Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't watched the match yet, but it's disappointing that Australia conceded to a minnow like Vietnam. Counting down the months until Milicic is a memory in terms of coaching the Matildas. He did take the job under unusual circumstances, but I hope Australia finds a better coach to replace him.

Back to last week's match. I'm still in the process of watching it. But boy howdy, if I were Milicic I would have second thoughts about taking Logarzo to the Olympics assuming it goes ahead. That was such a bad penalty. I also feel that with Van Egmond playing the advanced midfield role, she is superfluous to needs.

Just a pity that the friendlies against the USA and Canada are cancelled because that would have allowed Milicic to tinker with his formation.

Interesting. Steph Catley has announced this morning that she is leaving OL Reign (formerly Seattle Reign). My understanding is that she had a year to run on her deal, so I suppose that she has bought herself out. I imagine she must be off to Europe because her stated ambition was to play in the UK.

Interesting. Steph Catley has announced this morning that she is leaving OL Reign (formerly Seattle Reign). My understanding is that she had a year to run on her deal, so I suppose that she has bought herself out. I imagine she must be off to Europe because her stated ambition was to play in the UK.

Yeah, the shift continues. I get it from a money perspective though not from a skills perspective (yet). For a slyer nearing the end of her career, like Catley, it would be good. For Roestbakken, you'd think she'd learn more from NWSL.

Speaking of NWSL, I see they're starting again with a round robin tournament in Utah in late June.

What does the OL in OL Reign stand for?

I'm not sure whether it formally stands for anything but Seattle Reign was purchased by Lyon in the NWSL off season and rebranded to be consistent with Lyon's name, Olympic Lyonnaise.

I'm not sure whether it formally stands for anything but Seattle Reign was purchased by Lyon in the NWSL off season and rebranded to be consistent with Lyon's name, Olympic Lyonnaise.
Ah that makes sense then, because all I could think of when seeing OL was Olympic Lyonnaise

Only leaves four players in the NWSL at the moment. Carpenter at the Thorns, Arnold at Chicago, and Van Egmond and Kennedy at Orlando. Kellond-Knight, Lydia Williams and Kyah Simon presently have no club and I think Polkinghorne is going back to Norway.

Emma Checker joining FC Fleury 91 in France. This is a rare occasion where the women's team is better than the men's team. The men's team plays in the fourth tier of men's football in France, but the women's team is in the first division.

I'm not sure that joining this team will help her ambitions of playing for Australia again in the short term though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of a bombshell over night. Ellie Carpenter is transferred to Olympique Lyonnaise despite signing multi year contract with Portland last year.

Three pretty significant departures for Melbourne City in the last week or so. Two-fifths of their defence and a pretty influential attacking midfielder. I would also think there is a fairly strong prospect that Kinga won't be back. We don't yet know where Catley has gone after leaving OL Reign, but I don't see her coming back to Melbourne any time soon either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back