Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Why do they keep doing these before the season is over? Willian could score 25 goals and get 15 assists to cement his spot as player of the year.
One of the most annoying and nonsensical things ever.

Particularly when say two players have been neck and neck all season. They pick player A to win the award who then goes on to do nothing in the final 5 games of the season where as player B scores 8 goals and has 4 assists in the final 5 games. Yet isnt crowned POTY because it was given out oh you know before the season actually ******* ends.

It annoys me every year.

Also Player of the Year awards were bizarre.

Kane and Son finished 1 and 2 right? Spurs could finish 6th-8th?

Not one City player was even nominated were they? Or United players? So no players from the teams finishing 1st and 2nd. So bizarre.
Oh dear :$

Should we tell them guys :$
Willian plays for Arsenal and the season isn't over. So my point still stands. If they are talking about the calendar year, then this is a bit late as it's almost May.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Trying to keep up with all these abbreviations.

526642.gif

Homer: Look kids! I just got my party invitiations back from the printers.

Lisa: Come to Homer's BBBQ. The extra B is for BYOBB.

Bart: What's that extra B for?

Homer: It's a typo.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Granada lead Barcelona 2-1 with 11 minutes plus stoppage time left.

Edit: Granada have won. Atletico 73, Real Madrid and Barcelona on 71 points.
Going to be a fun last five games. Sevilla could do a Bradbury on 70 points.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Going to be a fun last three games. Sevilla could do a Bradbury on 70 points.
They'll have to beat RM to have any chance, something they haven't done in the lat 4 times they've played (although they've probably got a better chance of beating RM than Atleti has of beating Barca)

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ies Ferdinand and Ashley Cole on that list is a *****Ing joke. Probably that drunk Tony Adams too.

I'm jumping in late but I have to agree with the others. I don't understand how anyone with even a slight interest in football can have seen Cole in his prime and not rate him as a top class full back. This is a really bizarre call Elmer.

I'll never forget how Cole consistently nullified Ronaldo's influence. He was a phenomenal defender.

Ies Ferdinand and Ashley Cole on that list is a *****Ing joke. Probably that drunk Tony Adams too.
Cole one of the world's best left backs, just had shocking taste in clubs ;)
Les Ferdinand has one less PL goal than Owen and similar gpg to Owen and Fowler.

Far more deserving the Leeds flotsam and jetsam you put up :$
All the centrehalves listed will get in before Radebe, as should Carragher, Stam, Kompany, King, Keown.
Amazingly, Ryan Giggs was not on the short list. I think being a woman beater has left him off the list which is fantastic.
So taking joy in a former manc missing out because he's done some not so good off-field stuff... yet still hero worships campaigner of a human Luis Suarez. :drunk:
For the record my 6 votes went to Gerrard, Fowler, Owen (obvs) and then Le Tissier, Bergkamp and Ian Wright.
Picks Gerrard but not his two England teammates that were better than him in Scholes and Lampard. Odd.

Here is the list -

Tony Adams
David Beckham
Dennis Bergkamp
Sol Campbell
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ashley Cole
Didier Drogba
Les Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand
Robbie Fowler
Steven Gerrard
Roy Keane
Frank Lampard
Matt Le Tissier
Michael Owen
Peter Schmeichel
Paul Scholes
John Terry
Robin van Persie
Nemanja Vidic
Patrick Vieira
Ian Wright
Bergkamp, Lampard, Scholes, Terry, Le Tissier and Ashley Cole

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Cole one of the world's best left backs, just had shocking taste in clubs ;)
Les Ferdinand has one less PL goal than Owen and similar gpg to Owen and Fowler.

Far more deserving the Leeds flotsam and jetsam you put up :$
All the centrehalves listed will get in before Radebe, as should Carragher, Stam, Kompany, King, Keown.

So taking joy in a former manc missing out because he's done some not so good off-field stuff... yet still hero worships campaigner of a human Luis Suarez. :drunk:

Picks Gerrard but not his two England teammates that were better than him in Scholes and Lampard. Odd.

Bergkamp, Lampard, Scholes, Terry, Le Tissier and Ashley Cole
Not sure if I would put Bergkamp there - yet - prob have Gerrard and Schmeichel before him.

Not sure if I would put Bergkamp there - yet - prob have Gerrard and Schmeichel before him.
I would like to call my first witness. Mr Cruyff14

16 Peter Schmeichel
Manchester United (1991-1999;
app 292 - includes 1st Div appearances)
Aston Villa (2001/02; app 29)
Manchester City (2002/03; app 29)

View attachment 255396

At number 16 we find the Great Dane, Peter Schmeichel, unquestionably the greatest goalkeeper in Premier League history.

Every great team needs a great goalkeeper. Rarely, if ever, can a team taste sustained success without one. Schmeichel was the foundation that Fergies first great team was built on. And he remained so right up to the clubs greatest triumph in 1999 when they secured the treble.

Schmeichel was more than just a great keeper. He was a leader, a motivator and inspiration. How much confidence would it give you knowing he was between the sticks behind you? The man was not adverse to berating his own defence when errors occurred though. No one was safe, not even his captain.

Perhaps the one thing that pushed him over and above his rivals was his extraordinary ability with his throw-out which would set Uniteds flying wingers on quick counter-attacks. His distribution had to be the best I've ever seen for a keeper. His ability to make miraculous saves was also right up with the best of them.

Schmeichel went out in a high at United, winning the CL in his last match. There was nothing else left for him to prove. Two more brief spells at Villa and City followed, but by then he was past his prime.

11 Steven Gerrard
Liverpool (1998–2015; 504 apps, 230 goals)

wpid-article-1318688817910-0e62170c00000578-890600_466x310.jpg

Making his debut as a 17 year old in 1998, Gerrard went on to make 504 appearances in the Premier League for Liverpool, scoring 230 goals in the process. He was voted a record eight times into the PFA Team of the Year, won the PFA Players' Player of the Year in 2006 and the FWA Footballer of the Year in 2009. He was Liverpool captain in 2003 after Sami Hyypia, and captained the club until his departure in 2015. His determination and fighting spirit made him a natural leader who often spurred Liverpool on when the chips were down. He was also considered largely influential which made him a logical replacement for the Fin.

Gerrard was an incredibly versatile player, who started off at defensive midfielder, but then was moved forward where he played a ball winning role. As he got older, he matured tactically and found himself playing at 10, or as a box to box midfielder. His work ethic both in the attacking and defensive halves saw him excel further as a player. Gerrard was the complete midfielder. He could score, create, tackle, worked hard, had an absolute thunderbolt of a shot which made him lethal outside the box, he was pacey and had excellent stamina in his prime. Additionally, he was a very smart footballer, which allowed him to both break down attacks, and start them. A deadly set piece taker, saw him score his fair share of free kicks, and take corners to assist teammates. Fair to say that Gerrard's technique of striking the ball is one of the best in recent times.

Sadly, his slip against Chelsea is what most people outside of Liverpool remember him him now. But, before all that happened, Gerrard had firmly established his place among the Premier League's elite. A glorious 17 year career at Liverpool, unfortunately never saw Gerrard win the Premier League at Liverpool. While he was successfully continentally, and the winner of a few domestic cups, the one that he wanted most elluded him for his Liverpool career.

A fantastic career for a player who was considered one of the best midfielders of his generation.

6 Dennis Bergkamp
Arsenal (1995-2006; 315 apps, 86 goals)

dennis-bergkamp-scores-stunning-goal-in-ajax-training-01.jpg

When Dennis Bergkamp joined Arsenal from Inter Milan in 1995, the move was ridiculed by the English press as it took the Dutchman six games to finally score, but once Arsene Wenger joined the Gunners, the Dutchman flourished and saw him blossom into one of the Premier League's elite.

Joining for £7.5 million, Bergkamp scored 11 goals in 33 games, helping the club finish fifth and qualify for the UEFA Cup. Under Wenger, who could recognise his talent saw the Dutchman as a key to build a team around. A player with a brilliant first touch, outstanding vision and technique, Bergkamp would score outrageous goals while making them look simple at the same time. And all this while providing brilliant passes in the process, and being one of the key attackers in Wenger's Arsenal sides. He was incredibly graceful with tremendous balance and an excellent dribbler, but above all, it was his first touch and vision that made him the world class player he went on to become.

Three league titles, in 97/98 - where he was crucial scoring 16 goals in 28 games, and setting up 11, 01/02 where his partnership with Thierry Henry started to flourish, and the Invincibles season saw him see success in England. He won the FWA Footballer of the year, and Players Player of the Year in 97/98, and made the Team of the Season the same year. He also had two goals voted in the top 10 Premier League goals in the first decade of the Premier League,.

His crowning moment however came against Newcastle in 2002 scoring what many considered at the time to be the best goal in the Premier League, and one of the greatest of all time against Newcastle. After receiving the ball from a Robert Pires pass, Bergkamp took one touch, which flicked the ball around Nikos Dabizas, then he somehow found himself on the end of his own flick after holding Dabizas off before slotting it home. It was an astonishing piece of skill which left many speechless.

Bergkamp showed the composure needed to thrive at the top level, and had the vision, technique and first touch to keep him there. An outstanding footballer in every sense.

The defence rests your honour ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back