The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it was a coincidence that Mitch was playing when Curnow kicked seven against the bulldogs
His paceand smarts forces defenders to follow him allowing more separation for Charlie and McKay

I know this is not your point, and I’m responding to an aspect of your post…but wanted to put my own spin on this To make a separate point.

I get the value of this from one point of view but it really says a lot from another point of view. It is sort of saying McGovern is a decoy to some extent Allowing Charlie to get off the leash. A bit like Casbault In 21. Why decoy….because both McGovern and Casbault for quite a while haven’t offered 4 quarters of quality football.

Extending that a bit, it means we are using struggling players as a decoy because they don’t offer enough in their own right. We wouldn’t go to the draft and select a decoy so we know all this decoy stuff is option B for a struggling player or team.

Other teams use decoys but just not week in week out like we did with Casbault. Don’t think we actually did this with McGovern but he just doesn’t really fire for long enough.

Ive seen the Voss position on McGovern trying out in defence this year. I’m hoping it is not as key defender because they will drag him to square one out and outbody and outstretched him (dumb). If it’s third tall which I think it right but has not been said publicly then it’s between him, Plowman, marchy and Kemp. I’m praying for Marchbank and Kemp there.

I think we will see McGovern give it everything this year based on contract position (Gibbs backended contract play). Not sure he will work out in defence despite his efforts there. Attributes are one thing And those attributes really fit a third tall forward over a third tall back and he can’t win that slot versus Silvagni.

Sounds extremely negative but I will change my mind on McGovern when he earns trust via hard work and commitment. He hasn’t showed it anywhere so far.

Hi All, great post and good opinions on McG ( Just to let you know I'm a fan of McG - I believe we need him to progress)

Taken two days to read all posts (work got in the way)
Some of you have mentioned this..... if he's holds up and match fit
IF we have a fully fit side then then is only one position for McG - BENCH
Positive
*you will get the best 5 mins from him (maybe 10mins)
*he can play back or forward
*with rotations in the game, he could be an X-Factor
*could be the best 6 man in the comp (lol, well best 19th man)
Negatives
*you will get the 5 mins from him (maybe 10mins)
*hoping that he's on fire for that 5 mins

I have done my starting 22 for 22 - round one - fully fit side - he was on the bench.

He needs to learn how to defend before he plays down back - one game doesn't make him a defender
but for a 5 mins bust - it might help or let someone get a need break.

Jack is in front - I know what I'll get with jack - McG I'm still waiting for something - I need more than a bit here and there.
I would love it if he could prove me wrong!

Back