The Game In Crisis Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...0181002-p5077p.html?__twitter_impression=true

It could bring an end to the governance war that has raged behind closed doors for more than two years - and could also mean the end of Steven Lowy's tenure, and the Lowy family's 15-year reign at the FFA.
FIFA secretary general Fatma Samoura delivered a letter to Lowy overnight, which states FIFA "clearly anticipates that the proposed changes to the FFA constitutions will be adopted at tomorrow's EGM".
The message from Zurich would appear to leave Lowy isolated and now lacking any support for his bid to stymie the revamped proposals to broaden the FFA congress, the policy-making body of the Australian game.
The letter noted ''with great satisfaction" the agreement reached between the squabbling factions to end soccer's long running goverance civil war.

The changes are essentially to grow the number of seats at the top table of FFA, to allow more voices and decision-makers.
They've been the result of months of talks and an independently-brokered working group.
A-League clubs, responsible for more than half the game's revenue, want more say in how the game is run, and the ability to run an independent league.
Players - as represented by Professional Footballers Australia - also want more involvement.
The meetings, which will take place at FFA headquarters, will hinge on four "minnow federations" of ACT, NT, Tasmania and Northern NSW, who are the swing voters.

They have been lobbied by Lowy to resist the reforms, despite the looming threat of FIFA intervention.
If the reforms are blocked, FIFA could sack the FFA board and replace them with a normalisation committee, or opt for the "nuclear option" of suspending the country's membership - which could have disastrous outcomes for the Socceroos and Matildas.
In a situation of last resort, Australia's international sides could be replaced in the draws for the upcoming Asian Cup and Women's World Cup.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

October 02, 2018 1:01pm

AAP

Aussie football crisis seemingly averted as FFA EGM passes sweeping congress changes

[https://cdn]Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy

GOVERNANCE reform is coming to Football Federation Australia, with pro-reform forces set to claim victory at the end of a two-year struggle for power of the sport.

The game’s state federations and sole A-League representative on the FFA Congress voted 8-2 to accept constitutional change at a meeting in Sydney on Tuesday.
The move will grow the number of seats at FFA’s top table and stave off the threat of intervention by FIFA.
More to come...

Wonder who the 2 no votes were from? ACT and who?

Interesting to see if an independent league will change the expansion plans or maybe open it up again to those whose bids were rejected. After all an independent A League may have vastly differing opinions on what is best for the league.

Just need to be mindful of the dark days. Self-interest from some very dodgy people almost killed the sport in this country. Can't go anywhere near back to that.

Wonder who the 2 no votes were from? ACT and who?

Interesting to see if an independent league will change the expansion plans or maybe open it up again to those whose bids were rejected. After all an independent A League may have vastly differing opinions on what is best for the league.
NT and northern nsw.

I hope this doesn't end being a case where the devil we knew was better than the one we didn't know.

As someone whose interested in football piqued then waned in the dying days of Soccer Australia (noting that the "dying days" were actually about 5 years long), I think it'll be a long time before I stop viewing major change in the game with cynicism, fear and trepidation.

Ross Solly, who used to be - and may still be - an ABC host/reporter, wrote a really good book a good 13 or so years ago now, called something like "Shoot out: The Politics of Australian Soccer's Fight for Survival". It's a particularly interesting book because it was written before the rise of the FFA on the back of the 2006 qualification and the early days of the A-League, so there was no real benefit of hindsight with the knowledge that the game would rise. I feel like it should be essential reading for anyone who wants to be involved in the games top echelons. Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

With all this great news of the FFA surrendering their baby, this'll mean that the Nix are about to have a secure spot in the independent league, with no binding metrics to meet :'D
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/367794/phoenix-now-confident-of-future-in-a-league
The general manager of the Wellington Phoenix, David Dome, says the club is confident about their future in the A-League following significant changes at Football Federation Australia yesterday.

The A-League is set to break away from the FFA after the governing body accepted constitutional changes allowing more of the games stake holders onto their congress.

An independent A-League is set to be in place by March next year.

Dome says each club will now be a stake holder of the A-League.

Dome says the Phoenix will no longer have any special licence requirements placed on them that none of the other clubs have to meet.

"It gives us certainty now around the licence, it gives us certainty around the Phoenix's tenure in the A-League, we're seen exactly the same as every other club."

"It'll reassure our fans, some of our key commercial partners, who have been there since day one, it helps with the city and so you pull all the pieces together and it is certainly a very strong light at the end of the tunnel and it does give us a lot of certainty going forward."

Yesterday the FFA accepted constitutional changes which will grow the FFA Congress from 10 to 29 members.

Photo: © Photosport Ltd

World governing body FIFA had threatened to intervene if the number of voters didn't grow.

More A-League club representatives will now get a place at the table.

It remains to be seen what will come of the A-League expansion process, which was supposed to select two new teams to enter the competition later this month.

The new clubs are likely to come from Sydney and Melbourne and will join the 2019-20 season.

The changes at the FFA means Steven Lowy's tenure as chairman - and his family's 15-year hold on Australian football - will end next month.

Lowy said the transformation would change the organisation dramatically.

"A philosophical shift has taken place," he said.

"I hope for the best for the game clearly but I certainly fear for the worst.

"Our game today has crossed a red line from a corporate governance model for football to one where stake holders with vested interests will compete for power and resources as opposed to those being decided for independent members of a board.

"This is a governance regime that I choose not to serve on ... I will not offer myself for re-election at the upcoming AGM."
I love you all.

I hope this doesn't end being a case where the devil we knew was better than the one we didn't know.

As someone whose interested in football piqued then waned in the dying days of Soccer Australia (noting that the "dying days" were actually about 5 years long), I think it'll be a long time before I stop viewing major change in the game with cynicism, fear and trepidation.

Ross Solly, who used to be - and may still be - an ABC host/reporter, wrote a really good book a good 13 or so years ago now, called something like "Shoot out: The Politics of Australian Soccer's Fight for Survival". It's a particularly interesting book because it was written before the rise of the FFA on the back of the 2006 qualification and the early days of the A-League, so there was no real benefit of hindsight with the knowledge that the game would rise. I feel like it should be essential reading for anyone who wants to be involved in the games top echelons. Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Fantastic book and a reminder of the pre-Lowy days. Solly these days is based whereever his foreign correspondent ABC wife is based as he's a stay at home dad at the moment.

I'm still in the better the devil you know camp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back