Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How much do you pay for it if you're hosting the indoctrination session party?

I think you get some sort of gift. It was at a friends house so I'm not sure what she got. The way those things are set up though, I'm sure they promise something to make all the women go nuts, and all the guys sit there and think "That's nothing"

They really wont sell you one unless you have a bunch of randoms at your house?

Yeah, that was the thing that really pissed me off. This sales rep we had certainly didn't deserve the cut she would've no doubt got.

So for a $0.00 investment it's been pretty decent. Would you be saying the same thing if you paid?

I wouldn't pay 2 grand, but by the same token, I think it is worth that to some people.

Everyone I've ever met that uses one seems to consistently fail at cooking rice. It's like they have no clue so they buy a machine and throw rice in it and cross their fingers. Always seems to split the grains and end up with a massive layer of essentially glue in the bottom from not rinsing it properly :\

Everyone I've ever met that uses one seems to consistently fail at cooking rice. It's like they have no clue so they buy a machine and throw rice in it and cross their fingers. Always seems to split the grains and end up with a massive layer of essentially glue in the bottom from not rinsing it properly :\
Don't know how you could go wrong as long as you follow the measurements.
I used to use one, but now I've finally learnt how to cook rice after years of gluggy stuff.
My mistake was starting off with warm water. It needs to be cold!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we do is:

1 part rice
2 parts water
dollop of butter

Microwave for 12 minutes (1100 Watts) and rest for 5.

Does anyone feel strongly about rice cookers?
I strongly like ours although it is getting a little old in the tooth now. It also doubles as a steamer although we've never used it for that. Got it with some kind of reward points so didn't pay anything for it. I'm sure the method outlined by Pweter works just as well and one less appliance is always a good thing (unless you only have one appliance like a Thermomix because you've thrown everything else away because it does EVERYTHING).

Jury out, filo came out a little dry... Mango chutney was essential
They look the goods.

Who's good at glazing cherries?
Sounds kinky..

I strongly like ours although it is getting a little old in the tooth now. It also doubles as a steamer although we've never used it for that. Got it with some kind of reward points so didn't pay anything for it. I'm sure the method outlined by Pweter works just as well and one less appliance is always a good thing (unless you only have one appliance like a Thermomix because you've thrown everything else away because it does EVERYTHING).
Well if it's free that's half the problem gone. Still have to store it though so... haha. I mean it's fine if you have a kettle and a toaster and one or two other things, but I'm trying to imagine what a kitchen would look like if you had every single gadget they try to flog at Myer. Like do you even have room for plates and bowls and cutlery, with all that other junk? Another one I don't get; egg poachers? Like do you really need a machine just for poaching eggs?

As far as rice goes, absorption method in a pot on the stove, if I rinse it properly before hand (and soak it if I have time) it turns out just fine. And no need for a timer.

Well if it's free that's half the problem gone. Still have to store it though so... haha. I mean it's fine if you have a kettle and a toaster and one or two other things, but I'm trying to imagine what a kitchen would look like if you had every single gadget they try to flog at Myer. Like do you even have room for plates and bowls and cutlery, with all that other junk? Another one I don't get; egg poachers? Like do you really need a machine just for poaching eggs?

As far as rice goes, absorption method in a pot on the stove, if I rinse it properly before hand (and soak it if I have time) it turns out just fine. And no need for a timer.
Yeah I'm certainly not one for useless gadgets (popcorn maker anyone?). We live in a fairly large house for 2 people and we are busting at the seams with *stuff*. Tupperware is the worst though. We've got so much accumulated Tupperware type stuff I've had to take an armful and chuck it in another cupboard in a bedroom, the theory being that if we haven't missed any of it in 6 months we get rid of it. It's still there, but we haven't missed any of it. I think a massive housewide clean out is on the cards over the Christmas/New Year period.

Having said that I'm still seriously curious about the pasta machine.

And dry fryers.

Yeah I'm certainly not one for useless gadgets (popcorn maker anyone?). We live in a fairly large house for 2 people and we are busting at the seams with *stuff*. Tupperware is the worst though. We've got so much accumulated Tupperware type stuff I've had to take an armful and chuck it in another cupboard in a bedroom, the theory being that if we haven't missed any of it in 6 months we get rid of it. It's still there, but we haven't missed any of it. I think a massive housewide clean out is on the cards over the Christmas/New Year period.

Having said that I'm still seriously curious about the pasta machine.

And dry fryers.
Worst thing about tupperware or similar is that, unless you're really disciplined with storing it, it takes up so much space!!

Our tupperware cupboard is a disgrace.
Same. The old chuck it in and slam the cupboard door. Then when you open the door to get something out it all falls out again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back