Sport The Official Essendon Tennis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To be brutally honest, Ernest Gulbis is a bit of a fake seed.

Has only ever made it past the second round of a Grand Slam twice from 31 starts. And having only ever made it deep (4th round or better) in masters/tour finals events 6 times in 43 attempts, its easy to see why a young star riding the wave of excitement was too much for the man from Latvia.

Best thing about the win though is that we're guaranteed an Aussie in the 3rd round :thumbsu:, and if Tomic beats Kohlschreiber, a guaranteed Aussie in the 4th round. And the winner of that plays... Berdych. In all likelihood.

Also good to see our Davis Cup pairing in the doubles (Hewitt and Guccione) entering the Aus Open as a pairing, as well as the special K's pairing up for the doubles.

One doubles pairing that will definitely be entertaining is Matosevic and Baghdatis together... I want to see whenever they play.

The most disappointing aspect so far is the continued abscence of gifted youngster Ashley Barty.
Taken time off for education purposes to make sure she doesn't rely on tennis. I love that attitude.

Does this reconfirm Nick Kyrgios' standing as the new prince of Australian Mens tennis?

Certainly taken some burden off Bernard Tomic and allow him to play with some freedom
This will most likely be lleytons last Australian tournament so from next year I'd say the attention will be mainly split three ways over Tomic, Kyrgios and kokkinakis. Of course with some attention to groth, duckworth, etc.

The exciting thing is that we should nearly be seeing a player of their quality emerge each year. Australia is once again going to be the next dominant force in men's tennis. Whether that translates into them winning majors is another question.

This will most likely be lleytons last Australian tournament so from next year I'd say the attention will be mainly split three ways over Tomic, Kyrgios and kokkinakis. Of course with some attention to groth, duckworth, etc.

The exciting thing is that we should nearly be seeing a player of their quality emerge each year. Australia is once again going to be the next dominant force in men's tennis. Whether that translates into them winning majors is another question.

Been very disappointing to not see an Aussie man between that Hewitt era (mid 30's) to the new breed starting at Matt Ebden/Sam Groth (27ish).

Had such high hopes for young Todd Reid but flew off the radar.

Need to nurture the Australian boys that are coming through the ranks, rather than feeding them to the wolves as we have so often done in the public and media. Australia has a rich history of talented junior boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been very disappointing to not see an Aussie man between that Hewitt era (mid 30's) to the new breed starting at Matt Ebden/Sam Groth (27ish).

Had such high hopes for young Todd Reid but flew off the radar.

Need to nurture the Australian boys that are coming through the ranks, rather than feeding them to the wolves as we have so often done in the public and media. Australia has a rich history of talented junior boys.
Hopefully if the boys we have rising now have success then it will shelter the next generation from being lauded as the next big hope before they are ready.

Tomic was talked up as the next big star from about the age of 13. I'd rather the media doesn't talk about the kids until they at least start playing challengers

Does this reconfirm Nick Kyrgios' standing as the new prince of Australian Mens tennis?

Certainly taken some burden off Bernard Tomic and allow him to play with some freedom
If that didn't, tonight certainly did. Amazing win.

"Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend" to Stan Wawrinka.

Not the most creative sledge.

Definitely not in the same league as:

Waugh: "I remember you from a couple of years ago. You were s**t then and you're f*cken useless now!". To which Parore replied: "Yeah that's me. And I remember you were dating that old, ugly ****. I see you've married her now. You dumb c*nt".

The others are rippers too. My favourite is no. 18

My favourite Mark Waugh sledge was this:

Junior: "Come on mate, surely you're not good enough to play for England"
Pom (can't recall his name): "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back