Matildas The Matildas Thread

The Age reports this morning that UEFA voted for Colombia as a bloc, which will explain why the English FA head refused to take Arderns call. But CONCACAF apparently voted as a bloc for Australia-NZ over Colombia.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The Age reports this morning that UEFA voted for Colombia as a bloc, which will explain why the English FA head refused to take Arderns call. But CONCACAF apparently voted as a bloc for Australia-NZ over Colombia.
Which you have to say is very surprising.
CONCACAF are in the same time zone as Colombia as well as many nations even border the country. Huge favour for us.
Since when has UEFA/England ever cared about the status quo. The most corrupted section of the game. England not voting for us, when we’re in the freaking Commonwealth m is absurd and embarrassing. What did Colombia offer them ? Has to be a significant sum of money

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Which you have to say is very surprising.
CONCACAF are in the same time zone as Colombia as well as many nations even border the country. Huge favour for us.
Since when has UEFA/England ever cared about the status quo. The most corrupted section of the game. England not voting for us, when we’re in the freaking Commonwealth m is absurd and embarrassing. What did Colombia offer them ? Has to be a significant sum of money

From what I've read, England is thinking about getting UEFA's support for a future men's World Cup bid.

From what I've read, England is thinking about getting UEFA's support for a future men's World Cup bid.

Yes, I think that's right. UEFA wanted to support Colombia and England wants support for its 2030 bid.

Bossi wrote yesterday that he expected France, Italy and England to support Australia and NZ's bid. Was always going to be optimistic.

UEFA put out a statement saying that it voted for Colombia because women's football is well established in Australia and NZ and women's football has a huge development potential in Colombia. FFS.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm so stoked about this result. Been holding back tears this morning watching the coverage. This is huge. We thought the women's cricket world cup was big. This will be bigger, IMO. If the FFA plans this right and makes sure the preparations are on point, there is no reason why Australia could not play in the final. We have the talent. We just need the leadership.

And a new coach?

And a new coach?

All up in the air but Milicic's contract was to expire at the end of the Olympics to let him start preparing for MacArthur FC. I assume that is still on the cards so hopefully yes, a new coach. I would hope the FFA bring in someone experienced in women's football (not Phil Neville) to unlock the potential of the Matilda's. The pressure is on to find the right coach.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Great news for both the sport itself and women's sport.

Interesting that UEFA went with Colombia - I assume that is for the reason ESPN speculated of just the "old powers" of UEFA and CONMEBOL sticking together. Were they the only people to vote for Colombia? I cbf'd to google each of the names to see where those people are from

Great news for both the sport itself and women's sport.

Interesting that UEFA went with Colombia - I assume that is for the reason ESPN speculated of just the "old powers" of UEFA and CONMEBOL sticking together. Were they the only people to vote for Colombia? I cbf'd to google each of the names to see where those people are from
yeah the Colombia votes were just UEFA and CONMEBOL sticking together, everyone else voted for Aus/NZ (w

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
If the 2023 Women's World Cup proves to be the success we all hope it is, I think we will take in all the benefits that can help the South East Queensland 2032 Olympics bid and potential other attempts to secure the FIFA Men's World Cup down under!

Also it must also be stated that it looks like we are bidding for the 2027 Netball World Cup and 2027 Rugby World Cup on top of the 2022 FIBA Women's World Cup that we have also secured.

I think including New Zealand into the bid was a major selling point to be able to take a senior world cup to Oceania.

What do we think of decision for Perth to host the matches at HBF Park instead of Optus Stadium? Same thing with Adelaide's Coopers Stadium over the Adelaide Oval and AAMI Park over the MCG! I reckon these can still change but quite bizarre if you ask me!

ANZ Stadium, Sydney
Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
AAMI Park, Melbourne
McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle
HBF Park, Perth
York Park, Launceston
Coopers Stadium, Adelaide

Eden Park, Auckland
SKY Stadium, Wellington
Dunedin Stadium, Dunedin
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Christchurch Stadium, Christchurch

Grounds not used in the 2023 Women's Bid that were used in the 2022 Men's World Cup Bid
Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
Optus Stadium, Perth
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Willow Sports Complex, Townsville (now would be QCB Stadium)
GIO Stadium, Canberra
Blacktown Stadium, Sydney (proposed venue)
Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong

A-League/W-League Venues not used in the 2023 Women's World Cup Bid (from 2019-20 A-League/W-League Seasons)
Dolphin Stadium, Redcliffe
Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast
Central Coast Stadium, Gosford
Marvel Stadium, Melbourne
Jubilee Oval, Sydney
Leichhardt Oval, Sydney
Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong
Mars Stadium, Ballarat
VU Whitten Oval, Melbourne
Marvel Stadium, Melbourne
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
GIANTS Stadium, Sydney

What will be interesting will be which FTA broadcaster gets the rights. Something tells me that SBS won't win the rights and it would go to a major FTA network.

I think it was clever to have the rectangular stadiums host games (except for the final and except for York Park) because they are proper football stadiums.

Additionally, although the dates aren't confirmed yet, I believe it will be hosted in winter, so stadiums like Optus and the MCG would be unavailable due to the AFL.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I think it was clever to have the rectangular stadiums host games (except for the final and except for York Park) because they are proper football stadiums.

Additionally, although the dates aren't confirmed yet, I believe it will be hosted in winter, so stadiums like Optus and the MCG would be unavailable due to the AFL.
There will be a big problem with the NRL and the new trans tasman Super Rugby comp then too

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
The stadiums would be exclusively for the tournament during the month it's on. FIFA wouldn't suffer fools like the NRL and whatever rugby union will be on.

A fantastic week or so for the FFA. JJ is delivering.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What do we think of decision for Perth to host the matches at HBF Park instead of Optus Stadium? Same thing with Adelaide's Coopers Stadium over the Adelaide Oval and AAMI Park over the MCG! I reckon these can still change but quite bizarre if you ask me!
If you look at the 2019 WWC, the average attendance was 21k, and more like 12-15k when you don't include home team games or the last 8 games.

Combine that with the fact that games look and sound better if they are played in rectangular stadiums and its a no-brainer to not play games in oval stadiums holding 50k+.

The bigger question for me is what the surfaces of the rectangular stadiums will be like, especially if the tournament is in our winter, when Rugby/RL might be using those grounds before the tourney

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
If this was the case then why wasn't NQ Stadium, Western Melbourne Stadium, and Bankwest considered then?

At least the MCG for the Final though!

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
If this was the case then why wasn't NQ Stadium, Western Melbourne Stadium, and Bankwest considered then?

At least the MCG for the Final though!
At a guess:
NQ Stadium - in a smaller, more isolated town. Launceston may be smaller, but Hobart is close and its easy to get to Melbourne
Western Melbourne Stadium - doesn't exist
Bankwest Stadium - there are already 2 rectangular stadiums in Sydney on the list. Presumably they needed to leave one for NRL

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Not to mention the patronising designation of the women's World Cup as a "development tournament". You know how you develop a game? You put the highest competition in the biggest market and where you are confident it is going to be run properly AND you invest in grassroots. Is Uefa doing that? Are they sh*t.
only caught a little bit of the press conference afterwards by the FIFA president. But he mentioned that it was not a development tournament but a proper tournament. Shot fired by the FIFA pres in his war with UEFA.

not sure what UEFA was thinking TBH. If they want a 2030 world cup, then there biggest competition is the South America bid. You would think going with the best bid here is the safe political ploy. But I think they tried to fight the FIFA president in war and have lost badly! Massive own goal that they disregarded the technical bid for "growth". South America was not going to beat them in the technical aspect in 2030 so why play that game. you are discounting your own bids in a couple of years time. It also put offside Oceania and would not improved things with the AFC, who seem like they already work closer to South America. (see us in the Copa)

petty by UEFA, and bad. When you lose in a vote like this, it is never good.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
At a guess:
NQ Stadium - in a smaller, more isolated town. Launceston may be smaller, but Hobart is close and its easy to get to Melbourne
Western Melbourne Stadium - doesn't exist
Bankwest Stadium - there are already 2 rectangular stadiums in Sydney on the list. Presumably they needed to leave one for NRL
NRL wanted them basically. Canberra was part of the bid but you cant have a match 2 months before the tournament, to allow the pitch to be perfect. So the ACT withdrew, Well, that is what it was for the mens. So they have worked with the NRL/Super Rugby. For example, Broncos can go to the Gold coast, Newcastle to Gosford. Sydney clubs to western sydney and all the smaller grounds. Storm to Geelong or Marvel. season can still continue at full with creative fixturing, especially for SoO. Good odds that the Melbourne/Perth/Adel will host at least one of those.

FIFA has the final say on stadiums. So it up to the Tas government to make York park fit. Let's just say I hold little hope. But perhaps our closeness to Melbourne is a factor.

Back