The WACA - Downfall

Yes I did have to laugh with them making a big deal out of it and us wearing the "retro" shirts from a whole 6 years ago :D
To be fair, it's a whole lot better than the regular Scorchers shirts.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
That's exactly the reason.

I remember reading in Dennis Cometti's book that he was on the committee set up to decide whether lights at the WACA were viable just before the Eagles came in. Essentially they found that the VFL didn't give a rats ass where or when they played as long as the licence fee came in on time, and cricket would only use the lights once or twice a year. Consequently they were going to recommend no lights at the WACA. Just before they officially reported back, they were told the decision had been made by the government and it no longer mattered what they thought.

I remember going to a game at the WACA, WCE v Brisbane (when Capper was playing with them) and it was definitely a day game.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps Gloucester Park could take over the WACA land and expand it for the trots. Seems to be the only venue in the country that people actually attend and it has the best racing in Australia too. (I know it would never happen with what the land would be worth)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Perhaps Gloucester Park could take over the WACA land and expand it for the trots. Seems to be the only venue in the country that people actually attend and it has the best racing in Australia too. (I know it would never happen with what the land would be worth)

Why would more ground area help the trots?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
It was also a Brisbane home game...!

Well there you go. I think from memory that Capper kicked 6 and Brissie didn't kick much more for the game. What crowd were watching were really giving it to him but it seemed to me that half the crowd were down behind the stands, drinking at the bars for the whole game.

Yep, just looked it up. Round 3, 1988, Capper kicked 6 of 10 and Glendenning kicked 6 of 29 for WCE. I see that Phil Walsh played for the Bad News Bears and had 30 touches and kicked a goal.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Then where would the WACA administration relocate to. Where would they develop their juniors, play Shield cricket and play international cricket against the likes of NZ, WI, Pakistan and Sri Lanka where not even 15000 would turn up once the "new stadium" appeal wears off. I'm sure the AFL wouldn't want the same headache with Perth Stadium that they once had with the MCG and cricket every March. The WACA Ground still has a purpose and a future.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Then where would the WACA administration relocate to. Where would they develop their juniors, play Shield cricket and play international cricket against the likes of NZ, WI, Pakistan and Sri Lanka where not even 15000 would turn up once the "new stadium" appeal wears off. I'm sure the AFL wouldn't want the same headache with Perth Stadium that they once had with the MCG and cricket every March. The WACA Ground still has a purpose and a future.

I don't particularly care. I prefer the trots to the cricket. I did say in the post that you quoted that it wouldn't happen.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

You could play Shield cricket anywhere with a decent turf wicket, practice nets and decent changerooms. You don't need grandstands because no one watches it.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
You could play Shield cricket anywhere with a decent turf wicket, practice nets and decent changerooms. You don't need grandstands because no one watches it.
To breed test quality players they should be playing on real Test wickets. Suburban turf wickets won't cut it. Shield cricket was never about the crowds.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
To breed test quality players they should be playing on real Test wickets. Suburban turf wickets won't cut it. Shield cricket was never about the crowds.

Given most (if not all) tests will be played across the river, the WACA wicket could end up being just as much a non-test wicket than anywhere else.

The worth of the land could easily drive the WACA to the suburbs. Years ago it was mooted that a small venue could be built at Curtin Uni, that seems as logical a solution as anywhere else.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given most (if not all) tests will be played across the river, the WACA wicket could end up being just as much a non-test wicket than anywhere else.

The worth of the land could easily drive the WACA to the suburbs. Years ago it was mooted that a small venue could be built at Curtin Uni, that seems as logical a solution as anywhere else.
Another dumb proposition from you

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Somewhere near one of the airports (Perth or Jandakot) might be a goer. Cheap land not usable for housing or many other purposes. Might be just the thing to develop into a sports field.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What about the current performance facility at Murdoch? Have never had the chance to play there (or even lay my eyes on it) since it's opened probably about five years ago but know they do a lot of training down there and play womens & futures league. Is it significantly constrained for space?

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What about the current performance facility at Murdoch? Have never had the chance to play there (or even lay my eyes on it) since it's opened probably about five years ago but know they do a lot of training down there and play womens & futures league. Is it significantly constrained for space?
Not at all, it’s a massive area but Murdoch have their heads so far up their bums something like that would take years to happen (and then just not end up happening).

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
play international cricket against the likes of NZ, WI, Pakistan and Sri Lanka where not even 15000 would turn up once the "new stadium" appeal wears off.

International cricket will never be played there again. "Oh we'll still play the s**t teams there" is just the line they're running with until WACA members realise they don't care.

I'm sure the AFL wouldn't want the same headache with Perth Stadium that they once had with the MCG and cricket every March.

Doubt that's a problem. If it's like Adelaide Oval then the formal arrangement is cricket has to piss off by March.

The WACA Ground still has a purpose and a future.

For untelevised cricket, yes. But they'll probably sell it one day for the money and build a low key replacement somewhere cheap.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will be a shame to lose the WACA but there really isn't the population or need for it, is there?

In a way I don't mind the idea of getting rid of Leederville Oval and getting Subiaco to play at what will essentially be a done up school ground at Subi (with a grandstand and mostly grass banks – not those ugly limestone things at half the WAFL grounds now) and East Perth return to the WACA (along with the WAFC). Play WA U18 games at the WACA, as well as the WAAFL granny and school level finals etc.

Back