The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah.

Not sure what I think of the vaccine. If I could get Pfizer I would. Still a little hesitant re: AZ.

Mrs is booked in for Pfizer on Monday.

If she can get Pfizer you should be able to?

My mate woke up at 3am with a bad fever, got up, basically passed out on his bathroom floor chipping two teeth after getting AZ. Went to hospital for observations and then they released him. Still has to watch out for symptoms for the next 6 weeks..

UK Vaccination uptake is very high but now we have got to the stage where anyone can get it, the 20-30 year olds aren't rushing to get it and the BAME community aren't keen at all. I am wondering whether we will ever get to 70%+ of population double vaccination here and suspect the government is going to offer the vaccine to kids/teenagers to try and get it over the line. I think this will be a problem lots of countries have.

It sounds like the UK, US and some European countries are about to introduce privileges for vaccinated people/make life more inconvenient for unvaccinated people (without making vaccination mandatory). I think this is the way to go. I wonder what impact this will have on uptake among those who are hesitant but not hardline.

Forgive me but as I get older I become more cynical. I just have a feeling that even once most of the population are double vaccinated that states will continue to lockdown. I have now been told that the borders won't be opening until 2023. Surely the vaccination program will be done by then and policy makers will realise that this virus doesn't seem to be going away any time soon and we will all have to learn to live with it to an extent.

Australian national cabinet (including the PM and all state/territory Premiers) have signed off on a phased plan for how our COVID response strategy will evolve as vaccine uptake increases.

I’m confident Australian policy makers will continue following the science to deliver the optimal combination of health and economic outcomes, as they have done pretty consistently throughout this pandemic. There’s no debate to be had, going hard and early and knocking down outbreaks as fast as possible is the most sensible response strategy with our current level of vaccine coverage. That will change as our vaccine coverage increases. At some point, yeah there’s absolutely going to be shift in our approach.

Having said that, we know this virus has made a habit of throwing curve balls and changing the game over the last 18 months! Who knows what it will do next.

Re: the borders, I get it because there’s a vested interest, but I think people overseas maybe overestimate the number of f**ks most Australians actually give about overseas travel. Giving that up has kept our death toll low and allowed most people and businesses to run pretty much as normal through most of the pandemic, do you think people in the UK wouldn’t have jumped at that trade off 18 months ago? Having said that, that too will change as our vaccine roll out progresses. At least I hope it will, I have a wedding to get to in the US next year.

It sounds like the UK, US and some European countries are about to introduce privileges for vaccinated people/make life more inconvenient for unvaccinated people (without making vaccination mandatory). I think this is the way to go. I wonder what impact this will have on uptake among those who are hesitant but not hardline.

Australian national cabinet (including the PM and all state/territory Premiers) have signed off on a phased plan for how our COVID response strategy will evolve as vaccine uptake increases.

I’m confident Australian policy makers will continue following the science to deliver the optimal combination of health and economic outcomes, as they have done pretty consistently throughout this pandemic. There’s no debate to be had, going hard and early and knocking down outbreaks as fast as possible is the most sensible response strategy with our current level of vaccine coverage. That will change as our vaccine coverage increases. At some point, yeah there’s absolutely going to be shift in our approach.

Having said that, we know this virus has made a habit of throwing curve balls and changing the game over the last 18 months! Who knows what it will do next.

Re: the borders, I get it because there’s a vested interest, but I think people overseas maybe overestimate the number of f**ks most Australians actually give about overseas travel. Giving that up has kept our death toll low and allowed most people and businesses to run pretty much as normal through most of the pandemic, do you think people in the UK wouldn’t have jumped at that trade off 18 months ago? Having said that, that too will change as our vaccine roll out progresses. At least I hope it will, I have a wedding to get to in the US next year.

Had a Town Hall call with the CEO of my new job who spoke quite a bit about the need for the population to be vaccinated. Stopped short of suggesting he would look at making it mandatory in our organisation, but suspect that is the vibe. Particularly in the retail sector, the risk of not being able to open our stores because staff are unvaccinated is hugely costly.

Nah she can get cos she is Aboriginal (like 6th generation lol), I don't believe I am eligible.

Would have thought if she's eligible for it you would be as a household contact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have thought if she's eligible for it you would be as a household contact.
Yeah I got the double dose of Pfizer coz my wife's a nurse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back