Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

4th year Law/Media at Adelaide. Finished Media, but still a couple more years of Law to go. Let's just say the media degree was a lot more interesting.

Please tell me there are some sane law students out there!

Free plug: you should check out Survive Law, heard about the site from a friend (I didn't do law but a lot of people I work with did) It's written in plain English and I think you'd find it useful!

Third year of commerce(finance)/law at Melbourne Uni. (I just scraped in under the old model.) I'm very much enjoying both my degrees, which is surprising given I fall under the category of "here because I can" category of law students. I would love to practice law when I graduate, but unfortunately, I lack the ability to tolerate a large part of the law faculty and cannot for the life of me bring myself to network for the purpose of finding a job at a large law firm later on in life. The future is looking pretty doom and gloom at the moment considering there is not much of a financial market left in the world either.

Fourth year La Trobe Law, and you know how the game works? ;)

It's pretty well known (especially in Melbourne) that work has dropped off.

But with the GFC and the whole phasing out of articles thing that is going on, for someone like you, it seems a lot tougher than it really is.

It will pick up.

On a sidenote Chief, I'd like to work in a small firm that handles IPO's and M&A's, and doesn't demand 60+ hrs a week...
Yeah, because full time work is the only way of knowing how the law profession operates :rolleyes:

The future is looking pretty doom and gloom at the moment considering there is not much of a financial market left in the world either.

People will always:

* have money

* want to invest money

* have arguments and agreements and

* require legal resolution to problems.

By the time you're out of Uni there is likely to be more work, or even different types of applications for what you've learned.

Im third year of law/IR at La Trobe, but i think I have about 3 years still to go. I think Im strange in that contracts has been my favourite subject so far and I think because of my other degree I'll probably end up in international trade. I can feel my personality slowly draining away with every semester.
I put this course in my preferences and I'm itching to get it. Is the IR component challenging or more interesting/easier than the law degree, and will the IR degree allow you to work internationally?

First year Law @ Griffith University on the Gold Coast.
I suppose the mundane nature of the course (Contracts anyone?) is balanced by the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows up here.
Hoping to start Sports Law sometime soon, should be interesting. Very keen on finding out the legal principles behind why blokes can belt each other on a footy field and get away with it. :)

First year Law @ Griffith University on the Gold Coast.
I suppose the mundane nature of the course (Contracts anyone?) is balanced by the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows up here.
Hoping to start Sports Law sometime soon, should be interesting. Very keen on finding out the legal principles behind why blokes can belt each other on a footy field and get away with it. :)

It's all about consent. Pallante v. Stadium PTY or something is the precedent for it i think...i really should know, it was in my lecture yesterday :eek:. I'm currently doing Law/Commerce (Accounting), 1st year.

Remember, when you're studying something so dry, try and keep a 750mL bottle of Pump around to prevent dehydration. :D

haha thanks for that theres quite a few precedents around regarding defences when charged with assault (in a sport where heavy contact is expected). Two main ones are self defence, consent and provocation (except in murder cases. it only mitigates the penalty).

Pallante v Stadiums if anyone is interested.
ty 750mlPump (can i ask whats with the obsession?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm doing Arts/Law at La Trobe. I'm only doing Law because no one hires an Arts student. I'm finding it quite dry. The teacher asked an ice breaker question of the group - "who here wants to become a lawyer?" to which everyone except me put their hand up. Should I change to another subject to market myself for a job?

Harro stick with it everyone feels the same at the beginning. Fact is once you have the technique down and put in the effort its not all that harder than anything else.

The money you can make in the Law can be used to fund other more interesting pursuits. If the idea of a big law firm turns you off (like it would any sane person) there are heaps of other alternatives

f*ck I hate law students.

parents both lawyers, girlfriend is doing law, friends doing law, can't stand being surrounded by a right pack of tw*ts

The money you can make in the Law can be used to fund other more interesting pursuits.

Ironically I plan to use the money I make from interesting pursuits to fund my law degree. :eek:

Finished my law degree last year and am about three months off admission. Can't wait to get off the articled clerk/trainee wages.

Studying law is draining and I reckon it takes the sting off your imagination just a touch. I did a B.A before doing law and realised about halfway through law that the course has sucked any idealistic zeal and desire to save the world I may have had after completing the B.A!

To be quite honest, I can't see myself in this game for too long. Hopefully no longer than 5 or 10 years. Famous last words.

Just in the second week of the College of Law's Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (having completed an honours law degree in 2005).

I really wish I didn't have to waste time on civil stuff in order to be admitted, when I have no intention of practicing in anything other than crime.

Combining online study with full-time work is rather difficult. It's not hugely onerous, but it's just a weight on my shoulders to know that even when I'm working on one thing, there's more work piling up...

To be quite honest, I can't see myself in this game for too long. Hopefully no longer than 5 or 10 years. Famous last words.

That's actually my glorious ten year plan. Do law, work in law and move on in 2020.

That's actually my glorious ten year plan. Do law, work in law and move on in 2020.

Yeah, it's my opinion that if you stay in anything too long it gets bad for you - got to keep moving and improving.

Hopefully after a few years tick by I'll have learned a few tricks and find a few avenues to move into something else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back