Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure where this scapegoating of English is coming from. 23 touches, 10 contested. Poor game no doubt but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad people are making them out to be. Especially as he did have a few nice taps to advantage. Not claiming he played well but gee you'd think he turned it over 10 times or only gotten 7 touches in total or whatever with the carry on. English was far from our biggest issues and far from the reason we l
Because our midfield needs a ruck with a physical presence in the contest
I would take 10 sloppy handballs and kicks off the ground from a Nankervis type with a physical presence than 20 English link ups

A few individual positives were Gallagher, Bramble and I thought West is getting really good at that half forward role and makes things happen.

I also didn’t mind Buku’s game. He fell apart with his kicking at the end but he competed well and has space to develop in that role over a Keath or Gardener. Maybe as a third tall with JOD at CHF?
If the ball isn't kicked to his advantage where he can use his one great attribute and mark the ball. Buku is a liability, his kicking is shaky at best and he tends to get caught ball watching in no mans land unable to affect play. It's been an issue his entire career.

Having said that I genuinely felt for him today as he was hung out to dry by the MC who must've known that he was going to have to match up on a much taller SideShow Bob today. You could just see the confidence he had after taking great mark early just ebb away until he hit the nadir of that kick in.

Harmes played just 70% of the match and was probably the 2nd worst player on the ground behind McNeil and Dale did not 100% either. So much for every selected player to be as close to 100% fit as possible.

I was all for Macrae playing the VFL practice this week but Macrae at 70% would've been many times better than what Harmes served up today.

Our game plan is awful, slow and kick sideways or back wards towards boundry then covered up the line

McNeil and VDM both embarrassing couldn’t win a contest and just not up to it.

Good to see Bramble, West, Buku play ok, as well as Sanders

The contrast between what I saw live from the Swans on Friday night and us today was so stark. The Swans structure was so tight, they completely cut off the corridor and used their size advantage to full effect by moving the ball quickly across the ground and through the middle as a priority to give their forwards repeated opportunities running back to goal or toward the drop of the ball with one opponent (or none).

We employed a Swiss cheese zone, seemingly swapping between that and a man to man defence randomly. It was just as bad as that late 2022 period where we conceded record high uncontested marks. I still don’t know exactly what we’re trying to do with how we defend and it hasn’t changed in any noticeable way.

We refused to switch across the ground for most of the game, preferring to hold up play and kick down the line to outnumbers in marking contests, which just enabled the Dees’ rebound down the fat side of the ground and seriously limited our forwards.

The amount we had to work defensively compared to Melbourne was night and day. They looked like they were actually able to have a rest and conserve energy when we had the ball.

Glad we get another 12 season of working out whether Bevo is an enigma. Bont should be around forever so we've got plenty of time. :thumbsu:

Desk should have been cleared post the West Coast game last year but we're not a serious club so let's just spend another 12 months scratching our head to see. Next year we might be good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is watching our big blokes spoil each other!!??

Bonus points for doing it in the oppo goal square.

Extra bonus when they injure each other.

Double extra bonus when Weightman joins in!!!

La la la everything is ok!

This Is Fine GIF

Harmes played just 70% of the match and was probably the 2nd worst player on the ground behind McNeil and Dale did not 100% either. So much for every selected player to be as close to 100% fit as possible.

I was all for Macrae playing the VFL practice this week but Macrae at 70% would've been many times better than what Harmes served up today.

So Dale still underdone from his injury?

A rotating mid playing 70%?! Wow, is that because he was playing poorly, or carried an injury into the game, I wonder?

Melbourne should of been playing one of the other 7 sides that played last week. Having a game under their belt come round 1 was an enormous, unfair advantage.
If you're going to rely on the integrity of the AFL to ensure an even chance of victory, you'll be quickly left behind.

A rotating mid playing 70%?! Wow, is that because he was playing poorly, or carried an injury into the game, I wonder?
Carried an injury into the game. Upset his hammy in the practice game, was sent back on even though he reported hammy tightness. Hasn’t necessarily been well managed?

If he stinks it up again like that he shouldn't play for a month. Honestly, that was a performance from a bloke who looked like he was disinterested and/or beaten mentally before he walked onto the ground. It was shocking. He was getting out bodied by blokes 6,7,8 inches shorter and 20kgs lighter. And that's just the start.

Such a s**t way to start the season again. I hope we can turn things around quickly, but if not, we need to pull the cord on Bevo early and look forward. There's no way we can sit through another year like last year and hope that things will magically change.
It looked like the game of a guy who hit his head on the ground during that contest at CHB.

After looking at the replay. Im surprised that the commentary team didn't pick it up and that he wasn't taken from the ground as part of concussion protocols.

Last edited:

Dale was certainly far from his best so I'd assume he's still underdone, Harmes played 58%, 85%, 74% and 64% (QBQ) and spent the last 12 minutes of the match on the bench which surely was due to his overall performance.

Coach has clearly lost the players and he's also lost his ability to coach properly, went small today relative to Melbourne and instead of quick accurate passing to beat their talls they just bomb it in anyway. Darcy in the VFL? Macrae dropped? CD as sub? Bevo has lost the plot. Time to move Bevo on.

Last edited:

So glad we picked up Harmes…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back