The stand rule. Do you like it?

Do you like the stand rule?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

See I'm not sure Prestia was even baiting Naughton there. There was a Richmond team mate running past for the handball receive. I think that situation would've played out exactly the same if we didn't have the stand rule.

Prestia goes to handball to the player running past, Naughton goes to move to block off that player so Prestia decides not to complete the handball to the player running past.

If Naughton doesn't move off the mark, the handball is given and the other Richmond player runs off with the ball.

What the stand rule does is make that handball option viable for Prestia, its all made possible because of the delay in the umpire calling play on for Naughton to move.

The rule starts failing in its purpose as the umpires get slacker on making a player stand the mark.
Yeah possibly. That's the issue with people like Leigh Montagna now saying if you feign to handball it should be play on, but what if it was a legitimate option that got shut down late? Shambles.

Players kicking for goal from almost next to the man on the mark (who is unable to move at all) looks terrible.

Players feigning a hand pass to dry and draw a 50 looks terrible.

Even if the rule allows play to open up (and it's questionable how much the stand rule does anyway) the above situations make said rule unpalatable.

No. And the protected zone I don't like either.

The stand rule should allow for lateral movement. Sort of like an off-side (dirty word for some fans). Can move across the field, but can't go at a 45 degree angle. Simple.

Protected zone should be play exclusion. Ie. A player can run through the z9ne, but cannot impact the play
Running through the zone inherently impacts the play though. It massively cuts down the angles you can kick the ball without it being blocked.
We had it in the round 1 game. Dusty ran through the protected zone (should have been 50 but wasn't paid). He had his back to the player with the ball, but as the player kicked it, he turned his head and managed to get a hand on the ball and deflect the kick. He shouldn't have been there and he shouldn't have impacted the play, but he was and he did and it was just play on. It's never going to be a perfect rule and it's never going to get called correctly 100% of the time.
I like it. I feel it opens the game up a little more. Some of the penalties have been harsh, but that's no different to any other rule (missed throws, getting caught HTB with barely any prior, etc).

Hate it hate it hate it. Any rule which encourages players to play for a free kick is a stain.
They all do.
Dropping the ball in the tackle to get holding the man.
The tackler dragging the ball under the player who is on top of the ball to get HTB.
The duck, leading with the head, raising of the arm to draw high contact (AFL has said these will be considered play on, but they keep calling it).
The lurch forward when scrounging for a ground ball to get in the back.
The jump forward in a marking contest to get push in the back.
The pretending not to get the ball back on the full to draw a 50.
Holding onto a player while they hold you, then letting go and putting your arms out to get holding the man.

They all do.
Dropping the ball in the tackle to get holding the man.
The tackler dragging the ball under the player who is on top of the ball to get HTB.
The duck, leading with the head, raising of the arm to draw high contact (AFL has said these will be considered play on, but they keep calling it).
The lurch forward when scrounging for a ground ball to get in the back.
The jump forward in a marking contest to get push in the back.
The pretending not to get the ball back on the full to draw a 50.
Holding onto a player while they hold you, then letting go and putting your arms out to get holding the man.

All examples of bad rules that require a heap of interpretation on the umpires behalf.

Looks the best when it comes to handball receives. A player on the mark is almost no chance to chase the runner and the game looks great. I feel like that’s one of the reasons dogs players shuffle back.

I actually like it, has enabled more positive play and more shots from in and around the 50m arc.
Scoring actually decreased in 2021 when it was introduced compared to 2019, the rule didn't do anything, just like all the other dumb rule changes.

Last edited:
Yep, while it hasn’t really increased scoring what it has done is open up the game more and we have seen the football be moved from one end to the other much more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, while it hasn’t really increased scoring what it has done is open up the game more and we have seen the football be moved from one end to the other much more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
First, how do you know that without the inside 50 counts for all teams for each season? Second, it still doesn't matter, there's still less scoring, which defeats the purpose of the rule. This season was down in scoring from 2018, and last season was down in scoring from 2019.

Scoring actually decreased in 2021 when it was introduced compared to 2019, the rule didn't do anything, just like all the other dumb rule changes.

It’s opened the game up. Definitely helps positive play. It’s not hard to follow either. Stand simple

First, how do you know that without the inside 50 counts for all teams for each season? Second, it still doesn't matter, there's still less scoring, which defeats the purpose of the rule. This season was down in scoring from 2018, and last season was down in scoring from 2019.

How about we take out the bottom 4 sides from that all were terrible, slow and boring. Get the ball forward the new rules help this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fail to see how it has opened up, when scoring has decreased. I also still see endless flooding, too.

Look at the finals matches- they are how the game should be played. Very open. Don’t look too much at the bottom 4-6 sides they are rubbish especially the bottom 4 of course they aren’t going to score.

Yes! It's allowed Daicos to laser balls through the centre corridor.

Commentators can't get enough of it!

How about we take out the bottom 4 sides from that all were terrible, slow and boring. Get the ball forward the new rules help this.
The best teams still aren't scoring as much as the best teams did, even 5 years ago. Only 1 team, the year the rule was introduced could score over 2000 points, compared to 2017, when 7 teams kicked over 2000 points. bad rule.JPG

Basically it has it's negatives and positives.
I do not mind it at all between the 50 metre arcs but think it virtually a farce and looks stupid inside 50 metre arc.
Overall it does not make a massive difference so I not lose sleep over it or think it done anything positive overall for the game.
I would like it if it actually was corrected to only be between the 50 metre arcs as then it would be in line with any original reason for bringing it in.
I simply think no one thought it through about how it looks when someone having a shot for goal the guy on mark is not allowed to move and player can gain an advantage kicking for goal that was never intended.
Hopefully they fix that mistake at end of this season and next year it only applies between the arcs.

I like how they have tried to fix some mistakes with protective area so hopefully they try to fix this next year too.

Basically it has it's negatives and positives.
I do not mind it at all between the 50 metre arcs but think it virtually a farce and looks stupid inside 50 metre arc.
Overall it does not make a massive difference so I not lose sleep over it or think it done anything positive overall for the game.
I would like it if it actually was corrected to only be between the 50 metre arcs as then it would be in line with any original reason for bringing it in.
I simply think no one thought it through about how it looks when someone having a shot for goal the guy on mark is not allowed to move and player can gain an advantage kicking for goal that was never intended.
Hopefully they fix that mistake at end of this season and next year it only applies between the arcs.

I like how they have tried to fix some mistakes with protective area so hopefully they try to fix this next year too.
What is this positive? There's no extra scoring, this year is down in scoring from 2018, same with last year down in scoring from 2019, or really less flooding. That's disproven with statistics and observation. Same with the dumb 666 rule, they don't increase scoring like it was promoted it would. They need to get rid of the rule, altogether. This isn't Netball.

What is this positive?
The positive is between the arcs, especially on the wing it reduces the negative holding up tactics teams used to try. It opens up play a lot more between the arcs and reduces flooding a little, with emphasis on little. It is why overall it is nothing big and also why scoring in itself has not changed much. But the fact is, between the arcs the flow of game is certainly better for larger parts of matches.
In the forward 50's I hate it. It should not apply then.

The stand rule itself is no good.

The idea to give greater benefit to a player who takes a mark or recipient of a free kick I am fine with. When you think about it, it has probably been an error in the game forever that the mark is taken to be where the infringement occurs. So a player running forward with ball in hand is say tripped over 90 metres from goal and gets a free kick. The mark is 90m from his goal and he kicks it from say 95m from his goal. In other words he is 5m worse off for the infringement than he would have been if no infringement occurred.

So I would be in favour of positioning he mark an automatic mark 5 metres forward of where a mark is taken or a free kick is awarded, so at least you are able to kick from around the area the mark or free kick occurred. But once the player is placed 5 metres back on the mark he can go anywhere he wants, just not over the mark. And perhaps this should even be the case if the player in possession runs off his line. The man on the mark can move laterally but not over the mark.

Loved it last year and still do.
Football is far too structured and zoned. Prevents the man on the mark encroaching with sideways movement promoting quicker movement from the mark.

What is this positive? There's no extra scoring, this year is down in scoring from 2018, same with last year down in scoring from 2019, or really less flooding. That's disproven with statistics and observation. Same with the dumb 666 rule, they don't increase scoring like it was promoted it would. They need to get rid of the rule, altogether. This isn't Netball.
Stand rule adding to the high scoring spectacle between Freo and Melbourne
…. That’s why it was introduced wasn’t it

no one gets it
can someone please please please please explain to me when the umpire says stand

we all get it he has to stand still but when is he allowed to move
- multiples are good to clear up this mess

a-ump calls play on is obvious one only
b-ball about to leave kickers boot -jump vertical only raised arms
c-ball about to leave kickers boot -no forward or upward movement allowed cept raised arms
d-leaves kickers boot and over MOMs head
e-fake handball attempted so slight movement is acceptable then reset
f-fake handball attempted umpire counts to 3 then calls play on
g-umpire reads minds and makes it up as he goes along

Back