saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Thought i would start a dedicated running thread, we've had a few different discussions spread over a few different threads from how to improve sprinting, to running a marathon.

I've always enjoyed my running particularly playing a lot of footy they went hand in hand. I've always been better at longer distances, speed has never been my friend.

So this thread can be for tips, advice, training, PB's etc.

A few of my PB's;

Marathon - 3 hrs 58 mins

32.5km - 2 hrs 48 mins

Half marathon - 1 hr 41 mins

beep test 14.4 (set when i was 21)

3km cross country - 9 mins 55 (set when i was 14)

10km fun run 37mins 35 seconds (set when i was 18)

I've gotten slower as i've gotten older, the bigger distance runs were all set in the last 2 years.

At the moment i am getting through footy season, i want to run the melbourne marathon in October, there is a 52km in Werribee at the end of October i would like to do as well.

I am coming up to the year mark of when I started to have a go at running.
As a kid I always hated running, I had a motto I'd stolen from a work mate "never run unless you're being chased"

Then a couple of years ago I did the couch to 5k plan and actually enjoyed it.. Then dropped away..

Last year I was looking to try get fit and figured I needed some motivation or a goal, a mates wife registered for the 10k at the Melbourne Marathon and I thought.. I can do that, so I registered as well giving myself 10 weeks to prepare.

Did the couch to 10k plan, goal was under an hour for the 10, i did it in 57 mins... Did a 10k in Geelong a month later wanted to get under 55, i did it in 53ish...

Then I was hooked on both the goal setting and motivation from it, and also just the great feeling after the run and how it cleared my mind.

Asked a few experienced runners I knew if I should tackle a half marathon or build up more as the half was only 6months after i started.. Was a 50/50 split really... Some saying to go for it, others saying to wait a year.

I went for it, trained for and did my first half marathon in Feb.. Goal was under 2.10, i had a shocker. Lost my way with my race plan, hit the wall massively about the 16k mark and it was the hardest thing I'd done.. Came in at 2.11 and was filthy that i didn't hit my goal.
Entered my 2nd half marathon in April, aimed for 2.05 or under.. My dream result was 2 hours. Stuck to my plan, had a really really good consistent run and learnt from my previous experience.. Came in at 1.58.
Was over the moon, 6 weeks or so from the run till end of May I'd just been doing 1 or 2 5-7k runs a week. Started going again currently building back up then next week start my next program which will take me to the Melbourne Marathon Half in October and will see how i go this time.

Also trying to work on getting my 10k under 50mins.... Speed has never been my friend so just trying to build it up to be somewhat respectable.

Random, but I found it interesting to note that one foot had a heel strike and the other a mid-foot strike when they showed the slowmo (03:00)

I signed up to the Melbourne Marathon on October 13 so it gives me just on 12 weeks to get ready. My running fitness has dropped off slightly during the footy season as opposed before the season when i was running a lot better. A glute tendon issued slowed me down just as the season got going, but its settled down now so hopefully i can gradually ramp up the running volume.

Plan at this stage is to try and get 2 running sessions a week (15-20mins each) - one Monday and one Wednesday on top of footy training (Tues and Thursday)
With only 5 weeks of footy left that takes me to the 24th of August. During these 5 weeks i will gradually build up the extra two sessions. Once footy is over it leaves me 7 weeks to ramp up to 5-6 sessions a week with varying distances, as the weeks progress the distances will increase also.

In early March this year i ran my own Marathon 42.2km around a few running tracks in my area in just under 4 hours. Initially i was just running to get fit for footy, i just started to really enjoy testing myself and running some bigger distances, i had been doing some pre season footy before christmas but really didn't start doing extra running on my own until late December. Over Christmas holidays i tried to at least go for a minimum 15 min run each day, and i just slowly built up from there.

So in the space from late December to early March i went from grinding my way through a 4km run to completing my own marathon in under 4 hours. Long story short i will be following my own instincts again to get fit for the marathon. The goal being to rub sub 3 hr 40 mins.

Great thread, I was just about to go hunting for advice re: marathons.

I’m going to be running my first full marathon in the Melbourne marathon in October - I ran two half marathons last year but stacked on the weight a bit and lost motivation. Have in the last few months started dropping the kilograms and by having this to prepare for I’m hoping I’ll continue to do so.

Have been doing a lot of hiking in lieu of proper running training, but will start my program next week and will hopefully be hitting my straps properly come race day.

Will be setting a stretch goal of sub 3:30 but will probably relax my expectations to a goal of 4hrs by the time raceday rolls around and I know exactly how my body has responded to training.

Anyone got any advice about traps to avoid for a somewhat novice distance runner?

Great thread, I was just about to go hunting for advice re: marathons.

I’m going to be running my first full marathon in the Melbourne marathon in October - I ran two half marathons last year but stacked on the weight a bit and lost motivation. Have in the last few months started dropping the kilograms and by having this to prepare for I’m hoping I’ll continue to do so.

Have been doing a lot of hiking in lieu of proper running training, but will start my program next week and will hopefully be hitting my straps properly come race day.

Will be setting a stretch goal of sub 3:30 but will probably relax my expectations to a goal of 4hrs by the time raceday rolls around and I know exactly how my body has responded to training.

Anyone got any advice about traps to avoid for a somewhat novice distance runner?

What times did you run your half marathons.

I am no expert, but make sure you in the weeks closer to the marathon you go on a couple of runs close to the distance so it will give you more confidence you can run the distance.

For me when i completed 42km for the first time two weeks before i run 32km and two weeks before that i ran 22km. I also find you can run 21km without needing to eat, but after that i needed to eat some sport gels as i went along. Make sure you take on water and some food during you bigger runs and see how your body responds.

Training is going well for the Melbourne marathon, I’ve managed to stick to 15-25 mins each Monday and Wednesday on top of footy training and game on Saturday.

Two more weeks of footy and then I will start to ramp up the distances and volume of training.

Anyone ran a sub 5 minute mile
after running a full marathon and a couple of halves i reckon this will be my next goal

Anyone got recommendations for decent runners for wide feet? Can’t find a decent brand that doesn’t end up with blisters either side of my foot. Always end up wearing through the sides within a few months

Anyone got recommendations for decent runners for wide feet? Can’t find a decent brand that doesn’t end up with blisters either side of my foot. Always end up wearing through the sides within a few months

I’ve got flat feet, and I’ve found my last pair of new balance very good to run in.
Maybe go to one of the stores where they can fit runners for your feet...?

I’ve got flat feet, and I’ve found my last pair of new balance very good to run in.
Maybe go to one of the stores where they can fit runners for your feet...?
Yeah I keep planning on that. But it’s finding the time haha

ASICS used to be good but have found the last two pairs s**t.
We’ve got a local company trying to partner with us so maybe I’ll just figure that out. Might be the better option like you say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I keep planning on that. But it’s finding the time haha

ASICS used to be good but have found the last two pairs s**t.
We’ve got a local company trying to partner with us so maybe I’ll just figure that out. Might be the better option like you say

Plus I hate shopping and a sales assistant rolls in asking me about my life. Mate I’m here to buy runners, find my size and leave me in peace!

Been running the past three weeks (twice a week). 1km . Did some sprinting during my jog on Saturday and my right calf has been sore as * since

Long training runs, Hoka Rincon. Any races that I'm in, Hoka Carbon X.
The Rincon's are like running on a cloud

This may be a question better answered by cyclists, but does anyone have a good recommendation on iPhone GPS tracking apps (that use the iPhone as the GPS).
Preferable something that has - average speed, top speed, distance, elevations AND (the gold one) the ability to edit/crop* & save (obviously).
Atm Strava is my most likely choice but open to other options.

*Say for example the app was tracking me for 3.4km, but 600m at the start and 800m at the end are rubbish/fluffing about. I'd like to crop the 600m and 800m off so I'm left with what I actually did

This may be a question better answered by cyclists, but does anyone have a good recommendation on iPhone GPS tracking apps (that use the iPhone as the GPS).
Preferable something that has - average speed, top speed, distance, elevations AND (the gold one) the ability to edit/crop* & save (obviously).
Atm Strava is my most likely choice but open to other options.

*Say for example the app was tracking me for 3.4km, but 600m at the start and 800m at the end are rubbish/fluffing about. I'd like to crop the 600m and 800m off so I'm left with what I actually did
What about just starting the tracking after the fluffing about? A few i know will separate warm ups and warm downs as separate activities and then record when they are going properly as it's own.

Or just keep it, obviously it is still stuff you have done/distance covered etc

(also there is a BF Strava group so you'll find plenty of others that use Strava here)

What about just starting the tracking after the fluffing about? A few i know will separate warm ups and warm downs as separate activities and then record when they are going properly as it's own.

Or just keep it, obviously it is still stuff you have done/distance covered etc

(also there is a BF Strava group so you'll find plenty of others that use Strava here)

Some context probs helps.
I downhill longboard (or at least try).
My order of doing things is typically; start tracking (currently using speed tracker lite), put on my helmet, put on my slide gloves, grab my board and walk (usually just 5-10m) to start my run (so this part is normally pretty consistent). At the end of my runs I need to either find a spot to slide to a stop or wait til there’s a road I can turn into (all depends on traffic conditions and how the run finishes).
Ideally I’d be able to set certain start and finish points as often I’ll travel another few 100m before I can safely stop (normally it’s cos a car is following so I just coast to let them past).

I’ll definitely check out the Strava thread as I think there is a way to create your own start/finish markers via Strava itself.

Some context probs helps.
I downhill longboard (or at least try).
My order of doing things is typically; start tracking (currently using speed tracker lite), put on my helmet, put on my slide gloves, grab my board and walk (usually just 5-10m) to start my run (so this part is normally pretty consistent). At the end of my runs I need to either find a spot to slide to a stop or wait til there’s a road I can turn into (all depends on traffic conditions and how the run finishes).
Ideally I’d be able to set certain start and finish points as often I’ll travel another few 100m before I can safely stop (normally it’s cos a car is following so I just coast to let them past).

I’ll definitely check out the Strava thread as I think there is a way to create your own start/finish markers via Strava itself.
Ahhh that makes more sense... There is an option in Strava to set up segments.. That might help so it splits it to what you want to take note of

Ahhh that makes more sense... There is an option in Strava to set up segments.. That might help so it splits it to what you want to take note of

If I can work out how to do it on Strava then it should be perfect for what I’m after.
There’s pretty clear landmarks wherever I ride (whether they be street signs, houses etc) so I’ll use those to create my segments.

Got Strava and it's pretty much perfect for what I want (I say pretty much as there's no option to select my sport as skateboard/longboard so now I'm stand up paddling on Mount Dandenong lol)

First 30+ minute run for months on Monday, was still feeling heavy in the legs after leg day Friday!

It's Wednesday afternoon and my calves are still struggling. Wearing a backpack for work wouldn't have helped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back