Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the best word they've got to describe what it is they don't like.

It sounds even more silly to say "I don't like progress" than it does to say "I don't like woke people".

It's a bit cringe and is not always used correctly of course but it seems like it's generally used to criticise ideas that are dressed up as being progressive, aided by anti-oppositional language, but are considered by the critic to be regressive.

Like you allude to, it sounds silly to criticise anything under the banner of "progress" or "social justice" or other similar terms even if they are the opposite of what they claim to be.

It's a bit cringe and is not always used correctly of course but it seems like it's generally used to criticise ideas that are dressed up as being progressive, aided by anti-oppositional language, but are considered by the critic to be regressive.

Like you allude to, it sounds silly to criticise anything under the banner of "progress" or "social justice" or other similar terms even if they are the opposite of what they claim to be.
I can't imagine a situation where such nuance is required and I would revert to the word "woke". It just has so many different meanings and applications in the past as to be pointless.

I can't imagine a situation where such nuance is required and I would revert to the word "woke". It just has so many different meanings and applications in the past as to be pointless.

I don't use it either. I mainly see it used negatively but one of my very left leaning friends told me a lot of her friends are only interested in woke guys [insert joke] so it's obviously not confined to a criticism.

I don't use it either. I mainly see it used negatively but one of my very left leaning friends told me a lot of her friends are only interested in woke guys [insert joke] so it's obviously not confined to a criticism.
It would be a red-flag for me if they used it positively or negatively.

A bit like a mullet.

Was trying to find some reel I saw the other day about the origins of the word 'woke', which iirc is supposed to mean African Americans who are 'awake' to the implicit prejudices that surround them and perhaps willing to stand up to it. It was originally supposed to be a positive/self-empowering word but has obviously been 'weaponised' as well.

Instead of finding the reel, I found this link that kind of opens the same can of worms anyway: Here’s what ‘woke’ means and how to respond to it

The thing that I find interesting in all that, is the bit about calling something 'woke' implying that the non-woke alternative is at least as good. If woke is the same thing as inclusive/respectful, then the logical conclusion is that the person rejecting a 'woke' practice it is not the one currently being excluded or disrespected by existing practices...

Yep, the historical meaning of the word is partially why I don't like people using it as a criticism.

Not only is it lazy, it's not even the correct usage.
When people call me woke I take it as a compliment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

feeling depressed and mad at a seeming escalation of violence towards women from men. ballarat this week and sydney just yesterday. what the * is wrong with people that they dream and eventually create violence and hurt for no real reason. it makes me ******* mad.

what sort of education can we bring young people to prevent crimes like this from constantly occurring. it's absolutely sickening, and the racist and anti-semetic fear mongering that occurred after the bondi mall stabbing makes me furious. have we really regressed that far as a society? that something bad happens and it's always a non-white's fault? it's despicable, and the fear mongering losers who stoke those fires for interaction bait deserve to be publicly shamed and vilified for their actions.

Yeah I had high hopes for Gen Z in being born into a world that had already created inroads for them to correct the bullshit that came before it.

Seems like there's a heavy amount of misogyny among them, sadly.

There’s always going to be bad people doing bad things. Whether that’s due to shitty beliefs, shitty upbringing, mental illness, addiction, or other. We’ll never eradicate that completely.

I do think these incidents stand out so much more because society as a whole is getting better though. Years ago domestic violence was a silent thing that happened in private at home, now it’s more publicised, more reported, and (hopefully) people are more able to seek and receive help to escape dangerous situations.

It won’t be perfect or flawless, but better than what’s gone before.

Agree that it's much, much better.

I just see hints of the inevitable over correction happening, much like it is in response to cancel culture. Different topic because there's no nuanced discussion to be had about abuse, but the response from certain types of people (let's be real, men) is evident.

Agree that it's much, much better.

I just see hints of the inevitable over correction happening, much like it is in response to cancel culture. Different topic because there's no nuanced discussion to be had about abuse, but the response from certain types of people (let's be real, men) is evident.

Sadly there's toxic grifters like Andrew Tate out there, and vulnerable people who listen to those grifters.

The two issues that need a lot more effort put into for me are violence towards women and in some cases just general violence in the form of coward punches and stupid alfa male aggression and the impact of mental health and drug issues .

I may be off the mark but in my view the Alfa male behavior is behind the violence towards women and the brawls you see where blokes get hit and knocked out or killed.

Then you have the situation where officials knew about the mental health issues the people who have killed someone.

Needs to be a lot less time spent showboating for political gain and more time actually chipping away at the issues.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back