog is David Spriggs.

Also, I was seated next to Adam Goodes at a lunch recently and he told me former Swan Stefan Carey is some sort of 'professional punter' now, I assume a product of our elite gambling culture from the 90s
I think Stefan Carey owes us a few good tips then for some of the lackluster performances he subjected us too in his brief career.

Jesse White is going to finally play in a Grand Final. He lines up in the Ruck for Glenelg in the SANFL when they take on Port Adelaide in the GF on Sunday. He played a wonderful game in the Prelim. I hope he has a real day out in the GF.

GO TIGERS MAUL THOSE MAGGIES

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can we watch it anywhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back