The positives thread

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went to Williamstown a few times when the VFA was huge every Sunday a long time ago now.

This was like travelling to another country. To be in the outer at Williamstown was like being on the set of No Country for Old Men. You daren't say a word. Just rugged up hoping it would be over soon.
The VFA was a totally different country. Used to go to Sandy's home matches at Beach Oval.One day me and my other callow friends ( uni students ) were walking out after Sandy beat Port by 2 points. "What did you say? 'says a Port supporter with 5 mates, intimating we were trying to start something.. I am going to die here I thought. Luckily his mates talked him out of beating teh crap out of us.

Jan 11, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would not have picked this if I had been asked where our accuracy was compared to last year - I'd have said marginally improved at best. I wonder if it is just a function of us having less F50 stoppages where we generated pressured shots at goal from mids/small forwards?

Hippy has been kicking noticeably better this season, hopefully that continues.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Midfielders were the issue last year. Less shots on the run from Neale, Zorko, Lyons, Clug and JBerry

Simple as that

Midfielders were the issue last year. Less shots on the run from Neale, Zorko, Lyons, Clug and JBerry

Simple as that

I wouldn't want to say without seeing stats but it felt like our set shots weren't too crash hot for the first half of last year either.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn't want to say without seeing stats but it felt like our set shots weren't too crash hot for the first half of last year either.

Our forwards were reasonably good and probably made worse this year with the addition of Daniher.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our forwards were reasonably good and probably made worse this year with the addition of Daniher.

Hippy and Linc were going at 44% overall set shot accuracy last year, Charlie and Bailey were barely above 50%. Hippy was 34% from set shots which is quite brutal, charlie not much better at 42%.

We've lost our most accurate shot last year (Cam) who was 10% more accurate than anyone else.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hippy and Linc were going at 44% overall set shot accuracy last year, Charlie and Bailey were barely above 50%. Hippy was 34% from set shots which is quite brutal, charlie not much better at 42%.

We've lost our most accurate shot last year (Cam) who was 10% more accurate than anyone else.

But on the run they were good compared to Clug, Berry, etc.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hippy has been kicking noticeably better this season, hopefully that continues.
Hippy changed his run up to a straight kick over the mark very early in 2020
As we know his accuracy was still not that great for the year overall
However the last 1/4 of 2020 things turned around for him
He stuck at the routine and it is now paying off.
He will still have the occasional bad miss but i do not close my eyes when he is directly in front anymore
Raynor did something similar and he improved remarkably. Maybe that "miss" made him adjust his style.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been trying not to think about it incase I jinx his accuracy :eek: Some of his shots have been beautiful, straight through the middle. Working on from the end of last year, looks like things are clicking for him.

Not sure if he is still doing that double grab thing he used to do, some marks he took last sat were solid though.

gotta get his spekies back though! :p

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know it's just the one game but McStay was good accuracy wise and looked more confident kicking for goal.

It was a snap on the favourable side for a leftie (which mcStay has always been good at) and a soccer from the goal square. You can't read into it that much but I've been of the view that McStay's accuracy issues, while not fixed, were way exagerrated in the last 18 months.

I would not have picked this if I had been asked where our accuracy was compared to last year - I'd have said marginally improved at best. I wonder if it is just a function of us having less F50 stoppages where we generated pressured shots at goal from mids/small forwards?

Gut feel?

We're entering our 50 in the centre of the field a lot more often instead of going deep to the pockets.

The last couple of years that would lead us to a snap from a contest or a set shot on an acute angle. Both are fairly low percentage shots. This year it feels like we're marking more inside 50 and more often in front. I suspect Daniher is having an effect - if he leads to a pocket he'll often draw the attention, leaving a one on one match-up for Hipwood to dictate where he's heading, plus also opening up more space for midfielders who lose their opponent to pop up in.

Gut feel?

We're entering our 50 in the centre of the field a lot more often instead of going deep to the pockets.

The last couple of years that would lead us to a snap from a contest or a set shot on an acute angle. Both are fairly low percentage shots. This year it feels like we're marking more inside 50 and more often in front. I suspect Daniher is having an effect - if he leads to a pocket he'll often draw the attention, leaving a one on one match-up for Hipwood to dictate where he's heading, plus also opening up more space for midfielders who lose their opponent to pop up in.
The big difference looks to be set shots (66% instead of 45%) rather than general play (46% vs 40%).
firefox_2021-04-24_00-03-27.png

Here I'm comparing our first five games in 2021 to our last 5 in 2020, for something a bit less messy:
Screenshot_2021-04-24 AFL Goal Kickers Player Stats Shot Charts Heat Maps - Stats Insider.png

So, yeah, looks like we have changed up things so that we're taking set shots from more convenient places on the ground.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The big difference looks to be set shots (66% instead of 45%) rather than general play (46% vs 40%).
View attachment 1110049

Here I'm comparing our first five games in 2021 to our last 5 in 2020, for something a bit less messy:
View attachment 1110055
So, yeah, looks like we have changed up things so that we're taking set shots from more convenient places on the ground.
The OP was about set shot accuracy, not sure why in the field of play shots were included in the discussion.

It has been noticable for sure. I do think they are getting more shots from easier spots this year compared to last year. We used the pockets a lot in previous years, but i feel like we are getting better quality entries inside 50 this year. In saying that, we still play the percentages and go to the pockets and last year we certainly missed a lot of easy shots. No doubt it was worked on, and there is usually a bit of a lag time on those kinds of things. Working on goal kicking combined with better positions of shots means a much better conversion.

We are missing 3 really good players from our forward/midfield structure, yet we are really starting to get some momentum going. It is really great to see.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fatastic signing as other teams would have taken notice of him, especially the Dogs. Was nervous he might have got agitated if he was stuck behind Adams but l sincerely think he will be a 10year key defender for us and form an integral partnership with Andrews and Gardiner. Has everything you want as a key defender,: height, strength, speed especially closing speed, and is able to learn off the best key defender in the competition.

Fatastic signing as other teams would have taken notice of him, especially the Dogs. Was nervous he might have got agitated if he was stuck behind Adams but l sincerely think he will be a 10year key defender for us and form an integral partnership with Andrews and Gardiner. Has everything you want as a key defender,: height, strength, speed especially closing speed, and is able to learn off the best key defender in the competition.

Agreed, with 1 addition. A lot of big blokes have these attributes, but Jack can really play the game.

Back