The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need to re-watch the Wire because I just don't get the appeal. Like, it's good, but it's not GOAT for me, so I must be missing something. The school season is awesome though.
Yeah i wouldnt say its a GOAT TV show, but its interesting .

Im watching The Wire atm and I'd be f’ed without subtitles, plus one of my all time favourite movies is Pans Labyrinth which is subtitled.

Great series!

We’d like for every bit of movie dialogue to be audible but the fact is that we won’t get everything perfect to the ears, so the subtitle option helps greatly. Before using the option I can’t tell you the amount of timtes I couldn’t quite make out a line of dialogue in a lot of movies but with the subtitles on all it is is reading the scripted lines.

Yeah i wouldnt say its a GOAT TV show, but its interesting .

I can see how it can be hard to follow. When it was first recommended to me I got an episode in and thought okay, that’s enough. Then a few months later tried to have a longer attention span so I tried to watch it again... fantastic! I loved it! But you know what the kicker is? A couple of years later I decided to give it a re-watch, got two episodes in before turning it off. Then a couple of months later I tried again and this time, I loved every episode of it. It’s definitly a series that you have to concentrate on, have patience and if you like the characters and the dialogue, it is fantastic. Omar Little has been voted one of the best TV characters ever and just one of many wonderful characters throughout the series.

I would recommend “The Shield” if you haven’t watched it yet.

I can see how it can be hard to follow. When it was first recommended to me I got an episode in and thought okay, that’s enough. Then a few months later tried to have a longer attention span so I tried to watch it again... fantastic! I loved it! But you know what the kicker is? A couple of years later I decided to give it a re-watch, got two episodes in before turning it off. Then a couple of months later I tried again and this time, I loved every episode of it. It’s definitly a series that you have to concentrate on, have patience and if you like the characters and the dialogue, it is fantastic. Omar Little has been voted one of the best TV characters ever and just one if many wonderful characters throughout the series.

Maybe I just don't like that style of show, I dunno. I mean, I loved 95% of The Sopranos, and I'd say that's a similar-ish show? (Gangsters/thugs/cops etc.) so who knows.

I can see how it can be hard to follow. When it was first recommended to me I got an episode in and thought okay, that’s enough. Then a few months later tried to have a longer attention span so I tried to watch it again... fantastic! I loved it! But you know what the kicker is? A couple of years later I decided to give it a re-watch, got two episodes in before turning it off. Then a couple of months later I tried again and this time, I loved every episode of it. It’s definitly a series that you have to concentrate on, have patience and if you like the characters and the dialogue, it is fantastic. Omar Little has been voted one of the best TV characters ever and just one of many wonderful characters throughout the series.

The Shield is on my list :thumbsu:

I've sort of stopped watching older shows since I finished Breaking Bad, there's no other cultural classics that leap out at me as needing to be watched, but what's everyone's favourite shows from the last 10-15 years?

I've sort of stopped watching older shows since I finished Breaking Bad, there's no other cultural classics that leap out at me as needing to be watched, but what's everyone's favourite shows from the last 10-15 years?
1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Peep Show
4. GOT
5. Friday night lights
6. Breaking Bad
7. Line of duty
8. Flight of the Conchords
9. Fleabag
10. Rick and Morty

1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Peep Show
4. GOT
5. Friday night lights
6. Breaking Bad
7. Line of duty
9. Fleabag
10. Rick and Morty

Ok watched most of those, will try out 5 and 7.

Maybe I just don't like that style of show, I dunno. I mean, I loved 95% of The Sopranos, and I'd say that's a similar-ish show? (Gangsters/thugs/cops etc.) so who knows.

I’d say The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire are the most similar. The Wire and The Shield are close in similarity. But you’re right, The Sopranos and The Wire have their similarities too.

1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Peep Show
4. GOT
5. Friday night lights
6. Breaking Bad
7. Line of duty
9. Fleabag
10. Rick and Morty

I have seen 1,2,4,5,6 on your list. FNL is amazing and depending on what sort of show I am in the mood for, that could even be my favourite from that list. I always have time for that series and especially the scenes involving Eric and Tami. There is just something so sweet about FNL that will always have me going back for more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man in the high castle is like that. If you don't concentrate there is no point watching.

Ok watched most of those, will try out 5 and 7.
If you like British cop series you'll enjoy LOD. Extremely intelligent plots that always keep you guessing.
I have seen 1,2,4,5,6 on your list. FNL is amazing and depending on what sort of show I am in the mood for, that could even be my favourite from that list. I always have time for that series and especially the scenes involving Eric and Tami. There is just something so sweet about FNL that will always have me going back for more.
FNL was terrific. Only watched it last year so had the joy of binge watching multiple season's in a row. One of those series where you get emotionally attached to the characters and leaves a big hole in your life when it's finished.

Man in the high castle is like that. If you don't concentrate there is no point watching.

I haven’t seen that one. I’ll see what it’s about, it might interest me.

For me, the series that requires 100% attention at all times, so no looking forward at a phone/computer, is Deadwood. The dialogue is so cleverly written that on most occasions you can’t only pay attention to the last 6 words of a 10 word line for example and think you’ve understand what was said. If you do zone out, expect to hit the rewind button quite frequently.

I haven’t seen that one. I’ll see what it’s about, it might interest me.

For me, the series that requires 100% attention at all times, so no looking forward at a phone/computer, is Deadwood. The dialogue is so cleverly written that on most occasions you can’t only pay attention to the last 6 words of a 10 word line for example and think you’ve understand what was said. If you do zone out, expect to hit the rewind button quite frequently.
In short, it is about a world in which the Nazi's win the war and is set in an America part occupied by the Japs and part occupied by the Nazi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back