The Problem With BigFooty

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by The Hitman
I love the concept of BigFooty, and I like the site. But I used to love the site. You can't dictate to grown men and women how to post.

Have noit really bothered to read the 9 pages of ensuing debate but unfortunately Hitters, you defeat the whole purpose of your post right there. Why bother with the rest of what you have to say, when you conclude with you can't dictate anything.

You come here for your reasons, other people come for other reasons. You say the General board is crap, others may say the AFL forum is crap.

People need to learn tolerance, only go read what you want to read, only go to a forum you want to go to. BB666, Blues Angel or anyone else is not forcibly making you read anything.

While there is a choice of forums on this website, and a freedom of speech, let people say what they want. If you don't like it. move on to the next post.

Most importantly though, you need to get off your high horse.

It's the internet. Everything is harmless. You cannot say that when I take the p*ss out of you that it is harmful. When people take little shots at you, it isn't harming you. You aren't in the corner sucking your thumb sooking for mummy.

Let's look at Docker_Brat's case, shall we. He took the p*ss out of some of the mods by putting some disclaimers at the end of his posts. Now, some of us do that for Dan26, etc to get a rise out of it. But the moderators and their holier than thou attitude which seems to state that they are untouchable makes them pull the trigger.

Why aren't I banned? Why aren't the majority of the people on the site banned? Is there a special law which states that the mickey can't be taken out of the mods?

When you receive a PM from one of the mods talking to you like a child when you are around the same age, you are going to treat it with a grain of salt and dismiss it. When you get a PM from a mod which says "look, can ya tone it down a bit?", you are more likely to get a positive result. Unfortunately the moderators have their head up their arse and don't seem to realise the authoritarian method doesn't work.

The Hitman

Sounds very much like you are paraphrasing DB there. How many PM's have YOU received from the mods?

Originally posted by Fred
Sounds very much like you are paraphrasing DB there. How many PM's have YOU received from the mods?

Three in the past month or two, all from Danni. But I have seen the ones to DB - and they all speak to him as if he is a school-child. How can you expect adult posters to post to suit your needs when you treat them as if they're seven?

It wouldn't matter if I was paraphrasing anybody, it's not that that matters, it's the problem. It seems the people who run this place are in denial of that problem.

The Hitman

Whenever I have conversed with Fred, Bluey or Danni, they all act in a condescending manner, as if we are "less than".

Very annoying, and very frustrating.

Originally posted by ozzult
Whenever I have conversed with Fred, Bluey or Danni, they all act in a condescending manner, as if we are "less than".

Very true.

I do have an opinion and I should be allowed to express it whenever I want to whoever I want to direct it at. I try to keep within the rules but I have had so many rude warnings that it's frustrating.
Bluey has been ok to discuss things with but Danni really has to come down a level or two because it seems like that she hates people who express their own opinions.
Fred has been pretty good to me.

Three in the past month or two, all from Danni. But I have seen the ones to DB - and they all speak to him as if he is a school-child. How can you expect adult posters to post to suit your needs when you treat them as if they're seven?
And there we have it, nice and succinct.

This 'banning' is more about revenge on Bluey's part for some posts I made that are now lost in the ether thanks to the recent crash and the fact I hae thumbed my nose at him for refusing to change my style. How about you change your style Bluey? Or perhaps the horse has bolted.

He thinks it is most amusing to ban me from even viewing the general boards (all the general boards, don't believe the mods if they spin it to look like it's general talk only).

Here we have a great example of the butterfly effect.

I've noticed that everyone is dragging BA's and BB666's names up, these two posters are a bit of a laugh IMO.

Oh Bluey, you've given me one warning in the past to stop stirring suzi and I did that, did I not? Perhaps if you gave me a list of kiddies who sat there with tears streaming down their cheeks every time I made an off the cuff remark, we may have something to work with. Most people don't seem to give a rats and dare I say it, enjoy my style, judging by a now deleted thread. Crikey even Collingwood supporters have been backing me and they've bourn the brunt of the stirring.

Worse stuff is said at the football itself, far worse. Tough world out there people, if you can't not get upset if someone anonymous rolls their eyes at a stupid post you've made, how the hell are you going to be able to handle that in the real world where it counts?

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
I've noticed that everyone is dragging BA's and BB666's names up, these two posters are a bit of a laugh IMO.

Oh Bluey, you've given me one warning in the past to stop stirring suzi and I did that, did I not? Perhaps if you gave me a list of kiddies who sat there with tears streaming down their cheeks every time I made an off the cuff remark, we may have something to work with. Most people don't seem to give a rats and dare I say it, enjoy my style, judging by a now deleted thread. Crikey even Collingwood supporters have been backing me and they've bourn the brunt of the stirring.

Worse stuff is said at the football itself, far worse. Tough world out there people, if you can't not get upset if someone anonymous rolls their eyes at a stupid post you've made, how the hell are you going to be able to handle that in the real world where it counts?
Mind you DB, people have been blaming me for your punishment.

Originally posted by suzi_olsen
Very true.

I do have an opinion and I should be allowed to express it whenever I want to whoever I want to direct it at. I try to keep within the rules but I have had so many rude warnings that it's frustrating.
Bluey has been ok to discuss things with but Danni really has to come down a level or two because it seems like that she hates people who express their own opinions.
Fred has been pretty good to me.

Seeee, even Suzi's upset by the moderators.
This has been a bizarre couple of weeks with everyone whingeing and whining.
Now we've got Suzi, the 'moderator's lovechild' as she has been called by others, complaining. Now that really is the limit, innit?
Suzi complaining that she's being treated like a child and has received rude warnings from moderators - very bizarre.
So who is really hard done by in regards to the mdoerators?
Give it up, get over it and just post/read what you want people! It's only an internet site, even if we all are addicted to it.
BTW great to see DB back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by ozzult

That's a bit rich considering my PM tracking list shows none to you going back to june 2001.

Let's look at Docker_Brat's case, shall we. He took the p*ss out of some of the mods by putting some disclaimers at the end of his posts. Now, some of us do that for Dan26, etc to get a rise out of it. But the moderators and their holier than thou attitude which seems to state that they are untouchable makes them pull the trigger.

Not once have I ever complained to a moderator, or had someone banned because of something they said to/about me. Frankly I don't care about that sort of stuff. You give it and take it. I'm very happy fighting my own battles anyway, while the likes of Shinboners runs off to his mates looking to be backslapped and applauded. That's part of the fun. Get three people onto me! Or four! Or five! You still won't win!!

To be quite honest though, I'm amazed at the general feeling people now have for bigfooty.

I'm amzed that someone of the intelligence and age of Mocca (26 I think) would just leave here, and announce it like he was geographically moving. This site is what you make it. He and the others in his clique will always have better discussion here than on a pure Hawthorn board because there are more people here and more scope for interesting discussion on a range of topics. It doesn't matter if they think the discussion has gone downhill right now. It won't always be like that. With the sheer weight of posters, and diversity of boards, this will always be the best site. And besides, Mocca is the kind of person who likes to start witty threads (much like TigerTank.) There is no point doing this if no one is gong to read it. Would he rather a brilliant pi*stake be read by 1,500 people on here or 150 (consisting of 130 Hawks) on their new Hawthorn board? (which is a great set-up too, well done guys.)

The point is, to just announce you are leaving is childish. It seems one of the reasons he (and others) left was because they felt they were being treated differently to Suzi Olsen. Let me tell you a little story guys: I've been on this site longer than anyone (bar a select few.) Not once have I felt compelled to respond to one of Suzi's posts. Not once. Other people complain and whinge. I just continue to post on topics that I'm interested in. Mocca (who is a fantastic writer) starts posts about her, pi*sstakes about her, and complains that she is treated differently. That's not the way a poster should operate. Who cares if she is treated differently! Does it really make that much of a difference to your day-to-day posting?

Think about it. If you are discussing Hawthorn's financial situation, Tottenham's recent form, or the price of milk, does it really matter how Suzi is treated? Does it affect any post you make, bar those that are directed personally at people? Life isn't fair. Deal with it. The golden rule is that if you are attacking someone personally, make sure it isn't offensive, make sure they are capable of a rebuttal, and make sure they are not too sensitive (most are).

Any footy fan on here who likes conversing with the supporters of all 16 clubs and who thinks that over a period of time, they are going to get better bang for their buck at a Hawthorn site than at bigfooty, needs to get a does of reality. There are always phases and fluctuation in various things and bigfooty is no different. Don't worry about the moderators and don't worry about the present state of the general board. You can't pick and choose who you want the other posters to be. What makes this site great is the sheer diversity. Leaving because you don't like BB666 or Suzi goes against the whole natue of this board. It is the people that make it and she is one of those people. If you don't like her, deal with it. Don't leave the place. If you see something that you want to respond to, then respond. If you don't, then start a topic of your own. Don't just take your ball and go home.

Too many people on here are way too precious.

Originally posted by Dan26

This is my 3rd summer here on BigFooty now - what is undeniably consistent each year is that at this time it all goes to ****!

My view is that it is because this is primarily a football board and we are about 4 weeks away from any action from starting again. And until this happens, the natives tend to get a bit restless.

Come game time, there will be plenty to talk about and this bickering will again abate!

Chill!

Originally posted by Fred
That's a bit rich considering my PM tracking list shows none to you going back to june 2001.

Don't you recall a few PM's talking about an 18+ board? Because I do.

Originally posted by CJH
This is my 3rd summer here on BigFooty now - what is undeniably consistent each year is that at this time it all goes to ****!

My view is that it is because this is primarily a football board and we are about 4 weeks away from any action from starting again. And until this happens, the natives tend to get a bit restless.

Come game time, there will be plenty to talk about and this bickering will again abate!

Chill!

It's not the bickering that annoys me. You get that this time of year. It's people who take their ball and go home (leaving bigfooty.) What do they expect to gain out of that? You are natutrally going to get more agitation at a site that has 10 times as many visitors as a local club site. To leave because of that is childish. Blaming the moderators is ridiculous. Do the moderators really affect what people write to any huge extent? No. Even if the mods are slightly over-bearing, who cares? They still won't have a big affect on what people write. If you're sensible, you can write whatever you want. 95% of the time, if posters have an opinion on a topic, they will state it. Blaming the moderators is a cop-out.

For those who are leaving bigfooty, you know it must suck to be you.

Originally posted by Dan26
Blaming the moderators is ridiculous. Do the moderators really affect what people write to any huge extent? No. Even if the mods are slightly over-bearing, who cares?

Yes they do. If you're banned from reading or posting in a particular section, if does have a huge effect on what people say. It's the principle of respect. Do people who are adults like or deserve being talked to like five year olds by people the same age? No.

The Hitman

Yes they do. If you're banned from reading or posting in a particular section, if does have a huge effect on what people say. It's the principle of respect. Do people who are adults like or deserve being talked to like five year olds by people the same age? No.

The Hitman

How many people at one time or another are banned from a particular section? 1 or 2 out of 1000? Big deal. Get over it.

You can't tell me that the modertaors affect what you write to any big extent. Do they influence you that much? Of course not. They have NEVER affected what I write and I've posted on here more times than anybody bar Jod23. If I'm about to respond to a post I don't think what the moderaters say. I think about what the person i'm responding to will say.

All this is making a mountain out of a molehill. Anyone who has left bigfooty for reason such as this needs to get their priorities straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back