Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, that wasn't an ideal start to the season.

Nothing at all has changed game wise.

The better coached teams in the comp always have players moving forward demanding the ball. Or have options coming from behind to drive the ball forward and unsettle the oppositions defence.

The worst coached teams. i.e. us. Continue to play a stodgy game of chipping it out wide and barely 15 metres at a time. They play without any players constantly leading at the ball carrier from 5o metres away and with zero run from behind. Thus allowing one of the games best defensive outfits to work back in numbers. Have a bit of a drink and a chat and wait for the inevitable panicked high kick to their advantage.

Beveridge has NFI what he's doing. It's going to be a long season of watching crosses to the coaches box where he has the look of a constipated man looking out over what he has created. Like we saw today.

Last edited:

Same structural problems, same bottom 6 problems and same lack of ability to stop any momentum.

Bevo (and staff) managed to pick VDM and McNeil over two players who deserved it way more.

I was prepared to give Bevo a chance but it is clear that we are getting nowhere with him. Keeping McNeil on was a shocking decision let alone taking off Sanders.

It isn’t just RD1, we have been on the decline since the 2021 GF with no signs of improvement.

Also, I’m really not sure if I can get behind giving Tim a big contract when he gets worked by every physical ruck.

Did we do anything to address transition from the other teams defence, how easy was it for em just to chip through countless times, and McNeil not being subbed out, what in there right mind thought taking sanders off was a good idea, had 15 and effort was huge.
Man it’s gonna be along year isn’t it 🥲

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection committee too cute with the McNeil and VDM over guys like Macrae and Caleb Daniel. First game up so need a few weeks to judge, but the boys seemed to be really struggling fitness wise in the heat. The run through the middle was almost non existent.

Forward line looked pretty good at times and dangerous, but Demons got on top as the game went on. Still felt too small down back with Buku / Coffield more suited to 3rd tall roles, JOD would have been a nice option but might have to bring Keath in next week if we want a bit more height.

Positives:
Bramble had a great first game in our colours.
I can see it with Gallagher.
Jamarra looks like he’s about to explode. Hopefully the kicking at goal coincides.

Negatives:
Pretty much everything else.
The two things I wanted to see were ball movement & closing down of space, both were non-existent today.
I agree there are plenty of changes needed, but some of our top players were as bad/worse as those that should be dropped.
Naughton isn’t a full forward. I’d like to see him as a Centre Half Forward, if not in the backline.

A very quick rebuttal of a couple of outrageous selection choices. A bit of a blessing how obvious the underperformance was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back