The Teague Delay

Kouta2Fev

Debutant
Jun 18, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really. It doesn't fit any particular argument I'm trying to make.

If you mean our 3 mids with the best clearance averages in recent history, I'd suggest Cripps and Curnow are there. Raffle the 3rd spot.

Or do you mean, what is the most common centre square lineup when we win clearances?

most common lineup

Hunter 9

Debutant
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy has had 26 and 24 touches in 2 games this season. He may not be at his best but he is still accumulating.

We don't have many in our squad that can consistently get over 20 touches a game.
Opposition teams no longer cover him as he doesn't break the lines and disposals are not damaging, whilst his direct opponent carves us to pieces "Petracca" Forward pocket and pinch hit in the middle at best these days, hope he can turn back the clock and win over Selwood or Danger, they are closer to his speed so expecting 5 plus tackles this week.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
I have to wonder if the slow starts come down to not having a real game plan or playing style. I mean I'm sure it's a combination of things, but it seems to me that there is not really a "brand" of football or identity associated with Carlton on-field currently.

First quarters are horrible, second quarters aren't great but are better than firsts after we've had a few minutes break to make some minor changes and address the troops, and then second halves are generally very solid.

It could just be a coincidence, but once the coaches can address the other teams' tactics and play style we just get better and better, and it appears to be that we are adjusting our style to theirs rather than just playing our own style. I would think that this would change as our forward and midfield setups increase their cohesion and get used to playing alongside each other, but I'm not sure just blaming it all on a lack of effort or intent early is completely fair. Might be that this team needs to focus on a heavily defensive game-plan for the first quarter until that cohesion develops and then adjust it from there instead of whatever we're doing so far.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Opposition teams no longer cover him as he doesn't break the lines and disposals are not damaging, whilst his direct opponent carves us to pieces "Petracca" Forward pocket and pinch hit in the middle at best these days, hope he can turn back the clock and win over Selwood or Danger, they are closer to his speed so expecting 5 plus tackles this week.
Maybe the cats should have covered him running forward because the 2 goals he kicked were pretty vital.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Well we finally got off to not only a good start but a very strong start so that was really pleasing, we displayed a ‘brand’ of footy that up until the weekend I hadn’t seen, hopefully becomes the way we play, those first three quarters provided all the essentials that need to be produced to become a great side... The template has just been made, now we build on that...

I really feel like this needs to be addressed again. In all 3 losses this year, we have been very very poor at the start of the game. We can talk about players we need, and we can talk about players who should be dropped and players that need to come in, but imo this is the #1 issue that needs to be sorted out quickly. Firstly our coaches need to make sure we are ready from the first bounce. I'm not sure how this can change so dramatically from week to week, but whatever we did before the Geelong and Essendon games needs to be the standard.

The next thing that needs to happen is our leaders need to let the entire playing group that these starts cannot and will not be tolerated any more. We have lost to teams in Melbourne and St.Kilda where we know if we play our best footy for long enough we should be able to win these games of footy. You could almost see from the first bounce last night we weren't ready to play.

And finally, the players themselves need to take ownership of their own games, and realise they can't always rely on a Cripps to get them over the line.

The moves to quell Cripps and Docherty really hurt.
They did.

It didn't look like we'd planned for those scenarios though. We just kept on doing what wasn't working. Puzzling.

They did.

It didn't look like we'd planned for those scenarios though. We just kept on doing what wasn't working. Puzzling.

I couldn't work that out either. As I said in another thread, they were always going to use Steele on Cripps so I don't get why we didn't plan for that. We also need to come up with a plan to free Doc up in the backhalf like we did against Essendon.

DirtyLeeds

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2018
Soldiers Hill, Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golf handicap 16
I couldn't work that out either. As I said in another thread, they were always going to use Steele on Cripps so I don't get why we didn't plan for that. We also need to come up with a plan to free Doc up in the backhalf like we did against Essendon.
Said the same thing, he's done that the last five games, so you counter it by starting Cripps in the goal square, puy Rats on the back foot. Didn't happen, DT is reactive, not presumptive.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Said the same thing, he's done that the last five games, so you counter it by starting Cripps in the goal square, puy Rats on the back foot. Didn't happen, DT is reactive, not presumptive.

How bloody long has Barker been there ?
He’s seen this before
Isn’t he charged with midfield responsibility ?
Getting tired of this timid organisation !!

They seemed peeved from very early on. Something not right.

I would have tried that as well. Give St.Kilda something to think about

new_blue

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I accept that we may lose our fair share of quarters, but what bugs me is the way that we’re losing them. In our 3 losses we got our pants pulled down and had no response.

If a team’s on top of us and wining the clearances we need to have a plan to neutralise the contest for 5-10 mins and then see if we can turn the tide. This doesn’t seem to be Teague’s style.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, the rebuild is over.
Silvagni and Bolton owned and drove the rebuild and they are obviously now gone.
Lloyd and Teague have no stake in the rebuild and they have clearly laid their cards on the table.
They are generally selecting the most experienced team they can, there can be no more references to a “young team”.
The discussion now is :
Is this experienced team our best team for the now let alone going forward.

Newnes over Philp ?
Murphy over Dow ?
Kennedy over Fisher ?
Simpson over O’Brien ?
Curnow over Stocker ?
Pittonet/Casboult over TDK ?

They also originally preferred Newman over Williamson.
Teague also demanded Betts, who must be replaced for next season.

Some will roll out the old “we can’t gift games to youngsters” line, and i largely agree.
Equally, why should experienced players be gifted games if their performance is no better than that of the youth ?
A birth certificate is no guarantee of quality performance.
It’s all very well for Teague and his football department to set and demand standards from the younger players, that’s as it should be.
The problem is when these standards are compromised by the proffered experienced players in their conditional performance.
Fisher was selected for last week’s game, only to subsequently miss through gastro at the last minute.
Why then, after very poor performances last week from a number of the anointed birth certificates was Fisher not included this week ?

Double standards are a very dangerous thing in a football club ...

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
As much as we can blame the coaches and MC for our sluggish/inconsistent starts, the players also need to step up to the plate and take aome ownership and responsibility.

If I am not mistaken, the wins over Geelong and Essendon went to their heads, and thus, approached the Saints in a far to caviliar/complacent attitude, going by that inept, I'll disciplined first quarter/half..

This has been an ongoing issue at this club for years, and it's driving me nuts.

The players need to stop believing their own hype after a win, and always approach every game with the same gritty attitude and workrate like how they did against Geelong.

If they Can start doing that every week (fingers crossed) we start winning a lot more games..

Not to much to ask for the players (collectively as a team) to be more mentally switched on and be prepared to work hard right before the opening bounce is it ???

Back