Sport The Official Essendon Tennis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went a bit early there, Eth. ;)
Yeah, in my defence the other guy had just broken and was 30-0 up to put him to 5-3 when I said it.

Anyone else on the Istomin train? Purely because Jon Ralph basically said he had no chance of progressing past the 3rd round.
Or some other News Ltd journo. Anyway, if Nadal wins the AO, would he be greater than Fed?

Nadal: 15 majors, every major twice, Olympic singles and doubles gold, 4x Davis Cups
Federer: 17 majors, every major bar French twice or more, Olympic singles silver and doubles gold, 1x Davis Cup

If Rafa does win the tournament he becomes the first player since Emerson to win every major twice

Rafa Nadal becomes the first man to win a single Major 10 or more times. The next closest are Sampras and Federer with 7 at Wimbledon. Margaret Court the only one to do so on the Women's side of things.

He's now 2nd in the world, and quickly closing in on Murray for 1st. Being only 3 majors short of Federer, when do we ask the question about whether Rafa has had a better career?

Gee Federer is some sort of player. An absolute glorious player to sit back and applaud the genius at work.

Doing an absolute number on Marin Cilic in the final the point that you almost feel sorry for Marin who is close to breaking down in tears having thrown everything at the GOAT and still getting slaughtered.

Gee Federer is some sort of player. An absolute glorious player to sit back and applaud the genius at work.

Doing an absolute number on Marin Cilic in the final the point that you almost feel sorry for Marin who is close to breaking down in tears having thrown everything at the GOAT and still getting slaughtered.

Cilic was battling injury so was robbed of giving his absolute best.

Though in the form Rog is in im not sure the result would be different.

One of my favourite sports stars across all sports, shows how a champion should conduct themselves.

Davis Cup semi-finals this weekend. We're facing Belgium on clay, which is a big disadvantage to us. Thankfully only Goffin has a better record at the French to any of our players so we can hope that Kyrgios and Thompson can beat the Darcis.

It'll be interesting to see who Peers' doubles partner is. I'm tipping Kokkinakis but I would prefer Kyrgios, just to get that extra power on clay.

Oh and if we win we play France. I mean, they haven't beaten Serbia yet but France have two top 30 players as their singles players. Serbia's highest ranked player is 80

Quiet little shout out to Jordan Thompson who has moved up to 72 in the world. Now officially our #2 Aussie mens player.

Our current top 6 aussie men in the world right now (world ranking in brackets).

1. Nick Kyrigios (21)
2. Jordan Thompson (72)
3. Matthew Ebden (119)
4. Bernard Tomic (144)
5. Akira Santilan (163)
6. Sam Groth (166)

God we are in some sort of trouble with that list.

Still hold out some hope for the young guys to come good. No one looks like a world beater. Thinassi (213) has broken down with injuries, Duckworth (210) never puts it together consistently, Luke Saville (354) fell off the face of the ATP tour.

Compare that to our current womans and it's not AS bleak as the mens. I mean, its good, but still not glorious reading.

1. Daria Gavrilova (22)
2. Ash Barty (23)
3. Sam Stosur (43)
4. Arina Rodionova (122)
5. Lizette Cabrerra (155)

Get a feeling we are going to go through another decade of no real dominance at international level. Like what Barty is doing, and Dasha is a goer, but apart from Nick Kyrigios, the mens are very bleak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen much of the kid but gee there is something about Alex Di Minaur. Structures his points well and has the guts to go for his shots. Along way to go before he reaches any great heights but has already knocked out world number 3 Milos Raonic, world number 44 Steve Johnson and enterprising teenage sensation Michael Mohh. Had a set up against another top ranked American in Ryan Harrison but a second set tie break went against him and into a third (and deciding).

Haven't seen much of the kid but gee there is something about Alex Di Minaur. Structures his points well and has the guts to go for his shots. Along way to go before he reaches any great heights but has already knocked out world number 3 Milos Raonic, world number 44 Steve Johnson and enterprising teenage sensation Michael Mohh. Had a set up against another top ranked American in Ryan Harrison but a second set tie break went against him and into a third (and deciding).
Former world number 3. Currently ranked 24

In other news, the Aussie open is in some dire attention. No Serena, no Andy Murray, no Stan Wawrinka, no Nishikori, no Kuznetsova, Azarenka in doubt, ditto Garbine Mugaruza.

Maria Sharapova at 8.50 looks very tempting. Roger at 2.88 is probably overs too
If there's any tournament to back a (relative) outsider it's this one. Dimitrov, Zverev and (dare I say it) Kyrgios are good value for the men; Svitolina, Kerber and Kvitova the ones for the women IMO.

Sloane Stevens goes down to Zhang from China, an unseeded player but only just. First "upset" of the tournament

Seeds & rankings are false readings imho

The best players time there runs well in both majors and warm up events. Who even is Pablo Carreno Busta? Apparently he is the 10th best player in the world right now. One title, 0 other finals. but still, ranked 10 at the Aussie open (ranked 11 in the world fwiw)

Soooo...

How likely are they to completely **** UP Super Saturday again this year?
$1.10 that they'll * it up completely. But, I'm an optimist so I'm taking the $8.50 on offer that it will be a swell day.

$1.10 that they'll **** it up completely. But, I'm an optimist so I'm taking the $8.50 on offer that it will be a swell day.

I'm wearing my Heineken hat, and I'll stare down the bar staff as I'm waiting in line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back