The Serious Covid Thread - For Those Who Want Serious Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

5G booster complete. Got Moderna.
Waiting for my new superpowers to kick in, a bit disappointed that I can't already summon a WIFI hotspot, move metal with my mind or surf Netflix with my eyes closed but I'm sure that will come.

No adverse effects so far unless you count the slightly disturbing movement in the groinal region if I think of Bill Gates.

Here's some positive research on omicron, pointing to it likely being milder.

In short, the study suggests that it'll evade vaccine antibodies (short term coverage after a booster) but it doesn't get into lung cells as easily as other strains, so likely to be less pneumonia.

Attachments

• FIGURES-OMICRON-PAPER (1).pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 22

Thailand after opening up now looks likely to reintroduce 14 day quarantine in light of the Omicron variant within the next few days. Several airlines which just reintroduced flights within the region have suspended them for up to 4 months. People who have gone to all the trouble to book a Thai Pass and flights now face the prospect of cancelling and potentially losing their money. The UK and much of Europe are preparing for a covid winter again. If Omicron is milder or not, it's having a severe impact on inter and intra country activity already. Victoria and NSW seem less panicked than much of the rest of the world at the moment.

Thailand after opening up now looks likely to reintroduce 14 day quarantine in light of the Omicron variant within the next few days. Several airlines which just reintroduced flights within the region have suspended them for up to 4 months. People who have gone to all the trouble to book a Thai Pass and flights now face the prospect of cancelling and potentially losing their money. The UK and much of Europe are preparing for a covid winter again. If Omicron is milder or not, it's having a severe impact on inter and intra country activity already. Victoria and NSW seem less panicked than much of the rest of the world at the moment.

I can't work out what Europe and much of Asia are thinking. They're trying to keep it out, when it's already in. And it's looking like it's much more infectious than Delta, which was already too infectious for lockdowns to work. It's time to let it rip, because vax levels are the highest they'll get and there really doesn't appear to be an alternative.

Thailand after opening up now looks likely to reintroduce 14 day quarantine in light of the Omicron variant within the next few days.

The fine print on Thailand's 1 night of quarantine whilst they processed your test was that if anyone on your flight tested positive, you were doing 14 days. I wouldn't have flown there.

The fine print on Thailand's 1 night of quarantine whilst they processed your test was that if anyone on your flight tested positive, you were doing 14 days. I wouldn't have flown there.
Although recently, with the abolition of compulsory quarantine for all, and the opening up of borders, anecdotally it seems that only the person who tested positive was quarantined - at their expense, at the less than luxurious or private TB and Leprosy hospital. So bad that an American mate of mine positive on the outward journey escaped one night naked from the facility - until caught by police and forced him into a pair of fairly presentable brand name black jocks.

Last edited:
Although anecdotally it seems that only the person who tested positive was quarantined - at their expense, at the less than luxurious or private TB and Leprosy hospital. So bad that an American mate of mine positive on the outward journey escaped one night naked from the facility - until caught by police and forced into a pair of fairly presentable brand name black jocks.
Bet Malcolm Fraser wished there were police on hand with spare daks / undies when his "went missing".

If I knew what CFR and CHR were meant to represent the tweet might seem a bit more meaningful. As it stands, it's just a bunch of words and numbers whose message all but totally eludes me.

CFR is case fatality ratio, number of fatalities divided by number of cases times 100, so what they are saying is that so far Omicron seems less than half as likely to kill someone infected as Delta.

I guess CHR is case hospitalisation ratio?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFR is case fatality ratio, number of fatalities divided by number of cases times 100, so what they are saying is that so far Omicron seems less than half as likely to kill someone infected as Delta.

I guess CHR is case hospitalisation ratio?
CHR is hospitalisation rate. The tweet has errors though - he was trying to say hospitalization rate throughout, as it's too early to guess at the fatality rate.

Anyone Else Find it Weird where we getting Told that Restrictions should come back but the Goverment is going the Other Way?
Actually, I rather like this new gung-ho approach to the virus by Victoria and NSW. It's about time politicians ignored all the safety obsessed 'experts' and allowed life to be lived normally once again. Even Dan gets a tick from me now for his performance. We have had the vaccines and are lining up for our boosters. It's summer and life is spread before us like a blanket awaiting a tasty picnic to be unpacked. Enjoy it.

Anyone Else Find it Weird where we getting Told that Restrictions should come back but the Goverment is going the Other Way?

If there is one thing governments do a lot of it's polling. I'd be betting at least Vic and NSW are probably aware by now that short of people dropping dead in the streets, even those who supported lockdowns to date won't take any more and compliance for things like tougher mask rules or limits on gatherings just arent going to be complied with.

We are heavily vaccinated now compared to most of the OECD, and crucially that happened later than most and so will not have waned as much. Add that to coming into summer and we are probably the best placed country on the planet to try letting it burn to gain herd immunity with the least impact in fatalities if that is the call. I get the feeling thats where governments are at anyway.

If there is one thing governments do a lot of it's polling. I'd be betting at least Vic and NSW are probably aware by now that short of people dropping dead in the streets, even those who supported lockdowns to date won't take any more and compliance for things like tougher mask rules or limits on gatherings just arent going to be complied with.

We are heavily vaccinated now compared to most of the OECD, and crucially that happened later than most and so will not have waned as much. Add that to coming into summer and we are probably the best placed country on the planet to try letting it burn to gain herd immunity with the least impact in fatalities if that is the call. I get the feeling thats where governments are at anyway.

Guess attitude they could take IF People don't want to Wear Masks and Keep People Gathering Down then they can take there own Risk by doing it so. Though sadly it would not just Impact them it can Impact People they Know and So On

If it wasn’t the last week before Christmas the restrictions would be a lot tougher. The health advice would be taken seriously.
There is no doubt all governments from all sides are now relying on the hope that this variant will not overwhelm the hospital systems. The worse case scenario is saying 200,000 cases per day. That’s a million every 5 days. The whole population of Australia in 6-7 weeks.
If you think any variant won’t overwhelm the system if this comes to pass then I’ve got a bridge in Sydney that I can sell you….

If it wasn’t the last week before Christmas the restrictions would be a lot tougher. The health advice would be taken seriously.
There is no doubt all governments from all sides are now relying on the hope that this variant will not overwhelm the hospital systems. The worse case scenario is saying 200,000 cases per day. That’s a million every 5 days. The whole population of Australia in 6-7 weeks.
If you think any variant won’t overwhelm the system if this comes to pass then I’ve got a bridge in Sydney that I can sell you….

Then should the Border to NSW be Closed with how many Cases they have

There's nothing they can do - it's in and it's much more infectious than Delta - it's going to rip through whatever they do. Just got to ride it out.

in 2020 in Australia we had 28,408 cases for 909 deaths. Most of these elderly.

In 2021 to date we've had 230,285 cases for 1245 deaths, the vast majority of these are unvaccinated

There's every reason to believe that in a highly vaccinated society we can get on with things and the hospital system won't be overwhelmed.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t work in the health care sector.

But what are you proposing the government's do?

It's too infectious. I think you should be doing masks, but they think this strain is 10 times more contagious than the Wuhan strain - which took Melbourne 4 months to get rid of - with lockdown. The dam wall is broken and it isn't going to be patched with masks or crowd limits. And cases will balloon even if you go back into lockdown.

in 2020 in Australia we had 28,408 cases for 909 deaths. Most of these elderly.

In 2021 to date we've had 230,285 cases for 1245 deaths, the vast majority of these are unvaccinated

There's every reason to believe that in a highly vaccinated society we can get on with things and the hospital system won't be overwhelmed.

You hope that but can't Assume it 100% will though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back