Radio The SEN Thread 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My husband told me it was Rebecca Madden......when I was so shocked and asked was it an accident, he said no, it was cancer....to which I replied she looked fine and dandy bopping and sashaying around on the footy show final.

Oops he says......wrong one.

Incredibly sad, like her or not, she gave her opinion which most journos don't, they just follow the pack. Rebecca didn't.

RIP Rebecca.

I'm shocked about Rebecca Wilson. I remember she was on sen a few weeks ago and her voice sounded strange. It didn't even sound like her. Lots of people texted that her voice sounded bad.
That was the last time I heard her on sen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope I just didn't agree with a lot she said or wrote
I was in the USA a few months ago and I was at a friends place in a pretty big city , why do I say that ?
Well he told me he could listen to a Baseball game on one Radio station or two if he wanted to listen to it in Spanish.
I raise that because tonight we have the Melb Victory A league game on SEN the ABC774 and of course EON
Now I was watching it before on SBS and even though I do pump up the EPL on EON and I enjoy it at home ( dont have the tv EPL anymore )
Is Melbourne that big a market for Radio sports fans that three places all have the A league on the radio
Or is it a case of if you are doing it we bloody better do it as well regardless if only a few people care to listen to us
and how would they con advertisers that people actually choose to listen to the a league on the radio when its on the tv for free

I was in the USA a few months ago and I was at a friends place in a pretty big city , why do I say that ?
Well he told me he could listen to a Baseball game on one Radio station or two if he wanted to listen to it in Spanish.
I raise that because tonight we have the Melb Victory A league game on SEN the ABC774 and of course EON
Now I was watching it before on SBS and even though I do pump up the EPL on EON and I enjoy it at home ( dont have the tv EPL anymore )
Is Melbourne that big a market for Radio sports fans that three places all have the A league on the radio
Or is it a case of if you are doing it we bloody better do it as well regardless if only a few people care to listen to us
and how would they con advertisers that people actually choose to listen to the a league on the radio when its on the tv for free
Are you doing surveys now

Seems appropriate for a Melbourne sports radio station to try and do as much live sport in Melbourne as they can in my view. Good on them I say. Beats listening to no-names in some of those slots talking about non-events. As per that previous post seems like they're basically doing everything except cricket.

People seem to have a problem with women with strong and opinions about men's sport.

Rip Rebecca

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Posts like this, where any dislike of a woman is automatically put down to gender, are why people like me are howled down whenever we try to raise genuine issues of gender or inequality.

Undoubtedly, a lot of people hated her based on her gender. But to me, your post seems to suggest that it was the primary problem that "people" (presumably people in general) had with her. It was not:

- She was a hypocrite, criticising footballers (rugby league players) for drug or alcohol indiscretions despite her own drink driving history. She didn't believe she should be held to the same account as players because "players are role models".

- She wasn't qualified for her job - there aren't too many better examples of nepotism in Australian media. I think you can get away with a lot as a journalist/columnist if you write well, and if you tell good stories. But she wasn't even a talented writer.

- Ask people whose photos were stolen from their social media accounts and incorrectly put on her front page article about A-League "hooligans" whether their hatred is based on gender. There were people's photos there whose only crime was having the same name as someone who had been banned. There was another guy who has spent 3 years fighting his ban cos he swears he was a bystander who lost his job as a result. (There's just a tinge of irony that you're accusing people of baseless, irrational hatred when that was Wilson's attitude towards the round ball game.)

I feel bad for her kids to lose their mother so young, because obviously her work as a columnist does not reflect on her as a mother.

But after adopting the approach of "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" for the last 3 days, I can't sit here and have genuine discussions around gender, inequality and women in sport discredited by trying to use people's dislike for Wilson as a shining example of what women in sports media deal with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back