The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

It does discriminate

COVID-19 deaths by age group and sex | Australian Government Department of Health

Deaths under the age of 50 are almost next to non existent. But yes there was a death reported in the media for a 27 year old. The ting is ny virus can also cause death in a human being and has in unusual circumstances so I wouldn't read too much into a one off death for an under 50.
Delta variant has proven to be much more prevalent in the young from the experience over here iirc.

Life is slowly getting back to normal over here
Opening things up hasn't seemed to have had the negative impact people were fearing.

I wonder if school holidays were a big part of that, a lot of the positive cases were schoolkids and it seems like they're going to rush through vaccines for 16 and 17 year olds before school goes back.

If that’s the case, does that mean the government re-opened too early from our last lockdown?

As soon as you guys announced you were getting out I thought it was too early as you still had cases each day. Felt a little bit like a dumb flex against NSW, but who knows.

As soon as you guys announced you were getting out I thought it was too early as you still had cases each day. Felt a little bit like a dumb flex against NSW, but who knows.
Easing restrictions with lingering cases was definitely uncharacteristic of the Andrews government, especially with the delta variant. So yeah, definitely agree that it felt premature.

I feel like Australia will be in lockdown forever.

We've had a pretty good run over the last year compared to most parts of the world, with the majority of the country spending relatively little time under lockdown type restrictions and living pretty normally. Delta strain is definitely a different ball game though. It's testing our defences and reinforcing the importance of speeding up our vaccine rollout to get back to normal again.

As long as Sydney doesn't have control of their outbreak, despite interstate border controls I think we're going to continue to see spotfires like this pop up around the country over the next month or 2 that will require rapid response if those cities want to avoid what Sydney is currently going through. These spotfires will diminish in frequency (as will their health impacts) as vaccine uptake improves as others have pointed out.

Last edited:
I'm optimistic about how quickly we can ramp up our vaccine rollout now that it appears those supply constraints have been sorted out. Things can change pretty quickly, particularly in a country with an advanced and well coordinated health system. It took 47 days to reach our first million doses of vaccine administered and 8 days for the most recent.

Currently around 30-35% of the Australian population has had at least one dose.
  • The UK was at a similar point in their vaccine rollout in early March. By the end of April (~1.5 months) they had hit 50%, with most of their vulnerable population covered.
  • Canada was at a similar point in their rollout at the start of May. By the end of May (1 month) they had hit 57%, and by the end of June (2 months) they were at 68%.

Opening things up hasn't seemed to have had the negative impact people were fearing.

I wonder if school holidays were a big part of that, a lot of the positive cases were schoolkids and it seems like they're going to rush through vaccines for 16 and 17 year olds before school goes back.
Definitely. I know three people in my life who have tested positive for Covid since the re-opening. All vaccinated and all absolutely fine.
School holidays has certainly resulted in less people needing to self isolate which is good for everyones sanity. My daughter started in nursery last Monday which is great. She was only able to do 2 settling in sessions because the nursery had to close last month due to staff needing to self isolate because they had a positive case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a pretty good run over the last year compared to most parts of the world, with the majority of the country spending relatively little time under lockdown type restrictions and living pretty normally. Delta strain is definitely a different ball game though. It's testing our defences and reinforcing the importance of speeding up our vaccine rollout to get back to normal again.

As long as Sydney doesn't have control of their outbreak, despite interstate border controls I think we're going to continue to see spotfires like this pop up around the country over the next month or 2 that will require rapid response if those cities want to avoid what Sydney is currently going through. These spotfires will diminish in frequency (as will their health impacts) as vaccine uptake improves as others have pointed out.
Forgive me but as I get older I become more cynical. I just have a feeling that even once most of the population are double vaccinated that states will continue to lockdown. I have now been told that the borders won't be opening until 2023. Surely the vaccination program will be done by then and policy makers will realise that this virus doesn't seem to be going away any time soon and we will all have to learn to live with it to an extent.

UK Vaccination uptake is very high but now we have got to the stage where anyone can get it, the 20-30 year olds aren't rushing to get it and the BAME community aren't keen at all. I am wondering whether we will ever get to 70%+ of population double vaccination here and suspect the government is going to offer the vaccine to kids/teenagers to try and get it over the line. I think this will be a problem lots of countries have.

Unreal to think vaccines actually work, despite what all the internet experts are saying.
m8 my great aunt is clearly the bastion of medical knowledge, should be grateful she is sharing it for free on Facebook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back