The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellington look pretty average. Happy to sit back, but look awful when playing the ball out - we probably should have converted one of those, but 2-0 up at the break, with an early goal to settle the nerves is pretty much what the doctor ordered.

I'd love to get those front third passes humming again. 10 shots on goal but 2 on target... We're creating half chances - let's turn them in to full blooded chances

That last 30 minutes was very long. Not good for those with senior hearts. Not common that the opposition scores 2 goals and loses. Loved it.
Monkey off the back now; the pressure for this win must have been huge. We can just play with joy and freedom...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That last 30 minutes was very long. Not good for those with senior hearts. Not common that the opposition scores 2 goals and loses. Loved it.
Monkey off the back now; the pressure for this win must have been huge. We can just play with joy and freedom...

That was back to the Heart days when no lead looked safe💔.

We've mostly left that behind now 😁

More of these moments please!

Time to reflect in the season, before we hit finals (which any team could win). I'll start with the first phases.

Preseason expectations.

Adding Leckie to the mix up front to replace Noone. Still a question of how to use Leckie in the forward 3, and how to integrate Tilio and Cola after their awesome end to last season.

Atkinson, O'Neil, Berenguer, Metcalf leave us with various options for the midfield combinations.

New contracts for J Mac, Nabbout and Tilio, all commiting till the end of 23/24 season with Good and Reis setting up a core of a team that should be at the pointy end the next few years.

It was City by how far.....

Early season struggles Nov - Jan

2 underwhelming FFA cup wins over South Melb and Hume City early on.

First up win over Roar, leading 2-0 and playing them off the park, and should have been more, a goal with 20 mins to play turns the game (this will become a common theme), we hold on for a 2-1 result.

2-2 against Adelaide after leading 2-0 after 60 mins. 2 late goals with the 2nd in the 90th min after a dumpster fire of a pass between Jos and Glover.

First loss to WU 0-1. Battered them with chances - but couldn't find the net (more of this over the year ahead). WU on an amazing run of wins ( plenty of 1-0), leading the league.

1-0 win over Perth.

Takes us to the Christmas derby. 2 second half goals look to have normal service resumed, but a D'agastino goal with 10 to go leave us sharing the points in a game we probably should have won. Victory aren't the wooden spooner's from last season....

We break for Xmas, have a Covid outbreak, games cancelled and pushed back in to Feb/March.

We get going again a few weeks later with a FFA Cup 1/4 loss on pens to an undermanned Wellington, after we miss a penalty in the first half.

3-3 against WSW, after trailing 2 goals in 9 minutes. 2-2 away to Adelaide, again leading 2-1 with minutes to play and a red card to Reis, and late goal, we hang on for a point.

3-1 win over a poor CCM including a goal for Carl Jenkinson a new loan signing at RB.

Another 1-0 loss to WU, but this time we had a depleted squad after losing our front 3 plus Tilio to the socceroos squad.

End of January 3 Wins, 4 Draws 2 Losses 13 points from 9 games. We're in the 6, but falling behind WU, not quite panic stations but a real concern that the season is slipping away.

0 goals from Matt Leckie - WTF is this signing going to workout?

Huge fixture pile up ahead, due to the Covid postponements and an ACL adventure in April. How will the squad manage games every 3-4 days over the next 2 months.

Up next The rise of City and Berenguer (Feb-March)

Last edited:

Spot on article about what's next....
Unlike AFL, A-League teams don't need a build up to achieve GF success, and MV remains the team to beat. A dramatic turnaround in team list and fortunes in one season.
We would have to hope and assume that we get to beat Adelaide for that opportunity, and Victory to beat WU, according to my understanding, if all goes according to seedings etc. (Please correct me if needed)
As has been noted already, we are yet to beat any of Adelaide, WU or MV, so the MC favouritism tag coming into finals is unjustified imho.
Some of our fans here don't rate the finals, and are happy with the Plate we won last night- it certainly looks better than the toilet seat!!
I would love it if we were GF winners- that is the ultimate in this country.

Unlike AFL, A-League teams don't need a build up to achieve GF success, and MV remains the team to beat. A dramatic turnaround in team list and fortunes in one season.
We would have to hope and assume that we get to beat Adelaide for that opportunity, and Victory to beat WU, according to my understanding, if all goes according to seedings etc. (Please correct me if needed)
As has been noted already, we are yet to beat any of Adelaide, WU or MV, so the MC favouritism tag coming into finals is unjustified imho.
Some of our fans here don't rate the finals, and are happy with the Plate we won last night- it certainly looks better than the toilet seat!!
We play the lowest ranked team in the Semi.

Wellington if the beat WU, or the winner of Adelaide/CCM if WU beat Wellington.

To be fair there isn't an easy proposition in any of the match ups.

The semi finals are 2 legs (no away goals)

Brillante is brilliant.
Would love him back at City.
Top 4 next year for both Melbourne teams, I suspect. Western not far away either.
Wonder if we should change our name. Melbourne City based at Cranbourne is weird.
That was posted in July.
All Melbourne teams top 3- wonder if that will happen too often

Last edited:

I rate them almost evenly, with the top of the league slightly more important simply because it rewards the whole season not just a two week period of form.

For me I felt our season deserved at least 1 trophy. I personally don't hold out huge hopes of winning the finals. I saw last night as our best chance of getting a trophy.

I feel like getting the premiers trophy takes the pressure off us slightly. Also the week off could be a god send as we have clearly struggled to finish matches (half because of our game load in the last 2 months and half because PK is allergic to substitutes).

Do I think we could do it? Sure thing anything can happen in finals. A single red card or penalty can decide the whole thing.

I personally think victory are the in form team and deserve the title of favourites. But having that 1 trophy takes the pressure off big time. We can just try our best and whatever happens happens.

That 5 days off between the Perth game and last night must've felt like heaven for the players, what are they going to do with a whole 9 days off?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I rate them almost evenly, with the top of the league slightly more important simply because it rewards the whole season not just a two week period of form.

For me I felt our season deserved at least 1 trophy. I personally don't hold out huge hopes of winning the finals. I saw last night as our best chance of getting a trophy.

I feel like getting the premiers trophy takes the pressure off us slightly. Also the week off could be a god send as we have clearly struggled to finish matches (half because of our game load in the last 2 months and half because PK is allergic to substitutes).

Do I think we could do it? Sure thing anything can happen in finals. A single red card or penalty can decide the whole thing.

I personally think victory are the in form team and deserve the title of favourites. But having that 1 trophy takes the pressure off big time. We can just try our best and whatever happens happens.
Perfect analysis imho. Agree with all of that. There were many circumstantial things with our draws and some losses, as there always are. I feel we have the team to beat WU based on that, but Victory look very ready for anything we can offer, and as you say, an injury or red card can be crucial, eg Luke Brattan last year GF.

Last edited:
We get a week off... Desperately needed after the last 3 months if nonstop games and ttravel. But we'll be on the road midweek for the first leg away.
Feeling like Pauline Hanson-- explain please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back