Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

whats the go with musks twitter?

do you have to pay to get the verified tick or just to prove you arnt a bot?
The story going around is that verified users will have to pay $20 a month to keep the tick.

I presume they still need to be actually verified as a VIP (as they were before) and that they’re not going to give a blue tick to any old anonymous234 just because they paid money.

The stupid part is that most people only go on twitter because they want news/info from verified sources. Introducing a mechanism that discourages verified users from staying on the platform is counter to the best interests of the platform…

That said, if he wants to introduce a freemium model where users can pay extra for special features while it’s still free for the rest of us, it wouldn’t be the stupidest idea and those verified accounts would probably be up for it, as long as they weren’t being forced to.

You’d think a smart operator with a good handle on investment and market operations would not be acting in this way but… well the proof of the pudding is in the eating I guess.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
The story going around is that verified users will have to pay $20 a month to keep the tick.

I presume they still need to be actually verified as a VIP (as they were before) and that they’re not going to give a blue tick to any old anonymous234 just because they paid money.

The stupid part is that most people only go on twitter because they want news/info from verified sources. Introducing a mechanism that discourages verified users from staying on the platform is counter to the best interests of the platform…

That said, if he wants to introduce a freemium model where users can pay extra for special features while it’s still free for the rest of us, it wouldn’t be the stupidest idea and those verified accounts would probably be up for it, as long as they weren’t being forced to.

You’d think a smart operator with a good handle on investment and market operations would not be acting in this way but… well the proof of the pudding is in the eating I guess.

i'm not entirely sure about that

i'm sure a fair whack go on there just to banter, get on outrage tidal waves and generally troll people

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
80687980113dd44549e7f328af9b46d078ec9831

nice angle...hes a prick but hes our prick.

80687980113dd44549e7f328af9b46d078ec9831

nice angle...hes a prick but hes our prick.
That's actually about the smartest angle I've seen in a awhile. "Pollie X is a w***er, but they and their policies are better choice for us than anyone else at the moment" is refreshingly honest.

Also, election time PSA:
remember that Victoria still has the stupidest upper house voting rules in the country, so make sure you vote below the line on the upper house paper.
You only need to number 1-5 for your vote to count so it's not too taxing.
If you vote above the line only your first preference is considered, and then the party/person you voted for gets to allocate your preferences as they see fit.
Preferential voting is important, don't let someone else do it for you!

'Smart operator' might be stretching things a bit. Buys a $10 billion company for $44 billion and Stephen King told him to get ****ed so he dropped his twitter fee to $8 per month lol

Even the "he founded PayPal' stuff is a bit of a reach since his involvement is PayPal taking over the company he founded.

'Smart operator' might be stretching things a bit. Buys a $10 billion company for $44 billion and Stephen King told him to get ****ed so he dropped his twitter fee to $8 per month lol

Even the "he founded PayPal' stuff is a bit of a reach since his involvement is PayPal taking over the company he founded.
That’s the point lol

And again I ask. If biological markers are found in an iron ore deposit does that mean that iron comes from dead dinosaurs? It's a simple question but you refuse to answer it. Your one and only argument for biotic oil is these biological markers. You have literally nothing else. So we need to know whether those are relevant. They're not of course. Biological markers are everywhere in everything on Earth. Their presence tells us nothing.

I assume you've been thread banned or something but I'll respond anyway.

Biomarkers in iron ore may indicate a biological origin, yes. Probably not from dinosaurs though.

The hypothesised role of early organisms in the formation of some iron ore deposits is actually quite interesting

Anyway, we're all still waiting for your coal formation theory.

The last few days on twitter have been something to behold.

I wonder if it will outlast a lettuce
It’ll survive, but from the sound of things it’ll be very different with Space Karen as Chief Twit

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If guy gets in and halts the rail loop I'll personally lay a turd on his doorstep.

Biggest and best long term vision since gold rush funded 'marvellous Melbourne'

I don't think there's much danger of Andrews' losing this election. It's how much they win by that's the question. Guy & the LNP are really on the nose.

I think the Independents (similar to the Federal election) will do well.

The last few days on twitter have been something to behold.

I wonder if it will outlast a lettuce

It’ll survive, but from the sound of things it’ll be very different with Space Karen as Chief Twit

The thinnest skin

So someone on the internet went to the effort of posting screenshots of Musk's tweets and documenting the anarchy that followed, going all the way back to the day he toted a sink into Twitter HQ.

So for those not across it... this is the quick version (still long though):

Bring popcorn :)

How to vote in the upper house (above the line vs below the line):

Group voting tickets for the upper house are available here:

"How to vote" cards for the lower house are due by Friday so hopefully they'll be available online somewhere after that.

Looks like there's the Druery group all preferencing each other, the two major parties doing their own thing, and then another group that are preferencing each other as well, that look like being predominantly the crossbench parties from the last parliament?

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't think there's much danger of Andrews' losing this election. It's how much they win by that's the question. Guy & the LNP are really on the nose.

I think the Independents (similar to the Federal election) will do well.
He's a better than even chance of winning again, but there are plenty who are not a fan of his, myself included. Which also doesn't make said people Nazis, bigots, racists, etc, as the man himself would like you to believe.

He's a better than even chance of winning again, but there are plenty who are not a fan of his, myself included. Which also doesn't make said people Nazis, bigots, racists, etc, as the man himself would like you to believe.
Does he, though? Where has he said that?

He's probably been the best infrastructure Premier Victoria's ever had. He had his flaws (the security during lockdowns largely) but he's been very good at getting stuff done by and large.

In any case I'd expect him to maybe be Premier another 2 years, 3 at most before handing over to Jacinta Allen.

Back