Analysis the Josh Treacy effect

Remove this Banner Ad

in preseason I’ve said we need 100 goals from our key fwds and 30 goals from our mids to make finals

I had it
Amiss 50
Jacko 30
Treacy 20

Think I could be wrong and 120 goals from our key fwds could be on
45 amiss
35-40 Treacy
35-40 jacko

If this keeps up we are a genuine chance at not just finals but winning one

Have really enjoyed watching Josh since he was drafted. Has all the hallmarks of a great forward in the mould of a dare I say Jonathan Brown.

On the couch did a little section on Treacy last night.

Apparently 38% of the time when he's a target inside 50 it's converted to a goal.

That's #4 in the league.

Jonathan Brown compared him to Tom Hawkins.

Have to temper the enthusiasm with the fact he was dominating in the air against Khamis, another 15-20 gamer.
Jones went to him for a while as well im sure, but yeah dogs dont have the greatest defenders. regardless treacy has put togther a very strong month of form and looks to continue that. clearly gaining a lot of confidence in himself. he really can do it all, kick goals, take marks, beautiful field kick and smash blokes while hes at it as well. total stud

On the couch did a little section on Treacy last night.

Apparently 38% of the time when he's a target inside 50 it's converted to a goal.

That's #4 in the league.

Jonathan Brown compared him to Tom Hawkins.
Personally think Brown is the better comparison but he isn’t going to say “he plays like me”

Last edited:
14.3 for the year, he’s become our most reliable shot on goal.
Kicked 4 goals straight so it's now 18 goals and 3 behinds.

No issues on him doing a Chris Mayne of 2012 or 2013.

Mayne in 2012 kicked 39 goals and 7 behinds. In 2013 , he kicked 35 goals and 10 behinds.

It has been a slow start but gradual improvement.

2021: 15 games but kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds.

2022: 4 games and only 1 goal. Not surprising as Amiss only had a handful of games too. Experienced blokes like Rory Lobb and Matt Taberner were the main KPF guys in 2022 and Freo made finals.

2023: 17 games and 15 goals. Some good games, some quiet games. Key forwards takes time to develop. Traecy is no exception.

2024: didn't play round 1. Played every game from rounds 2 to 8. 18 goals and 3 behinds.

No issues with him kicking 35 goals and 10 behinds in 2024.

Last edited:

2022: 4 games and only 1 goal. Not surprising as Amiss only had a handful of games too. Experienced blokes like Rory Lobb and Matt Taberner were the main KPF guys in 2022 and Freo made finals.

2023: 17 games and 15 goals. Some good games, some quiet games. Key forwards takes time to develop. Traecy is no exception.

2014: didn't play round 1. Played every game from rounds 2 to 8. 18 goals and 3 behinds.

reckon he gets 45 plus personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014: didn't play round 1. Played every game from rounds 2 to 8. 18 goals and 3 behinds.

As a 12 year old that's bloody impressive! Skies the limit.

2024: didn't play round 1. Played every game from rounds 2 to 8. 18 goals and 3 behinds.

If there's 23 rounds, we're approx. a 3rd of the way through the season. Going off this current trajectory if he's kicking 18 a third, he's on target for 54!! Honestly, if Treacy stays healthy and kicks over 50 goals, I will shoot my load......

Last edited:
in preseason I’ve said we need 100 goals from our key fwds and 30 goals from our mids to make finals

I had it
Amiss 50
Jacko 30
Treacy 20

Think I could be wrong and 120 goals from our key fwds could be on
45 amiss
35-40 Treacy
35-40 jacko

If this keeps up we are a genuine chance at not just finals but winning one
Based on current averages:

Treacy 52
Amiss 38
Jackson 23

Midfield 37 (Fyfe, Sharp, Brayshaw, Johnson, Young)

Darcy 12 but with a small sample size atm.

Others:

Banfield 29
Frederick 25
Walters 23
Switta 12
Emmett 12

Based on current averages:

Treacy 52
Amiss 38
Jackson 23

Midfield 37 (Fyfe, Sharp, Brayshaw, Johnson, Young)

Darcy 12 but with a small sample size atm.

Others:

Banfield 29
Frederick 25
Walters 23
Switta 12
Emmett 12
Amiss is really 42 since he got subbed in Q1 against WC and is 12/6 otherwise.

But I also don't expect Treacy to kick this accurately all year so anything over 40 is a great result from here from him.

I don't see why Treacy couldn't kick this accurately season round, he's one of the best set shots in the team, if not the best, he very rarely misses.
Because that level of accuracy never happens for any player over any decent stretch. You're basically asking him to produce an all time level of accuracy for a season.

Amiss, for example, went 41.17 last year but is 12.8 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back