Food, Drink & Dining Out The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reviews sound like it is decent.

I'm not an expert but I'm starting to get into scotch a bit more. I'd like to build a bit of a collection the problem is I keep drinking it.

Bought a bottle of this after reading similar reviews to the ones you must have read

I'm not an expert but I'm starting to get into scotch a bit more. I'd like to build a bit of a collection the problem is I keep drinking it.

Bought a bottle of this after reading similar reviews to the ones you must have read
Yeah. It is like that. I have more than enough to last myself a lifetime. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible is worth the $20 or so - really good for getting your head around what sort of taste the different regions produce.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah. It is like that. I have more than enough to last myself a lifetime. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible is worth the $20 or so - really good for getting your head around what sort of taste the different regions produce.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The whiskey map was really interesting too.

I have always been partial to Irish whiskey, mostly Jameson, Bushmills and Tullamore Dew - but with scotch I find there's far more variance between what I like and don't like. I often find myself enjoying a good blend more than a similarly priced single malt.

I think there's a fair bit of w***ery with scotch, but there's also a 'blue collar' connoisseur feel to it if you just admit that you like some scotches and not others in spite of reputation or price, you'll generally find there's quite a few peoplewho think similarly.

For example, the three most enjoyable scotches I've had:

Sullivans Cove French Oak (only one glass of it, but it was great)
Johnny Walker Blue
Chivas Royal Salute 21

Two out of those three are mass produced blends, and probably overpriced. Thing is, they are really drinkable blends and very smooth. So for someone like me who hasn't got a long history of drinking scotch, they're great. I know JW Blue cops criticism, but I still find it very enjoyable - just expensive.

Folow up question: How do most people maintain their collection? Did you buy a bar trolley or something like that? I was thinking of getting a small bar trolley but choice seems pretty limited, and I'd like something big enough to store a fairly decent collection.

I don't want to have an awesome scotch collection and just leave it in the cupboard...

Picked up a litre of Ardbeg 10.

Have heard really good things, but that its very peaty and strong.

I opened the bottle and had a smell, it was overpowering. I think I'm in over my head with this one. Have been told its not a beginner's scotch.

Picked up a litre of Ardbeg 10.

Have heard really good things, but that its very peaty and strong.

I opened the bottle and had a smell, it was overpowering. I think I'm in over my head with this one. Have been told its not a beginner's scotch.

it's too much for me in terms of peat but perhaps it could be good with ice and a little time for the palate to adjust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a fan of the Ardberg, but I liked to Octomore black which is basically pure moss and peat so im a little different.

So instead of standing around smelling it all day, I decided to pour some and actually drink it.

First impressions:

Colour is almost non-existent. Its a very pale looking scotch. I have it with an ice cube because the smell had me fearing of spontaneous combustion if I drank it straight up.

I must say it tastes a lot less harsh than it smells. It goes down surprisingly smoothly and leaves a very warm feeling (not spontaneous combustion level, but very warm). Nice aftertaste too. Its quite surprising that it doesnt burn at all in your mouth, but leaves such a strong warm feeling once you've swallowed it.

Like I said, only having one glass, but I thought it might take two or three before I'd get the required taste for it. But I'm gunna go out on a limb and say its actually really nice. I just don't rate the nose of it, all I can smell is alcohol. Which also might explain why the taste is so surprisingly good. It doesnt taste the way it smells, if that makes sense.

Folow up question: How do most people maintain their collection? Did you buy a bar trolley or something like that? I was thinking of getting a small bar trolley but choice seems pretty limited, and I'd like something big enough to store a fairly decent collection.

I don't want to have an awesome scotch collection and just leave it in the cupboard...
I was thinking of a small wood cabinet, what is this bar trolley look like?

I'm now a fan. But it doesn't smell or look good you have to admit.

It will probably just take you a while to get used to the massive peat smoke aroma, I disagree strongly that it has any potent alcohol/metho-type smell. The colour can be a bit off putting for someone getting into whisky but that's what a 10 year old whisky which hasn't been aged in ex-wine barrels will look like without artificial colouring added.

Arbeg 10 was my first Islay whisky and I was a little indifferent about it at first but quickly grew to love it. Now own four different Arbegs which are all among my favourite whiskies.

It will probably just take you a while to get used to the massive peat smoke aroma, I disagree strongly that it has any potent alcohol/metho-type smell. The colour can be a bit off putting for someone getting into whisky but that's what a 10 year old whisky which hasn't been aged in ex-wine barrels will look like without artificial colouring added.

Arbeg 10 was my first Islay whisky and I was a little indifferent about it at first but quickly grew to love it. Now own four different Arbegs which are all among my favourite whiskies.

Yeah look I think I'm doin this scotch thing wrong cause I just forked out over a hundred bucks on a blend and I absolutely love it.

Hibiki masters select. So many flavours. Can only get it at duty free I think but damn I love this stuff.

Theoretically one could argue a blend should taste better than a single as a skillful blender has an opportunity to produce a product with various whiskies. I paid $180 for a beautiful Japanese blend recently and Jim Murray wasn't joking around when he gave the Ballantines 17 year old such a high score. Pretty sure I got the opening sentence on blends from Mr Murray actually.

Yeah look I think I'm doin this scotch thing wrong cause I just forked out over a hundred bucks on a blend and I absolutely love it.

Hibiki masters select. So many flavours. Can only get it at duty free I think but damn I love this stuff.

There's nothing wrong with a well-made blend. Nikka From The Barrel is another ripping Japanese blend which hasn't skyrocketed in price over the past few years like most Japanese whiskies. It's just that there are far more cheap, nasty blends out there than single malts which tend to give the style a bad name. Then there are blends that are way overpriced such as the Johnnie Walker whiskies which are far, far too expensive (Red and Black label excluded) for what they are. I'm not saying they're bad whiskies, it just baffles me that so many people drop $80 on Gold Label or $200 on Blue when the quality of whisky is worth about $50 and $70 respectively.

Bought a cheap bottle of kakubin.

Terribly disappointing.

Any better Japanese whiskies?

I was hoping it would be like their cars and food (excellent).

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

There are heaps of decent Japanese whiskies.

Google will help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back