Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Hi all

Just a bit of fun with no footy. Like this post and I'll PM you a number, and you have to do two things:

1. Post a pic of a Freo player (AFLW or AFL), past or present who wears/wore that number.
2. Post a pic of your favourite player from an oppo team who wears/wore that number.

You might get the sane number as someone else - post different players or the same, up to you.

I'm giving myself #27.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 2.56.05 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 3.31.48 pm.png

Current oppo player who wore 27 (sneaky).

Last edited:

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
i got #4..

Only 1 choice as far as Freo players go..

View attachment 850148

Opposition

a surprisingly star studded jumper number.. Gone with Greene as i love the way he plays gets under the skin like Ballas used to.
Honourable mentions to Grundy and the Bont

View attachment 850150
Yep - Hase would have been the only one for me too. But I would've gone with Bont, but Greene is a solid choice too. The little s**t that everyone loves to hate. :cool:

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Got number 15
Favourite Freo Player:
This came down to 3 candidates for me, with K.Antonio and Ryan Crowley both well known for wearing the 15 at their time at Freo, but instead I’m going for someone who wore the 15 for 11 games in 2002 before changing to number 18 in Luke McPharlin
images

favourite opponent player:
images

He’s played a single game in the number 15, but Ed Langdon happens to wear that at Melbourne so I’ll go with him

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I got #7 - for Peake-related reasons.

Who wore 7 at Freo?

Brian's son, Brett.
Ben "The Pisser" Allan
Heath "None So" Black
Some bloke called Nathan Fyfe

and

THE WIZARD.

Sure, you know him as 33, but for a moment or two, he wore 7 and he's the best footballer in history. So we can't go past him.

As for people who wore it elsewhere?

Who gives a s**t. Watch this instead:

Stephen Koops was a minor deity

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I got number 34 and there's been some interesting characters that have donned the 34 Jumper,
Jeff White, Dion Woods, Paul Medhurst, Robert Warnock and currently Brett Bewley, but how can you go past old bandage head himself:

Lee Spurr - Drafted as a mature ager at number 8 in the 2012 Rookie Draft - Lee went on to Play 120 games representing our great club. Many of them ended with him bleeding from the noggin - Lee was personally responsible for keeping Elasoplast afloat during the 2013 /14 bandage crisis - and for this he should be heralded.

Speaking of heralded - he often went where normal mortals fear to tread - usually to his detriment. This photo was taken from arguably Freo's greatest ever game - the 2013 Preliminary Final at Subiaco.

And he did all that despite being delisted halfway through his third match. http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/dont-underestimate-lee-spurrs-achievements/

prelimfinalfreovsyd-92.jpg

In terms of an opposition player, there's not a huge list of players who stand out carrying the 34 on their backs. Adelaide's 300 gamer Ben Hart is one, as is 4 time premiership winner, Hawthorn's John Kennedy Jr. However, I can't go past North Melbourne's David King.

After being selected at number 46 in the 1993 Draft he went on to amass 241 games throughout 11 seasons. He was twice an All-Australian and played in the Roos’ 1996 and 1999 premiership sides.

king.JPG

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I got #7 - for Peake-related reasons.

Who wore 7 at Freo?

Brian's son, Brett.
Ben "The Pisser" Allan
Heath "None So" Black
Some bloke called Nathan Fyfe

and

THE WIZARD.

Sure, you know him as 33, but for a moment or two, he wore 7 and he's the best footballer in history. So we can't go past him.

As for people who wore it elsewhere?

Who gives a s**t. Watch this instead:

Stephen Koops was a minor deity
I remember watching "Pasties" play against us in derbies.
Love your choice of the Wiz.

My number is 19.
alex-forster-c97880b5-5216-4879-89fb-bed1717b508-resize-750.png

Alex Forster. I wanted to show a picture of Gary Dhurrkay, but I thought it might be disrespectful to indigenous culture, now that he has passed on.
Forster was memorable for bringing along a little stable-mate called Lachie someone (a later pick who was a great mate), who eventually led to the recruitment of the 2021 AA CHF, Jesse Hogan. Yes, I'm an optimist.:cool:

Here is another for us, but he played before for our WAFL team,
twa-0100781-South-Fremantle-footballer-Joe-McKay.jpg

Joe McKay was a star CHB for the mighty Bulldogs from 1974 to 1982.

Now, for the oppo player:
268914_gp.jpg

Eddie Betts is wearing 19 at the Blues this year, & I'm sure any true footy fan would have to admit he has brought lots to the game.

Attachments

• 961b616fb0267c7696df79b3f95ad7d6.webp
    103.1 KB · Views: 147

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I remember watching "Pasties" play against us in derbies.
Love your choice of the Wiz.

My number is 19.
View attachment 850577

Alex Forster. I wanted to show a picture of Gary Dhurrkay, but I thought it might be disrespectful to indigenous culture, now that he has passed on.
Forster was memorable for bringing along a little stable-mate called Lachie someone (a later pick who was a great mate), who eventually led to the recruitment of the 2021 AA CHF, Jesse Hogan. Yes, I'm an optimist.:cool:

Here is another for us, but he played before for our WAFL team, View attachment 850586
Joe McKay was a star CHB for the mighty Bulldogs from 1974 to 1982.

Now, for the oppo player:
View attachment 850590
Eddie Betts is wearing 19 at the Blues this year, & I'm sure any true footy fan would have to admit he has brought lots to the game.
Loving Joe McKay :heavycheck:

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
So I got number 3 and well according to a few articles it's been voted the greatest player number on AFL history.

Looking at the who's who at the Dockers who have worn it you can see why...

Krummel, Harding, Metropolis, Schammer, Dawson, B Matera....

It was a tough call between Byron and Zac but there can only be one...

zac-dawson-49f211ca-b41d-4f39-9d91-f5e362ff9b1-resize-750.jpeg

What a picture! :cool:

As far as players from other teams go I could have gone L Matthews, Voss, Judd G Lyon but I reckon this guy is one of favourites right now...
ea6503c38e3cb89db144b5386c52d0d9

Close to the player I'd pick first if Freo could steal any player in the league.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So I got number 3 and well according to a few articles it's been voted the greatest player number on AFL history.

As far as players from other teams go I could have gone L Matthews, Voss, Judd G Lyon but I reckon this guy is one of favourites right now...

Close to the player I'd pick first if Freo could steal any player in the league.

haha - the Golden Fist. I can hear the whole crowd groaning 'why didn't he just mark it?' right as the photo was taken :tearsofjoy:

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
haha - the Golden Fist. I can hear the whole crowd groaning 'why didn't he just mark it?' right as the photo was taken :tearsofjoy:

The look of shock on Mundy's face in the background. Anyone got the video for that moment? I've heard so much about it, and never seen it.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

Damn it! Got my number.. greatest number tbh. Would’ve definitely gone with Dawson too. Underrated, held his own during our best period as a club. Held Tippett, Hawkins, Buddy as his bunnies. McPharlin and him in the GF held Buddy and Roughead to 3 goals all up. Exceptional.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Number 37..
Bit of left field but two underrated great players for the club and AFL:
B65EA7DD-73A9-49BC-9782-FABFE16E114C.jpeg

Michael Johnson. 244 games for the club. Definite Best 22 in the club’s history. Came into the side in 2005, played every game in 2006 including all 3 finals that year, and never looked out of place in AFL. Weird ball hand placement when kicking, but on his day could pinpass a kick perfectly whilst playing medium, tall or even small. Felt he was unlucky not to hit 250, as he missed a fair chunk in 2009 and his last year in 2018. Great player and definite CHB. Never should have played forward. Mark Harvey and his role changes...

In AFL, history or today:

Without a doubt, Adam Goodes. Absolutely sensational player and maximising every form of his talent and body to play 372 games, kicking 464 goals. 1999 Rising Star Award, earning 4 x All Australian, with two Brownlow Medals, two great premierships in 05 and 2012 and playing in two more GFs in 06 and 2014.

1A5DBF86-76FA-4CCC-873C-7E5D35CFD243.jpeg

Was used as a Ruck, Forward, Midfielder. Everywhere player. And dominated all positions- in his ruck position was brilliant, and changed how that role could be played. Matthew Pavlich rivalled him, just didn’t have all the team rewards as Goodes, sadly.

Goodes is a definite AFL immoral, top 10 if not top 5 of all time AFL greats. Transformed the game and of course the community. Very saddening and upsetting the way he left AFL and him seeing his love for the game diminish.
Australian Of the Year was a huge accolade and highlight, but the comments made of him and his charity work after he was honoured is a shame.
Great leader, brilliant player and underrated champion.
DFC0F665-D14F-430B-AC09-79F238AA5EA0.jpeg

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Ok, as usual I’ve come late to the party.

I’m bringing you the number 36.

Great Freo players to wear this number are :-

Q. Leach - mmmm talented, but seemed to be wandering around some days.

A. Prescott - hard worker, never gave up.

A. Browne - showed a bit but fizzled out.

A. Silvagni - always gave his best.

B. Cox - got the talent, but has Leach like days.

Well due to my love for players who thrive at the coal face, it can only be Ashley Prescott.

As for the opposition, can only be Brian Lake.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ok, as usual I’ve come late to the party.

I’m bringing you the number 36.

Great Freo players to wear this number are :-

Q. Leach - mmmm talented, but seemed to be wandering around some days.

A. Prescott - hard worker, never gave up.

A. Browne - showed a bit but fizzled out.

A. Silvagni - always gave his best.

B. Cox - got the talent, but has Leach like days.

Well due to my love for players who thrive at the coal face, it can only be Ashley Prescott.

As for the opposition, can only be Brian Lake.
Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Back