Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll never forget him on 6pr after Hogan played and Snoz and Mills were grilling him to just say he was wrong. Deflected, avoided answering and shifted blame as much as possible. Anything and everything to avoid owning up to it.

One very average human being
yeah some of those comments he made were that of a genuinely detestable person, simply a disgrace (even before you consider the dickhead cried on air about Rioli being stupid enough to tamper with his urine sample)
You listen to him?

Gross.

No wonder they made you a mod. Horrible decision making.
the only thing worse would be if he's a regular SEN listener

This from Robbo in the Herald

7. GREEN ACRES AT THE DOCKERS
Blake Acres looked like the walking dead towards the end of his final season at St Kilda but has a new lease on life at Fremantle. The rangy wingman has averaged 86 ranking points in 2020, which is his second-highest average in a season. He looks to have found his niche on the wing and his past two matches have returned 27 and 24 disposals, his tally at the weekend the equal of David Mundy and Nathan Fyfe. He’s only played five game, but in those games he has produced career-high tackle numbers, pressure ratings and kicking efficiency. The soon-to-be 25 year-old might be ready elevate was has been a so-so career thus far.

Mark Duffield: Jesse Hogan neither on the market, nor off the table as intriguing trade discussions loom

Jesse Hogan has been in the headlines regularly since joining Fremantle — mostly for the wrong reasons. He was there for the right reasons on Saturday.

And he may yet make a few for different reasons before the year is out.

Hogan looms as one of the more intriguing list management propositions this off-season. He is neither on the market, nor off the table in trade discussions.

Fremantle are working on the assumption that he will be with them, but they are stopping short of guaranteeing he will be there.

There were mid-year frustrations from both player and club when Hogan couldn’t find a place in the team and the club couldn’t say that their high-priced recruit had commanded selection.

The Dockers have him and there is a contract that keeps him there for another 12 months, at least if they want him.

His form on the weekend suggests they will. Other events in the past two years cast doubt on that.

And while it is understood that while no club is yet talking to Fremantle about him, a couple are talking about him among themselves. He is a watch this space player.

It was great to see Hogan remind us of the scoring threat he can be at the weekend. As we have said before — in that mood, he changes Fremantle’s possibilities entirely.

The Dockers have the fourth ranked defence this year, which has earned them respect even early in the season when they weren’t winning regularly and then kudos late in the season when they have won more often.

But they have the 16th ranked attack. Both their defence and attack ratings are skewed a little by a stretch of wet-weather games, but most observers would say they have been elite defensively and ordinary in attack for much of the year.

The Dockers scored 99 points against North Melbourne on Saturday in a match format shortened by 20 per cent this year.

It was their best effort in attack since they belted both North at Optus Stadium in round one of last year in a longer match when their forwards kicked 14 of their 21 goals — Cam McCarthy kicking five, Michael Walters three, Rory Lobb and Lachie Schultz two each and Hayden Ballantyne and Matt Taberner singles.

In round five against Greater Wester Sydney in Canberra last year — another red-letter day for the Fremantle attack, Brandon Matera kicked four, Hogan, Walters and Taberner three each and Lobb and Sam Switkowski singles — 15 of 16 goals the Dockers kicked.

That extra tall threat makes a big difference.

Those sort of days have been few and far between for the Dockers attack and the conundrum is whether what we saw on Saturday is a sign of things to come or whether it was an aberration.

And the reality is it could be either.

On the one hand the Dockers forwards played smart on Saturday — they spread themselves out and gave each other one on ones.

They did not converge on each other’s space too often as they had two games ago against Richmond.

The caveat on the performance was the opposition.

North have had enough and have been little more than witches hats at times in the back half of this season

Hogan has been useful in his six games this year but he has done most of his better work up the ground — as a lead-up and release player.

It was the way he was used in rounds three, four and five against Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and Adelaide.

It was also the way he played against Richmond in round 15 and Melbourne in round 16 after he fought his way back into the team.

On Saturday he was deep again and he, Taberner and Lobb all stayed away from each other.

Walters moved around which allowed the Dockers to use both his talent around goals and his ball use going inside 50.

Hogan had just six possessions for four goals. He was deep and dangerous and others were dangerous around him.

Lobb and Taberner got great one-on-one looks and Walters kicked and created goals.

This was how well the Dockers forward line could play. The next question is how often can they play that well?

I’m angry again. OTC showing footage of the blatant push in the back by Casboult against Darcy that lead to a goal. ******* cheating Carlton campaigners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m angry again. OTC showing footage of the blatant push in the back by Casboult against Darcy that lead to a goal. ******* cheating Carlton campaigners.

lol they should have done a companion piece with Darling vs English in the dying stages of that game. Both called in the back

The softest free kick I’ve ever seen was awarded to Lobb near the goal square - an absolute gift. Terrible free kick and another soft one to Tabs. You could see why the umpire paid the Tabs one as it looked worse than it was but definitely no free kick. Both ended up goals.

There was a really soft one against Lobb for the big O McDonald in the Freo Brisbane game that led to a critical goal added to Tabs non Mark.

Both those two games will go down as what ifs but s*#t happens and so be it.

Both those games the umpires weren’t great.

The softest free kick I’ve ever seen was awarded to Lobb near the goal square
The softest free-kick you've ever seen? Are you sure? No place for the down-the-field against Brayshaw? Also if using that rating could we say that Casboult push was the most outrageous missed free we've ever seen?

The softest free-kick you've ever seen? Are you sure? No place for the down-the-field against Brayshaw? Also if using that rating could we say that Casboult push was the most outrageous missed free we've ever seen?

TBF the melsksham throw that was missed on the weekend was worse.

TBF the melsksham throw that was missed on the weekend was worse.

The throws are completely out of control. Handpassing is no longer required so long as you keep the ball moving as fast as possible.

Its not even that they are missed, I'm 100% sure they are told to not penalise throws, its a deliberate effort to keep the game open

The throws are completely out of control. Handpassing is no longer required so long as you keep the ball moving as fast as possible.

Its not even that they are missed, I'm 100% sure they are told to not penalise throws, its a deliberate effort to keep the game open
That was a boundary throw in not a handpass.

The problem is that its crept into the lower levels which negatively influences the game.

I reckon it's a directive from above, to allow the umpires to pretend they didn't see the throw.
Makes the game quicker.
I reckon AFL is becoming more like Rugby Union every week

I should have said one of the softest free kicks I’ve seen. It was right up there - who ever was on Lobb didn’t really even touch him and Lobb did something with his head to accentuate the nothingness.

Also I consider soft free kicks right in front of goal as the worst.

You don’t have to agree but it was a shocker. I love Fremantle but don’t yell at my TV screen anymore because the umpiring is so bad at times. I also think there is a bit of Karma is getting a free like that. But it was so bad I walked away from the game and did some gardening for a while.

I reckon it's a directive from above, to allow the umpires to pretend they didn't see the throw.
Makes the game quicker.
I reckon AFL is becoming more like Rugby Union every week
Speaking of throws - I lost count the number of times Fyfe just threw the ball. Unless he has magically mastered the art of the flick pass.

I blame the WB 2016 team. I would straight up call up every "over the head" handball a throw.

Yeah, the game is umpired to a mandate, kick the ball backwards 20m and it’s not 15 play on but kick the ball forwards 10 and it’s a mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back