The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Got up to the swear word and stopped it. Not someone I would care about listening to.
First time I've checked in with their lot in months.
Must have lost this morning ;)

I just can't have Raya as keeper of the season. Can accept Alisson is the best in the league, even if stats don't back that up.
But not Raya.

I just can't have Raya as keeper of the season. Can accept Alisson is the best in the league, even if stats don't back that up.
But not Raya.
Rayas not even the best at his club.

But not Raya.

Sometimes football is a very simple game. Raya has conceded the fewest amount of goals in the league by a wide margin.

Sometimes football is a very simple game. Raya has conceded the fewest amount of goals in the league by a wide margin.
You concede less when the 4 guys in front of you prevent the ball getting to you.
Only City have conceded fewer shots this season.

His actual GK metrics are below league average.

You concede less when the 4 guys in front of you prevent the ball getting to you.
Only City have conceded fewer shots this season.

His actual GK metrics are below league average.
Yeah but the metrics also say Onana is good, when we all know he's been average. He has made some great saves but also let in multiple easy shots. All the excess shots that United are letting in boost his sv% and PSxG stats

Yeah but the metrics also say Onana is good, when we all know he's been average. He has made some great saves but also let in multiple easy shots. All the excess shots that United are letting in boost his sv% and PSxG stats
Onana has had a decent second half to the season. He was shite up until Christmas.

I find assessing goalkeepers purely using stats is difficult. A keeper like Raya doesn't have much to do because of the success of his back 4 and Declan Rice. He needs to maintain concentration though which can be difficult and the pressure is on him to make saves when called upon.

A keeper like Onana or any other s**t teams keeper probably save more shots during games than during training so their concentration levels should always be high as they are expecting to have to make saves constantly.

Onana has had a decent second half to the season. He was shite up until Christmas.

I find assessing goalkeepers purely using stats is difficult. A keeper like Raya doesn't have much to do because of the success of his back 4 and Declan Rice. He needs to maintain concentration though which can be difficult and the pressure is on him to make saves when called upon.

A keeper like Onana or any other s**t teams keeper probably save more shots during games than during training so their concentration levels should always be high as they are expecting to have to make saves constantly.
Good post mate especially re: concentration levels. Stats, in particular GK stats, are largely useless and more context is often needed.

Think RPCB summed it up best. Football really is a simple game. If you’re keeping to ball from hitting the back of the net, you’re doing half your job. If your distribution is also tidy, then that’s all you can ask. Raya is ticking both of these boxes.

Good post mate especially re: concentration levels. Stats, in particular GK stats, are largely useless and more context is often needed.

Think RPCB summed it up best. Football really is a simple game. If you’re keeping to ball from hitting the back of the net, you’re doing half your job. If your distribution is also tidy, then that’s all you can ask. Raya is ticking both of these boxes.

What if you concede more of the shots you face, or none, but your defence is so good you just don't face too many? Think it's more complex than some are making out.

Raya has only conceded 0.02 goals per 90mins less than Ramsdale. 0.1 over Alisson. Not a wide margin per 90.

C’mon mate lol. Ramsdale has played 6 league matches. The difference was always going to be negligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it might have been a Panenka before I started the clip and it was lol. That was a lot worse than Lookman’s. The goalkeeper could have dived, made a cup of coffee, ran a few laps around the stadium and still had time to stand up and save the penalty.

Good to hear he's on the mend.

Yes, it's good that he's well but the bloke should have retired years ago. With his constant, monotone stream of drivel about previous games and stats, often overlooking the events on the field, he actually diminishes the enjoyment of a good game. He's also got an annoying habit of making comments he thinks are funny and laughing at his own 'joke'.

Yes, it's good that he's well but the bloke should have retired years ago. With his constant, monotone stream of drivel about previous games and stats, often overlooking the events on the field, he actually diminishes the enjoyment of a good game. He's also got an annoying habit of making comments he thinks are funny and laughing at his own 'joke'.

You have just described this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back