The I hate my job thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I love my job and the people I work with.

In saying that, this last month has been tough. My boss(who is at retirement age), has been getting more and more tired from the pain medicine, getting quite forgetful and increasingly reliant on others to do her job. But worst of all, her mood has been all over the place. No one has escaped her wraith in the last month.

alas, I don't see her retiring anytime soon despite all this. She is one of those people who loves being around the workplace. But it is also very hard to change anything as she doesn't understand what is wrong or ways we could improve. quite frustrating,

Last edited:
Business Analyst with a Bachelor of Computing.

What software/coding did you learn?

I haven't had any formalised training, but through doing basic SQL queries, Power BI over the last few years, worked my way up through to a Metrics Analyst position (analyst in title only IMO).

Learning s**t on the go plus outside of my regular duties has contributed to a f*** tonne of stress and anxiety. I've learned as much as I can in my current role - but I need to learn more to be more indispensible.

They have a project (that despite my employers saying otherwise) is 100% going to absorb my role. So want to be prepared just in case.

I haven't had any formalised training, but through doing basic SQL queries, Power BI over the last few years, worked my way up through to a Metrics Analyst position (analyst in title only IMO).

Learning s*t on the go plus outside of my regular duties has contributed to a f** tonne of stress and anxiety. I've learned as much as I can in my current role - but I need to learn more to be more indispensible.

They have a project (that despite my employers saying otherwise) is 100% going to absorb my role. So want to be prepared just in case.
I'm trying to get away from data analysis/BI/this stuff altogether

There's no chance we as normal people keep up with what's coming. Automation will be incredible the next 5 years and BI roles could cease to exist (or close to) if machine learning can automate front end to managers/non-tech people to use/gather/import data & stats. That is if companies have the appetite for it, some will, some won't. But in theory these roles could be automated/off shored pretty quickly

For being indispensable - best bet is moving into roles where the machines need us. Stakeholder engagement, project management etc. Basic SQL/BI etc as you can probably see already can be swallowed up quickly if the company wants it to be and invests short term into it

Learning s*t on the go plus outside of my regular duties has contributed to a f** tonne of stress and anxiety. I've learned as much as I can in my current role - but I need to learn more to be more indispensible.

I hate coding and refuse to learn. I was forced to do Java

I'm trying to get away from data analysis/BI/this stuff altogether

There's no chance we as normal people keep up with what's coming. Automation will be incredible the next 5 years and BI roles could cease to exist (or close to) if machine learning can automate front end to managers/non-tech people to use/gather/import data & stats. That is if companies have the appetite for it, some will, some won't. But in theory these roles could be automated/off shored pretty quickly

For being indispensable - best bet is moving into roles where the machines need us. Stakeholder engagement, project management etc. Basic SQL/BI etc as you can probably see already can be swallowed up quickly if the company wants it to be and invests short term into it

Was thinking a lot of what you're saying. That being said, my company forked out a lot of dough recently for software that doesn't already do what we have already. Reckon probably 5+ closer to 10 that things get moved along with AI.

I think the big corps will be the ones with appetite (supermarket chains, banks etc) but everyone else will take a while to bother or catch on.

Dealing with people on a regular basis want to move away from more lol. So reckon I'm probably going to scale back and try and find a permanent less career driven job, probably in the same sector and probably still my current or previous employer.

Was thinking about trying uni online again, but I think having just turned 40 will probably end up being a waste of time and money.

Was thinking a lot of what you're saying. That being said, my company forked out a lot of dough recently for software that doesn't already do what we have already. Reckon probably 5+ closer to 10 that things get moved along with AI.

I think the big corps will be the ones with appetite (supermarket chains, banks etc) but everyone else will take a while to bother or catch on.

Dealing with people on a regular basis want to move away from more lol. So reckon I'm probably going to scale back and try and find a permanent less career driven job, probably in the same sector and probably still my current or previous employer.

Was thinking about trying uni online again, but I think having just turned 40 will probably end up being a waste of time and money.
Uni was a complete waste of time for me TBH. I don't think that many employers care what paper you have (as long as you're not applying for engineering, lawyer, medical etc where it's mandatory). My current employer didn't even ask for proof of what I have and it definitely created no new leads adding it to my CV

Uni was a complete waste of time for me TBH. I don't think that many employers care what paper you have (as long as you're not applying for engineering, lawyer, medical etc where it's mandatory). My current employer didn't even ask for proof of what I have and it definitely created no new leads adding it to my CV
I regret my degree daily.

I wish I had done business

I hate my job
I used to be in employment but decided to start my own small cleaning business so I didn't have to deal with office politics and constant bitching. But the grass isn't greener on the other side. Just busted my arse for 18 hrs, no breaks and still not paying myself super or saving for tax time. Thinking about closing it down and going back to a steady wage. Atleast with a regular income I won't have the added stress of trying to find the next big job. The business is growing at a comfortable pace but it needs another couple years that I don't think I'm willing to put in. Already went and got a part time morning job to keep some money coming in. But financial insecurity is my main issue and I'm the wrong side of 30 now. I keep saying to myself atleast I gave it a go.

I regret my degree daily.

I wish I had done business

For a long time, I thought got no value out of my time at uni. I didn't even get the piece of paper, but managed to still accrue a large (showing my age ) HECS debt. At stages, I had big regrets, but looking back, I made lifelong friends, had some great experiences and learned a lot about myself and the world, so maybe in hindsight, you may look at it differently?

I hate my job
I used to be in employment but decided to start my own small cleaning business so I didn't have to deal with office politics and constant bitching. But the grass isn't greener on the other side. Just busted my arse for 18 hrs, no breaks and still not paying myself super or saving for tax time. Thinking about closing it down and going back to a steady wage. Atleast with a regular income I won't have the added stress of trying to find the next big job. The business is growing at a comfortable pace but it needs another couple years that I don't think I'm willing to put in. Already went and got a part time morning job to keep some money coming in. But financial insecurity is my main issue and I'm the wrong side of 30 now. I keep saying to myself atleast I gave it a go.

After being a wage slave all my life, and this might sound weird, but I recently asked my late mum if I should start a business, and she told me "why would you give yourself that headache?" I heeded her advice, and I think I'm lucky I did.

From what I can tell, the successful ones are family enterprises where you can lean on people you can trust ( in the main part ) when the going gets tough, and you need a break. Hopefully, you can soon transition to something more secure, and lessen that stress.

But "wrong side of 30"? Please believe me when I say you're still very, very young.

I hate my job
Keep at it, get help. Bigger risk, bigger reward and all that

If you weren't happy in the office and its growing at a steady pace, will it be worth sticking with 5 years from now? If yes, keep going. Try and find some help, whether it be marketing for you, taking small jobs on, something to give you a break cheaply

I hate my job

Without knowing details it seems like you are on the verge of getting it successful.

No business is successful overnight. It takes time blood, sweat and tears.

Dunno man, maybe in a year or two you can be sitting behind a computer in your house while you have employees doing the s**t.

I´ld be thinking this through carefully.

I really hate my job and company. I am trying a career change into a different industry, but its really hard to get an opportunity as an old grad/trainee, but I am determined to move!

I spend my days at work scouring seek, applying for roles and ignoring the pricks in the office who I hate more than the job itself.

I have taken a different approach. I am really trying to get everything I can out of the job right now. I should be blessed I have one, because I know how hard it is to get another one.

Things have been better, and whilst I have a couple of job applications for new industries on the go, I am still trying to move within my company. Another internal position has come up and once again, I have put my best foot forward and trying to snare the sideways move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wondering -- what salary would you need to be paid to work a job that you hated, and how many hours a week would you tolerate it?

I'm on $149k +super and I am borderline hating my job. Unfortunately, like a lot of people I'm probably a prisoner to my wage and know that if I just up and quit then it would be a significant drop in salary

Wondering -- what salary would you need to be paid to work a job that you hated, and how many hours a week would you tolerate it?
Too many variables like mortgage etc to answer

I had the golden handcuffs and eventually left, then unfortunately the next job is the least social/welcoming place I've ever worked so already looking elsewhere. The grass isn't always greener I guess

Are there any positives about the role? low stress, good colleagues etc or hate everything? If the latter, I'd be moving providing you can afford to... Happiness is still important, you spend a lot of time at work

Find what you value - salary, commute time, WFH, roster, daily tasks, good colleagues etc and find something accordingly. Unfortunately we won't find something we love to go and do so have to weigh up the pros and cons

Work sucks. Unfortunately we have to do it.

I don´t mind working when I´m in Adelaide because there is literally nothing else to do.
All I want to do is work as much as I can to keep busy, make and save $$$

When I´m in cool places I think it would be amazing to be free here and live each day on my terms.

Just finished at my job today, with a new role to start in a week or so. Smallish business I was with has gone from "hero to zero" in the last year as my boss decided to push funds into a NZ start up operating in the same field as the current Aust based business. 12 mths later and the cupboard is as good as bare in both the Aust and NZ bank accounts, there's bugger all sales in the NZ market of any real consequence, a BDM over there who is pulling a nice salary for making those no sales, rent to pay etc etc. All this and yet the old "it'll be alright, we've put in the ground work" line has been being trotted out over and over. Much head shaking from me as the reality seems so blatantly obvious, eventually leading to me seeing the writing on the wall. Relief at the end of one era and excitement over a new start the overwhelming feelings as I enjoy a quiet beverage this evening.

Just got rejected for another internal application because I show too much interest in career growth and they want someone who will stay in the role long term.

Probably the funniest rejection and lie that HR have tried on me
There is some truth to that though, not saying in your position specifically, but those people who look great (a bit overqualified) for the position advertised and you have to ask yourself, why are they really applying for the position? If they're likely to be bored in six months and they're just using the original role as a foot in the door, sometimes it isn't worth it just to have someone who'll be miserable or bored out of their brain with the role that's exactly what they applied for shortly after the end of their probation, or applying for every position under the sun because they always wanted something better and only applied as a stopgap.

I wouldn't say I hate my job, but I'm so bloody over the default 30 minute meetings for nothing. It gets to the stage where I block out almost every available spot in my calendar with 'appointments' to work on the stuff that I'm actually supposed to. Another one dropped into my inbox just before the end of the day: "We're catching up with xx on Wednesday, so just wanted to book in some time with you after (and without xx) to make sure we're all on the same page." How is that 30 minutes? That's stopping at my desk for five minutes, or - better yet - an email. But I don't want to be a prick when it's like an intern or a grad, so I don't say, "can we make this maybe 10 minutes instead?" though I always wish I would.

Last edited:
why are they really applying for the position?

I work in IT. They're the business. It's a career change.

They have a high turnover because they hire ******* morons and that will just continue. What bugs me is that the manager really pushed for me and HR actively sabotaged me again. This has happened three years in a row over numerous positions.

Anyway, I'm sick of justifying why the * I want to start this career that I've just decided to end it and leave.

HR have successfully broken me at this company.

Just got rejected for another internal application because I show too much interest in career growth and they want someone who will stay in the role long term.

Probably the funniest rejection and lie that HR have tried on me

My current job they were very interested in someone wanting to commit to the role and be there for a while because they’d had a lot of turnover.

At the time I should have seen the red flag, but I was simply interested in the location more than the job itself.

Now I’m very much at the stage of hating the job, but it’s mainly due to the people in the team and I see why they’ve gone through so many people in the role. I’m probably the longest serving person they’ve had and it’s not because they think I’m great, they just can’t fire me as I was an internal applicant I didn’t even have to do a probationary period.

The biggest issue is, some of the team are real bitches and it’s doing work that is usually done at a higher level of pay.

I’ve already had an interview for another job, which was frustrating as it seemed like a waste of time as they’d already chosen their candidate and were just ticking a box. Wouldn’t even provide feedback afterwards.

But as I own my home with no mortgage, I’m at the stage where I have to decide do I keep working the job I hate just to keep some income, or go back to being a dole bludger until I find something else.

My other option is to see if they’ll let me go part time and hire someone else to share the role, might be able to put up with them 2 days a week…

My current job they were very interested in someone wanting to commit to the role and be there for a while because they’d had a lot of turnover.

At the time I should have seen the red flag, but I was simply interested in the location more than the job itself.

Now I’m very much at the stage of hating the job, but it’s mainly due to the people in the team and I see why they’ve gone through so many people in the role. I’m probably the longest serving person they’ve had and it’s not because they think I’m great, they just can’t fire me as I was an internal applicant I didn’t even have to do a probationary period.

The biggest issue is, some of the team are real bitches and it’s doing work that is usually done at a higher level of pay.

I’ve already had an interview for another job, which was frustrating as it seemed like a waste of time as they’d already chosen their candidate and were just ticking a box. Wouldn’t even provide feedback afterwards.

But as I own my home with no mortgage, I’m at the stage where I have to decide do I keep working the job I hate just to keep some income, or go back to being a dole bludger until I find something else.

My other option is to see if they’ll let me go part time and hire someone else to share the role, might be able to put up with them 2 days a week…
At least they hired internally. I have been sabotaged for the past three years with different opportunities.

And interviews I end up getting are good but I always lose out to internal candidates!

I've started just applying for anything and everything now. I used to be selective but I just want out.

I am interviewing for two public sector roles that are going ok, but those take 12 months from application to hiring.

At least they hired internally. I have been sabotaged for the past three years with different opportunities.

And interviews I end up getting are good but I always lose out to internal candidates!

I've started just applying for anything and everything now. I used to be selective but I just want out.

I am interviewing for two public sector roles that are going ok, but those take 12 months from application to hiring.

The frustrating part is the job I really, really want and have interviewed for a few times at different locations, always goes to outside people with zero knowledge of of our organisation or industry.

The worst part is, my current job could be done by anyone with the skills without any need for organisational experience. The one I want desperately needs people who know what they’re talking about, yet the people hiring don’t understand this and always go outside. The people they get are usually useless but they’re stuck with them and management can’t see they’re hopeless but their colleagues and the people they are supposed to be helping can’t stand them.

My previous role didn’t need experience of our industry as a criteria, but it was extremely lucky for them I did as I had to interpret the requests from people who didn’t know wtf they were talking about.

Main thing with public sector, don’t work for an organisation that the current government hates and does everything to sabotage!

Standing at the bus stop this morning

10 mins late, it's clear it's not coming. Slowly walk back home to drive to the exchange and wondering why TF I'm waiting for a bus that isn't coming to take me 40 mins into the CBD to do a job I could do 100% remotely because middle management can't actually manage people unless you sit next to them in person. ******* infuriating and needless when you stop and think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back