Current The Peru Six

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Six young Australians are about to be placed on Interpol's most-wanted list as diplomatic tension mounts over a formal demand that they return to Peru and stand trial for murder.
Melbourne trio Hugh and Tom Hanlon and Jessica Vo and Sydney-based university students Sam Smith, Harrison Geier and Andrew Pilat have all been named as prime suspects in a homicide case that centres on the death of a hotel doorman in the Peruvian capital of Lima. Police allege that in January last year, the tourists killed Lino Rodriguez Vilchez by pushing him off the 15th floor of the building in which they were staying.
Not sure what to think about this one, travelling in large groups can cause difficulties and no doubt they were a rowdy bunch, not saying they threw the doorman off the balcony but they would be persons of interest.

Surely they will still be able to go to Europe and North America (outside of Mexico). If not sucks for them

they would be able to go to some countries,but once you are out of this country I wouldn't trust our pissweak government to step in if they were arrested abroad.

In saying that I wouldn't be surprised if one of the six had a hand in the incident.

wow looks a genuine who dunnit case or find a scapegoat to pin it on. Interesting either way.

I know it means absolutely f all, but 2 of the 6 look guilty of something in that photo.
It's the balance of probabilities for me, i've stayed on hotel floors where it's only me and perhaps another family, 15 floors up as they were, the cops obviuosly reckon it's between them and some other family/couple etc, defiant demeanour in the photo, just need one to break ranks, pity the poor souls are unable to travel overseas too.

It's a bizarre one. Have read a few articles on it and haven't read anything that indicates there is a substantial body of evidence against the six. Surely there's more to it. If the best they can do is a report stating that he couldn't have jumped then it doesn't seem a sufficient reason to compel them to return to face charges.

Surely they will still be able to go to Europe and North America (outside of Mexico). If not sucks for them

They could only travel to Countries who do not have extradition treaties and agreements with Interpol.

To the story, there's probably more to it than what the media says (no suprise). Its quite difficult when the occurence happend 1/2 a world away, which doesnt make it easier when trying to get a clear picture of the reality to the situation.

They could only travel to Countries who do not have extradition treaties and agreements with Interpol.

I guess that leaves them in a little bit of trouble as the 1928 exchange of notes has an extradition treaty between Australia and Peru, negotiated on our behalf by the British Government.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/other/dfat/treaties/1928/25.html

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/07/03/368456_news.html

Unsurprisingly the judge has decided they have to give their evidence in Peru and we know their not going to do so.

Next step for Peru is to initiate extradition proceedings. Will Australia honour it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that leaves them in a little bit of trouble as the 1928 exchange of notes has an extradition treaty between Australia and Peru, negotiated on our behalf by the British Government.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/other/dfat/treaties/1928/25.html

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/07/03/368456_news.html

Unsurprisingly the judge has decided they have to give their evidence in Peru and we know their not going to do so.

Next step for Peru is to initiate extradition proceedings. Will Australia honour it?

If the agreement still exists the Australian Consulate to Peru is to refer the application for extradition to Foreign Affairs/Minister's office.

We would politically be bound to the agreement unless there is evidence pertinnent which would prevent the accused recieving a fair trail. Then it would go to the courts appeals process here right up to the high court before the extradition order/request was enforced

On their own Facebook page, Mr Rodriguez's family called for the Australians to be brought to Peru to face the courts.
The family said if the Peru 6 were innocent, they should have nothing to fear in returning.
Nothing to fear except the Courts of Peru...

If the agreement still exists the Australian Consulate to Peru is to refer the application for extradition to Foreign Affairs/Minister's office.

We would politically be bound to the agreement unless there is evidence pertinnent which would prevent the accused recieving a fair trail. Then it would go to the courts appeals process here right up to the high court before the extradition order/request was enforced

There is reference to a strike ongoing in Peru by members of the justice system over there - I wonder if that could be seized upon as evidence that they would be unable to receive a fair trial.

Yes, but do you think the courts will actually enforce the order.

It would seem from afar that the political interference has had a role in pushing so strongly to name these 6 as suspects as much as any evidence. Unless there is something that the Australian media have kept their mouths shut about the risk of such political pressure that appears to be playing a role in the investigation must be considered a factor to the court system too and a concern that they will not in fact receive a fair trail.

If they wait to be extradited will they have to pay for the flights? Surely if you were innocent you'd go and fight the charges, only reason I can think of for not going is that they know one of them did it.

Yes, but do you think the courts will actually enforce the order.

I think there will be a bit of push and shove in this case and we shouldn't be sending anyone back until the Peruvian courts can prove there is adequate forensic evidence that connects the six with any wrong doing.

If they are guilty then they should be punished appropriately, but not in the bounds of a witch hunt Salem style

If they wait to be extradited will they have to pay for the flights? Surely if you were innocent you'd go and fight the charges, only reason I can think of for not going is that they know one of them did it.

Its tricky.. You would not go without independent legal advice. They were at the hotel, something happened. Travellers don't often get singled out for no reason at all.

Considering they we're allowed to leave the country originally and are now being chased a year later, I can think of many reasons not to go there.

number 1 being I wouldn't have much faith as a foreigner in Peru of receiving a fair trial

Yeah, wouldn't trust the courts as far as I could throw them in this one.

Many, many reasons not to go, even starting from the basic, if they stay here they live life as normal, but if they go it takes potentially months or years out of their lives as they fight the charges in the middle of a grand circus.

a. miscarriages of justice do occur, not least in Peru
b. Peru, iirc, has no presumption of innocence in criminal trials, they would actually have to prove innocence not just cast doubts over guilt. That could be a near impossible task even if innocent.

I think there will be a bit of push and shove in this case and we shouldn't be sending anyone back until the Peruvian courts can prove there is adequate forensic evidence that connects the six with any wrong doing.

If they are guilty then they should be punished appropriately, but not in the bounds of a witch hunt Salem style
Seems like it was a bit of push and shove which caused this problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back