The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just watched the Fyre Festival doco on Netflix. Amazing how big of a shitshow it turned out to be.
Loved the recordings of the actual calls towards the end which show just how much of a prick the owner is letting them know there will be no payroll this week or going forward

Is Triple J these days just basically indie pop bands, new age hip-hop and alternative dance music? I listened to it for the first time in a long time the other day and struggled to get through an hour of it. At one stage I had to check that I was actually listening to Triple J because I was convinced I was listening to Nova.

Is Triple J these days just basically indie pop bands, new age hip-hop and alternative dance music? I listened to it for the first time in a long time the other day and struggled to get through an hour of it. At one stage I had to check that I was actually listening to Triple J because I was convinced I was listening to Nova.

That's what it's always been. You listen to it back in the mid-00s and it was the same sorts of bands, only difference being we grew up with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a lot more R&B / Hip-Hop on there nowadays compared to 5+ years ago. Probably a sign of what is being produced than an actual shift by the station to play that genre. Not a fan of roughly 3/4 of what they play on Triple J

There's definitely more hip-hop and EDM and less rock on Triple J than there was in the mid-00s. Back then, the likes of The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes, Grinspoon and Eskimo Joe were common but rock bands seem to get very little airplay now. DZ Deathrays seem to be the main one to get coverage. Double J and RRR are better for that type.

That's what it's always been. You listen to it back in the mid-00s and it was the same sorts of bands, only difference being we grew up with them.
That’s a fair statement although those genres have definitely evolved over time, especially hip-hop. For me, the quality is not the same. If you go back to the 90s, hottest 100s were filled with timeless classics and regarded artists. As the years have gone on, the overall quality has diminished. That’s not to say there isn’t any good music around today, but it’s definitely more sporadic.

Just looking at some of the recent hottest 100 lists, 2016 is an abomination. There appears to be a lot of genres that were popular for a short period of time and now they’re basically dead (dubstep, Oz hip-hop, garage, chill wave, etc.). The late 00s was when I think it really hit a wall. The station blew up and its demographic changed.

That’s a fair statement although those genres have definitely evolved over time, especially hip-hop. For me, the quality is not the same. If you go back to the 90s, hottest 100s were filled with timeless classics and regarded artists. As the years have gone on, the overall quality has diminished. That’s not to say there isn’t any good music around today, but it’s definitely more sporadic.

Just looking at some of the recent hottest 100 lists, 2016 is an abomination. There appears to be a lot of genres that were popular for a short period of time and now they’re basically dead (dubstep, Oz hip-hop, garage, chill wave, etc.). The late 00s was when I think it really hit a wall. The station blew up and its demographic changed.

This could lead to a much deeper conversation but I think in a lot of ways art has hit a wall. I'm talking literature, art, music, film, etc. A lot of what can be done, has been done, and there is such desperation these days to be subversive, to shock, to do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, that ironically it ends up all being the same and losing a bit of its soul.

In the past you could separate decades by genres of music, and similarly with what was a successful movie, or a popular genre of book, but these days you get a bit of everything all the time to satiate any particular appetite. It's why, while this is the golden age of television, it also runs the risk of burning everything out. Every property is mined to the inch of its life, and nothing innovative thrives because it's not a recognised IP.

In 20 years I honestly don't know where we'll be when it comes to art forms.

This could lead to a much deeper conversation but I think in a lot of ways art has hit a wall. I'm talking literature, art, music, film, etc. A lot of what can be done, has been done, and there is such desperation these days to be subversive, to shock, to do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, that ironically it ends up all being the same and losing a bit of its soul.

In the past you could separate decades by genres of music, and similarly with what was a successful movie, or a popular genre of book, but these days you get a bit of everything all the time to satiate any particular appetite. It's why, while this is the golden age of television, it also runs the risk of burning everything out. Every property is mined to the inch of its life, and nothing innovative thrives because it's not a recognised IP.

Good post. Wholeheartedly agree.

There's definitely more hip-hop and EDM and less rock on Triple J than there was in the mid-00s. Back then, the likes of The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes, Grinspoon and Eskimo Joe were common but rock bands seem to get very little airplay now. DZ Deathrays seem to be the main one to get coverage. Double J and RRR are better for that type.
Annoyed that Double J isn't on normal radio frequency they are replaying the hottest 100 of 1998 this week

Anyone with Optus able to get a Optus Perks code and PM it to me?

Wanting to buy Fleetwood Mac tickets in the Optus presale

Did lol :D

It goes back a bit before the mid-00s remember.

This post makes up for the previous one

Annoyed that Double J isn't on normal radio frequency they are replaying the hottest 100 of 1998 this week

This. Best part of the hottest 100 these days is avoiding it, and listening to the 20 year old list the day after, although that time will run out...

They do have a DTV frequency though don’t they?

The fact that Xtreme likes her is enough grounds for me to want her to lose every game.
Haha. Hope she retires because of this.
Dont know who that is but shes a good as you'll ever see in our life times.
A known dimwit who hates all things Australia, has been known to turn up to work in full Hawthorn kit, pays for stuff at self serve checkouts in lots of silver coinage, and has watched the last 4 grand finals hundreds of times, or so he says.

Not far off being a certified window licker.

What is “TheBrownDog” under heaps of people’s user names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back