Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Floyd was bloody good, Cotto got on top in a few rounds in the middle there, but the judges got it about right.

Go to gaol now Floyd, and when you come out take one warm up fight then take on the matchup the whole world wants to see.

Didn't agree with the judges scorecards but it was obvious it should've been a UD.

I really liked Floyd's attack today, he just defies his age with his speed. That must go down as one of the best fights of his career. You can't fault Mayweather for anything he did today.

I had it as 117-113, 116-114 if I'm stretching it.

Gave Cotto at the most 3 rounds. He was hardly hitting Mayweather clean, and when he did, it was only emphasised cos we haven't seen it in a long time! Mayweather was still outlanding Cotto and being aggressive. He was in control for 80% of the fight. Good effort by Cotto, great fight, and that's the best I've seen Mayweather at in a long time.

Mayweather won easily. Could only give cotto 2 or 3 rounds. Whilst Cotto was aggressive, he hit Mayweather far too many times with blows that weren't scoring. Love him or hate him, the bloke is an incredible boxer with the perfect balance between defense and attack.

Canelo Alvarez was very impressive in his win over Mosley. De La Hoya doesn't seem keen to match him up with Pacquiao or Mayweather just yet. I think a Cotto vs Alvarez fight would be one hell of a scrap.

Khan v Peterson 2 looks like being called off after Peterson tested positive for artificial testosterone back in March. Not sure why it's just come out now but it's hard too see the fight happened now.

The reason Pacman will lose to Mayweather is because he relies on knockouts through flurries and fast punching. Whereas Mayweather is an evasive boxer, no flurry will occur and if one punch gets through it never hurts Mayweather because he's expert at limiting impact. Pacman can't hit hard either on the rare chance he'll get a good hit, since he relies on flurries against poor defensive fighters. His accuracy will get torn apart compared to Mayweathers perfect accuracy, its the best in recorded boxing history. Floyd might not KO him but he'll outbox and win.

This is why Mayweather wants Pac to take tests because he knows his speed is the power but not his punching power. Only drugs can improve Pacs punching power and combine it with Speed would likely beat Mayweather.

True?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^Agree with your first paragraph.

I dont think the testing is the issue anymore, but rather the PPV split. Mayweather wants to give Pacquiao $40 million but 0% of the PPV split.

He would wanna roll that shoulder a lot quicker against Manny.They'll be hitting flush instead of just brushing off the cheek on their way down.

The reason Manny won't be effective (IMO) is because he lunges to punch from a distance and, like others have said, flurries as he's coming in. To land against Floyd you have to stay at a certain range and throw smart combinations. We saw how Marquez schooled Pacquiao re: range. Pacquiao doesn't have an inside game either, so he's going to rely on a 1 punch lunging game changer to win. Something Floyd rarely allows to happen.

this is why I rate Teddy Atlas as the truth of boxing. Says exactly what he thinks and it's hard to argue against. The blame lands on Arum more than anyone for this fight not happening.

[YOUTUBE]8b_v-SXddi0[/YOUTUBE]

Couldn't agree more.

Carl Froch is the new IBF Super Middleweight champion after defeating Lucian Bute......if anyone cares.

Was a good performance from him though.
It was an excellent performance; he was underdog in this fight. Bute was heavily favored for literally doing nothing and was touted the new threat to Andre Ward yet was outclassed. Froch is heavily underrated and disliked mainly based on his personality. Rematch with Kessler now IMO

Froch fought a brilliant fight today. A rematch with Kessler is the obvious next fight for him.

It's interesting where Andre Ward now sits. A big fight was being built between Bute and Ward but that's obviously off the cards now. Having already pretty much cleared out the super middleweight division, what's next for Ward?

Bute was lucky to get out of the third round. He was just holding on for the last 30 seconds of the round. Was only a matter of time before Carl took him out.

Not sure what the ref was doing. Ran in and did a semi wave off signal and then turned around and started counting at Bute who was clearly just being held up by the ropes. Good work from his cornerman to walk in and effectively throw in the towel. Ref should have continued his wave off though because Bute was just getting pummelled.

Bit dangerous for Froch's manager to just go running into the ring when it wasn't completely clear what was happening.

again, this guy cracks me up (re: Froch v Bute)

[YOUTUBE]g67pwIkRugo[/YOUTUBE]
wait till he shows the replay

**** that's funny. ANyone like Bradley against PAC? I'm kinda off manny since the Marquez fight and the constant Jesus preaching just cause his mrs caught him muckin around . What a crutch

Yeah I've been off Manny for a while too, mainly because he's overrated and his opponents are pretty much tailor made for him (except for Marquez, and we all saw what happened there). Plus you got that greedy snake Arum pulling all the strings, and it's just not a situation you wanna support.

I actually had a dream last night that Bradley beat Pacquiao by UD and I was pissed because I didn't put a bet on it (or that I put money on Bradley to KO him only or something). That said, I haven't seen enough of Bradley to gauge what type of fighter he is or how his style is gonna match up, but I'm predicting a head clash. Not only is Bradley involved in a heap of head clashes, but it's orthodox v southpaw.

From memory he wasn't too convincing against an old cassamayor. He seems all muscles without the power. Anyone know the undercard schedule??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back