Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn, the big rocking jam up in heaven has gotten another player, Neil Peart left on Tues of brain cancer. RIP

Rush was a huge part of my early music appreciation starting in high school. I was totally into early Rush, most of the first songs I learned on guitar were from their first 5 albums, particularly 2112. Recently I have been listening to their last 4~5 albums. No real hits but consistent musicianship and intelligent lyrics. Peart had some real tragedy in his life, but it was also pretty epic as well with his 2-wheeled journeys. I was actually in China about the same time as he was in the summer of 1985.
Some early Rush

and more recent

Hi. New to this thread, promise I won't hassle you all. Just one song haha.
Someone just showed me this band today. Only thing I've seen with any actual soul for a very very long time. Actual punk for real.

Hi. New to this thread, promise I won't hassle you all. Just one song haha.
Someone just showed me this band today. Only thing I've seen with any actual soul for a very very long time. Actual punk for real.

Mildly amusing skit, could probably have done with a bit of editing and cutting down to, say, 30-40 seconds.

sometimes you need to go back and see how good the young Stones were. Brian Jones underrated for his influence before the J/R songs took over. This vid is so funny for Charlie almost missing his cue lol

Love the rollicking sound on this one, sound like quite a jam in the studio. Ian Stewart's piano was a big part too of those earliest albums. There are videos of the song that have different mixes or solos than the original album cut.

sometimes you need to go back and see how good the young Stones were. Brian Jones underrated for his influence before the J/R songs took over. This vid is so funny for Charlie almost missing his cue lol

Love the rollicking sound on this one, sound like quite a jam in the studio. Ian Stewart's piano was a big part too of those earliest albums. There are videos of the song that have different mixes or solos than the original album cut.

Blues sound, thanks for sharing.

This is what came to mind when I watched that Stones clip.

I recently got back from a short vacation back to the homeland. Driving the rental from the airport sent me right back to when I last lived there 30+ years ago. First song after figuring out how the radio worked was effing Kashmir. (it went on to having Led Zep on various stations, eateries, and pubs several times a day lol) There is so much classic rock being played around Seattle it isn't funny. Much of it was from every New Years Eve countdown I ever heard as a teenager and young adult. I was hard pressed to find any newer rock and roll on the radio. I did find one station from Victoria BC in Canada when I was up near the border but it was just so weird being around the old stomping grounds hearing the exact same stuff I was hearing so many decades ago.
Some highlights that I actually remembered that were actually refreshing to hear again. So many I did like but couldn't actually remember the names.

I also went to Paul Allen's Rock n ROll museum. Some interesting stuff, but I was hoping for much more. Nice collections of stuff for hometown bands Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Both now considered classic rock LOL

Incredibly delighted op-shop find this week (mint copy, $2) of one of the greatest LPs ever to be released - Explosive Hits '74.

R-1333529-1292835155.jpeg.jpg

This could well be the first record I ever put on a turntable and dare I say - as a 4-5 year old, what taste. There's always some filler on these comps, but geez does this one lean on the thump, pop and grind - Cozy Powell, ZZ Top, Grand Funk, Suzi - the flat out masterwork that is Hot Chocolate's Emma.

Even the local stuff is pretty strong - Billy Thorpe, The La-De-Da's, Stevie Wright, Ross Ryan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a song by chance a few weeks ago that I'd heard years ago. Not frequently played, but possibly my #1 of all time single.
Heard it again when we had some renos at home- nobody could name it. All liked it.
Finally, looking up some final scenes on YouTube of a series The Affair, a brilliant series, and bingo, this song pops up.

Another eerily brilliant song

It was amazing to hear and see her perform it live.

There's a great story guitarist David Rhodes tells...the top-shelf band she put together had been in rehearsals, going through one song a day...for 4-6 weeks. But Kate didn't sing a note - she was too busy with the staging and lighting designers. This continued on and he began to worry - Kate was in her mid 50s and hadn't played a live show for 35 years. Here they were, a month or so out from 25 sold-out live gigs - and the band haven't heard a vocal. Maybe this wasn't going to happen after all...

They then got around to rehearsing Running Up That Hill. Started playing it, then over the radio mic Kate, up in the stalls with a lighting technician yelled out they were doing it wrong. They stopped, started...same thing. She jumps on stage, stands behind a piano and bangs out the correct rhythm needed. Rhodes sheepishly asks her 'Did you want to, you know, maybe sing? Might help, you know...'

"Oh...do you think so? Do you want me to sing? Yeah OK...sure" Kate replies.

Band starts...Kate starts singing...Rhodes looks around to the other band members who, like him, are pretty much all in shock - not only is she note and pitch perfect, but the emotional force of her voice was bringing them to tears. He suddenly realised 1. the gigs 'were on' and 2. As great as the musicians were on stage, Kate was in another, rarefied, world.

Sadly, still no film footage really exists of the shows, but this was screened on stage to start the 'The Ninth Wave' cycle - her vocal recorded live in the deep-water tank...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back