The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Planning approvals etc should have been obtained as part of their bid not 5 years after. It's a massive fail and there were other bids that would have been up and running much quicker.
No mate. You build 3000 houses and then put the roads and lights in 5 years later.

No mate. You build 3000 houses and then put the roads and lights in 5 years later.
Once again showing no aptitude for planning approvals and the length they take. Come back to me when you've spent 15 years in the industry... as I am regularly involved in planning approvals and preliminary designs, both in Australia and now in Ireland.

Once again showing no aptitude for planning approvals and the length they take. Come back to me when you've spent 15 years in the industry... as I am regularly involved in planning approvals and preliminary designs, both in Australia and now in Ireland.
I have no interest in what industry you're in or the perceived expert opinion you think that gives in this instance as it is completely irrelevant.

A club being 7 years into its existence (at best) before it has stadia and public transport infrastructure is a fail in expansion bidding and a fail by Football Australia in approving said bid.

That cannot be reasonably refuted.

That planning takes time is entirely beside the point.
The planning and subsequent developments should occur before a sporting league grants a new licence, not as an afterthought.

I have no interest in what industry you're in or the perceived expert opinion you think that gives in this instance as it is completely irrelevant.

A club being 7 years into its existence (at best) before it has stadia and public transport infrastructure is a fail in expansion bidding and a fail by Football Australia in approving said bid.

That cannot be reasonably refuted.

That planning takes time is entirely beside the point.
The planning and subsequent developments should occur before a sporting league grants a new licence, not as an afterthought.
Hardly a fail. Will they have a stadium? Yes. That's all that matters. It was the obvious choice of two despite the stadium. South Melbourne is an inner melbourne club with an average stadium that has a running track around it (And would be unavailable during GP time for 3-4 weeks) and Western United is an an area that is experiencing 34% growth of population year on year. You bitch and moan about it being suburban but you have to remember that the VFL/AFL was suburban and they all played at suburban grounds until the 90s and the two sports in terms of people caring about any club just don't compare.

Not sure why you have to be so angry all the time either. You post in here before about being "sorry" for flippant outbursts yet you do it all the time. It's beyond tiring and I know RPCB agrees given his previous post.

Hardly a fail. Will they have a stadium? Yes. That's all that matters. It was the obvious choice of two despite the stadium. South Melbourne is an inner melbourne club with an average stadium that has a running track around it (And would be unavailable during GP time for 3-4 weeks) and Western United is an an area that is experiencing 34% growth of population year on year. You bitch and moan about it being suburban but you have to remember that the VFL/AFL was suburban and they all played at suburban grounds until the 90s and the two sports in terms of people caring about any club just don't compare.
Then don't expand the competition until everything is ready or nearing completion ala AFL and NRL have done.
Please don't compare VFL/AFL football with the world game in this country. One is the most popular sport in the nation.

The other is fighting with Union for the title of 3rd placed football code in this country. And would be behind Cricket and Netball as well as far as our sporting landscape goes. There isn't enough support to send a new club to the sticks and worry about how to access it after the fact. Football in this country if it is to grow must make every post a winner, not approach expansion so half arsed.
Not sure why you have to be so angry all the time either. You post in here before about being "sorry" for flippant outbursts yet you do it all the time. It's beyond tiring and I know @RPCB agrees given his previous post.
Not angry, a bit miffed at how such a stupid decision from within Football Australia could be defended.
And I paid no regard to that comment either as clearly not what I was referring to.

Then don't expand the competition until everything is ready or nearing completion ala AFL and NRL have done.
Please don't compare VFL/AFL football with the world game in this country. One is the most popular sport in the nation.
You're conflating two things. AFL and NRL have not had an open expansion. They selected teams to expand with, that allows someone to know that they are getting a team and can start the building process of a new stadium, usually with the funds of the NRL or AFL which are richer than the A-League.

Western United was in a bidding war with South Melbourne and no one knew who was going to be the winner of the bid until it happened. You can't just build a random rectangular stadium and then no one come, otherwise you'll be on top of them like you are with the ALP for wasting money. The A-League didn't want to wait to draw new fans in, they need more viewers and ASAP to help the cash flow.

Those two things are beyond obvious. The stadium has had delays, but the naysayers jumping the gun on something like this is once again just the standard 2-3 people on this forum who are Anti-everything and just love an argument.

Hardly a fail. Will they have a stadium? Yes. That's all that matters. It was the obvious choice of two despite the stadium. South Melbourne is an inner melbourne club with an average stadium that has a running track around it (And would be unavailable during GP time for 3-4 weeks) and Western United is an an area that is experiencing 34% growth of population year on year. You bitch and moan about it being suburb
South Melb was a long shot. It was South East Melb Team 11 consortium that was a head scratcher. They’re in an area that has similar growth to Wyndham ..huge growth corridor.

They had Casey Fields to play at initially and it was the fact they were not going to have a stadium from day one that they missed out. Loooks what’s happened since. Here was Gallop’s reason for why they missed out ..in now looks ridiculous..

IMG_5018.jpeg

Do you not know the right people to pay/incentivise or is it something else?

Do you not know the right people to pay/incentivise or is it something else?
TBH in Ireland you don't need money, you just need to know them. 3 degrees of separation in that country. Hell last year the Brother in law was dating the twin of a girl who played Aussie Rules against the girls team I coached (from Cork as well, so miles away)

Other Teams: Al-Nassr FC

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

TBF. St.Kilda is the one club in the world where it would impossible to be a plastic.
More likely to be charged with child abuse for signing your kid up to a lifetime of disappointment and misery.
Yikes you think I've watched a single minute of Al Nassr? Hahaha. Oh my.

South Melb was a long shot. It was South East Melb Team 11 consortium that was a head scratcher. They’re in an area that has similar growth to Wyndham ..huge growth corridor.

They had Casey Fields to play at initially and it was the fact they were not going to have a stadium from day one that they missed out. Loooks what’s happened since. Here was Gallop’s reason for why they missed out ..in now looks ridiculous..

View attachment 1943063

WMG won the bid over Team 11 because they told better porkies about when their 15,000 capacity stadium would be ready. Even now they are only just moving into an interim facility.

There's been a grand plan for several years about a new train station near the ground with a whole new suburb in that area. I'll believe it when I see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WMG won the bid over Team 11 because they told better porkies about when their 15,000 capacity stadium would be ready. Even now they are only just moving into an interim facility.

There's been a grand plan for several years about a new train station near the ground with a whole new suburb in that area. I'll believe it when I see it.
Believe it when I see it is also what I think about a train station to the airport.
The paperwork and planning for that has understandably been delayed since the 1960s :sunglasses:

How long does planning on a master scheme like that take in Australia ?

Can't see there being many objections in Tarneit. Just a few locals asking why.
St Clair at the old Cheltenham racecourse was sold in 2007 and opened in 2013. (4.5 years)

This photo is from the WU women's game on 17th March. You can see the main stand, known as the Pavilion, which has about 1,200 seats. There appears to be no spectators behind either goal. The club has been shy about showing the other side of the ground. I'm assuming a temporary stand with no roof. I hope it's a nice day!

1711706141171.png

The other is fighting with Union for the title of 3rd placed football code in this country. And would be behind Cricket and Netball as well as far as our sporting landscape goes. There isn't enough support to send a new club to the sticks and worry about how to access it after the fact. Football in this country if it is to grow must make every post a winner, not approach expansion so half arsed.

Not angry, a bit miffed at how such a stupid decision from within Football Australia could be defended.
And I paid no regard to that comment either as clearly not what I was referring to.

AFL is a minority sport in NSW/QLD.

Covid set the entire project back 3-5 years but at least WU will privately own its venue. Something no AFL club can achieve.

This photo is from the WU women's game on 17th March. You can see the main stand, known as the Pavilion, which has about 1,200 seats. There appears to be no spectators behind either goal. The club has been shy about showing the other side of the ground. I'm assuming a temporary stand with no roof. I hope it's a nice day!

View attachment 1943285

There's a 3000 seat temporary grandstand on the other side. No roof.

There's a 3000 seat temporary grandstand on the other side. No roof.

From the website when I booked my tickets it's about 1,800. That makes 3,000 with the main stand. Little if anything at the goal's ends. I'm thinking the accounts of 5,000 capacity might be fantasy.

Standing room

Like the lack of information about the temporary stand, WU are being pretty shady about 'general admission'. There are rules around safe standing. There's no way they can sell 2,000 tickets to people who can wander around the ground willy nilly. I'm calling the current ground capacity at best 3,500, not the promoted 5,000 number.

Our A-League is attracting interest from the best European clubs when we reduce talent like this

I'm thankful we see such players here.

Not to be a bubble burster but how many young A-league players have gone over to decent European clubs and then come back in a few years? Taggart, Maclaren, Rojas, Burns, Djite, Amini, Ibini, Arzani, Leijer, Ward etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back